Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Is anyone considering the NG commodore after their VF?

Forg

Reaction score
Members Ride
Regal Peackock VF SS-V Redline Wagoon
Nope, don't need any of it.
Driver assist aids are a w@nk imo and are only there to assist inept and poorly skilled drivers. I've survived perfectly well without them and don't intend to start using them now.
As for Android/Carplay, I was perfectly happy using cd's for my music and a Melway instead of a gps.
While I am not against progress and I see a lot of merit in new tech, I think a major downside is that it has made people dumb, lazy and inattentive.
Radar cruise & SatNav don't exactly fit into the category of "assisting inept and poorly skilled drivers".
Finding somewhere to pull-over and check the Gregory's is impossible a lot of the time, not without getting in everyone's way half the time.
And radar cruise ... how can you not have a full-on woodie for that? Being able to set your speed limit & drive without fear of the rozzers, that's just Gold!

zero_tolerance

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
MY17 VFII Redline
Radar cruise & SatNav don't exactly fit into the category of "assisting inept and poorly skilled drivers".
Finding somewhere to pull-over and check the Gregory's is impossible a lot of the time, not without getting in everyone's way half the time.
And radar cruise ... how can you not have a full-on woodie for that? Being able to set your speed limit & drive without fear of the rozzers, that's just Gold!
Each to their own mate. I can see your point of view but I'm old school and prefer to do things the traditional way. I've been driving for 20 years and have managed perfectly well without all this fandangled driver assist tech. A skilled driver simply doesn't need it and imo it is just a nuisance and induces inattentiveness and laziness.
As for maps, I prefer to look at a physical map so I can plan my journey and know exactly where I'm going before I head off, rather than blindly following a gps.

Forg

Reaction score
Members Ride
Cruise control isn't exactly 'driver assist tech', it's just something to make long-distance drives more comfortable & fuel-efficient. And cheaper, especially in Victoria!

I don't know how you can remember an entire trip off a map you looked at before you left ... your memory's got at least 50 intersection's worth more capacity than mine. :)

lmoengnr

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
MY12.5 Maloo R8, MY12 Redline ute, Magnum 224
And cheaper, especially in Victoria!

Two items of 'driver assist tech' I'd like fitted...
1. Legal radar jammers.
2. 'Active number plates' that spell out a message to speed cameras...

cruelass

Reaction score
Members Ride
2007 VE SS
Unless a turbo AWD version that can beat the current V8 I wouldn't even consider the new "commodore". There are much better FWD cars on the market that have been at it for a lot longer. The steering feel and driving dynamic changes for the worse when the vehicle is steered and propelled by the front wheels. If your after a boring family taxi just buy a camry and give up on any driving enjoyment while reliably going from A to B.

Forg

Reaction score
Members Ride
Unless a turbo AWD version that can beat the current V8 I wouldn't even consider the new "commodore". There are much better FWD cars on the market that have been at it for a lot longer.
Opel have been doing FWD cars since the mid 80's ... and how can you know 100% it won't be as good as other FWD cars that size?
New Astra only juuust trails behind the #1, the Golf, in it's segment. Ahead of everything else.

cruelass

Reaction score
Members Ride
2007 VE SS
I cant tell yet how it compares yet, but we will know soon. And I hope they have changed as the Astra we had 01/02 or something was garbage. So many issues with it even at low k's. The build quality just doesn't compare to the Toyota etc equivalent. And I hope the parts are not at usual german car levels as they are ridiculous.

Les buckland

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vf Calais v 6lt
As far as I am concerned the Holden is dead as of 2017, no newborn to take over, RIP

Forg

Reaction score
Members Ride
I cant tell yet how it compares yet, but we will know soon. And I hope they have changed as the Astra we had 01/02 or something was garbage. So many issues with it even at low k's. The build quality just doesn't compare to the Toyota etc equivalent. And I hope the parts are not at usual german car levels as they are ridiculous.
Yeah a workmate had an '04, same model as you'd have had & it had all the same electrical problems.
However the model that replaced it (about 2006 I think?), which looked similar & which was effectively running the same basic engine (at least in the AU market) seems to have a pretty good reputation. Still quite a few of those kicking around, even though they sold a lot less of 'em than the body-shape you had (as the quality reputation had tarred them pretty badly by then, and they were also no longer the dynamic leader that your body-shape was in the segment).

mxp_

Reaction score
Members Ride
Searching ....
To me, the NG will never become a mainstream model like traditional Commodores have been. The medium/large sedan and wagon segments of our new car market have been shrinking for years and I don't think the NG will reverse the trend.

+1 for this.

The market has changed over the last 10 odd years.

Rather than 6cyl Holdens, Fords etc being the main family car, it's now SUV's.

Have a look at a local suburban shopping centre these days, not a lot of large Australian Sedans.

And then have a look at this old shot and the cars in it compared to what you'll see today

6_9.jpg