Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Cptn_Cleetis

Reaction score
Members Ride
1999 WH statesman
Hey fellas/lasses just needing some advice about my car/engine (WH statesman, N/A 3.8 V6.. pretty sure an L67) I was talking to one of my mates earlier today about cars and then I bought up my car and what I want to do with it, I told him the car and engine she has in her and that later on down the track I plan on supercharging it. Immediately he told me it wasn't a great idea as one of his mates supercharged a freshly rebuilt L67 and it lasted 3 days before it blew up... Obviously I'm not sure how to feel about that as I could swear that motor comes out of the factory with a supercharger on it on like the vx or vt and on other WH's(I think) I'm thinking it comes down to driver error as my mate said it was a fresh built motor which was then supercharged so I feel he just flogged it.. could someone help confirm/deny and maybe even tell me what I should do to the motor to give it some extra kick whilst still keeping it reliable.. thankyou Holden guros out there

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
Ummmm, L67 already has a super charger on it.

Ginger Beer

Reaction score
Members Ride
Dunnydoore
Your friends mate could possibly be an idiot

1: work out what engine you have

2: service the hell out of the car

3: spend a few months researching

4: don't buy any parts (apart from parts required to service the car)

Shopping list: flush every fluid and replace every filter, engine, transmission, diff, brakes, cooling, just put your number plate and state in the Supercheapauto.com.au thingie

Inspect all the serpentine belts and replace if required

You got tools???

Your gonna need jack and jack stands to work safely

Stay safe, have fun and don't spend all your money on car parts

Post picks of car

Cptn_Cleetis

Reaction score
Members Ride
1999 WH statesman
Your friends mate could possibly be an idiot

1: work out what engine you have

2: service the hell out of the car

3: spend a few months researching

4: don't buy any parts (apart from parts required to service the car)

Shopping list: flush every fluid and replace every filter, engine, transmission, diff, brakes, cooling, just put your number plate and state in the Supercheapauto.com.au thingie

Inspect all the serpentine belts and replace if required

You got tools???

Your gonna need jack and jack stands to work safely

Stay safe, have fun and don't spend all your money on car parts

Post picks of car
Yeah I've serviced it a **** tone since I got it changed air/oil filter (both Ryco) put new oil in in (nylon 15w40 semi synthetic) and I'm going to replace the fuel filter, I've flushed the radiator put new coolant in but I haven't touched the transmission, diff or brakes because the fella I got it off had recently done the brakes and suspension (he wasn't just bullshitting me for a sale as well because I actually know the dude) I have jacks and stands I'm just wondering if my motor should be able to handle it because it is pretty clapped, and I won't boost it unless I know it's not going to **** the engine, cheers for your reply mate honestly didn't think anyone would take me seriously because of my lack of knowledge and experience

Ginger Beer

Reaction score
Members Ride
Dunnydoore
Yeah I've serviced it a **** tone since I got it changed air/oil filter (both Ryco) put new oil in in (nylon 15w40 semi synthetic) and I'm going to replace the fuel filter, I've flushed the radiator put new coolant in but I haven't touched the transmission, diff or brakes because the fella I got it off had recently done the brakes and suspension (he wasn't just bullshitting me for a sale as well because I actually know the dude) I have jacks and stands I'm just wondering if my motor should be able to handle it because it is pretty clapped, and I won't boost it unless I know it's not going to **** the engine, cheers for your reply mate honestly didn't think anyone would take me seriously because of my lack of knowledge and experience

What type of boost?
How much boost?
Who is tuning?
Supporting mods?

I would first google the hell out of it. There is alot of info about boosting L36 engines on the interwebs, the yanks have been doing it for years as well

A nicely sized turbo with a little well tuned boost should be ok, for a while, well the engine anyway, the trans and diff may last I run

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
If the car is fairly clapped out like you say it is its probably not worth fitting new heads and an M90 to an old Eco. Up to you though if you feel you want to and have $2,000 to spare it might be a bit of fun. Just don't expect huge numbers from a stockish Eco with a basic top swap. The M90 can give you some reasonable numbers but it will be expensive and a lot more than $2k.

VYCommodore76

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Commy
sell it and get a V8. Waste of money boosting an ecotec. They are a different motor to the supercharged v6

J_D 2.0

Reaction score
Members Ride
2009 VE SSV M6 on LPG and 2022 Kawasaki Z650L
Hey fellas/lasses just needing some advice about my car/engine (WH statesman, N/A 3.8 V6.. pretty sure an L67) I was talking to one of my mates earlier today about cars and then I bought up my car and what I want to do with it, I told him the car and engine she has in her and that later on down the track I plan on supercharging it. Immediately he told me it wasn't a great idea as one of his mates supercharged a freshly rebuilt L67 and it lasted 3 days before it blew up... Obviously I'm not sure how to feel about that as I could swear that motor comes out of the factory with a supercharger on it on like the vx or vt and on other WH's(I think) I'm thinking it comes down to driver error as my mate said it was a fresh built motor which was then supercharged so I feel he just flogged it.. could someone help confirm/deny and maybe even tell me what I should do to the motor to give it some extra kick whilst still keeping it reliable.. thankyou Holden guros out there
If the person in question just slapped a SC on a standard NA rebuilt engine than its probably no wonder it grenaded itself. You would need to get the engine built for supercharging. Probably not a cheap proposition but it’s the only way to do it if you want reliability.