Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VF Sat Nav

3rspecB

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF2 SSv Redline, White Manual Sedan
Here is copy of my invoice from the Holden Dealer I used. I was happy to prepay to get it done at the same time as a service that I booked. The dealer needs to order by part #, not software #.

20200612_160826.jpg

Big Red VF-SII Go-kart

I love puddles.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VFII MY17 SV6 (LFX) Sportwagon (SOLD)

tommy_z

Reaction score
Members Ride
VFII Director
Tommy, Tommy, Tommy. Settle down, you'll blow a gasket. :rolleyes:

No idea what you're talking about but I ain't blowing any gasket. :rolleyes::confused:

Don’t hold your breath for any real answers...

Been down that road with HCC trying to get clear answers as to who owns the underlying map data, what process is used to package into a form MyLink will accept, who does the packaging, and how often are updates are released. Also asked what forward release plans exist, how old is the map data is when the maps update is actually released, what is the product and version number for the map update, how does the product and version number change at each release, and finally why we can’t perform the map update ourselves as is the case for Chevy SS owners. The answer as a big.... wait for it.... we don’t know and map updates are released when they are released...

The whole process of discussion with HCC script junkies was like looking at a puzzled rabbit lit up with a spotlight.... their experts were no different... They didn’t know which way to run and hide... nor their arse from their elbow... My experience was that they were as useful as tits on a bull

As is, I believe the crux of the issue is likely the poor contracts that Holden signed with their chosen map provided. Some have said GM MyLink uses Here maps... Oddly, Navetq was US owned which started in 1985, later sold to Nokia in 2007 or 2012... later still it was then bought by German auto consortium and a few others... GM was not in the consortium... That would explain a lot... likely Holden or GM are not well supported (bare minimum of what the contract allows if that)...

But why should we customers have to suffer GM/H’s poor choice of providers... it was implied we’d get map updates, heck they indicated we’d get map updates in the paper work...

Rather than GM/H revisit map provider and releasing new MyLink software, we are simply strung along and told porkies...

The real problem with all these systems is that they are closed proprietary systems so we are dependant on the arsehats that control them, the car manufacturers...

We need to complain to the authorities forcefully, loudly and persistently so that the laws can be changed. That way in future, we may not be left high and dry the next time we buy a $70k GPS (
with the vehicle thrown in for free.... Yah, it’s a throw away quip but it seems to be how it’s considered as the manufacturers solution is to buy a new vehicle... just because you have a fcukn outdated map...

Anyway, enough of the rant.... it’s been a shitty day so excuse the vent :rolleyes:

Well said.

There's a huge inconsistency with us here trying to get responses from HCC, eg. how many of a variant were produced in 2017, people would get a response of 'no idea'. It ends up as whoever is the least lazy at HCC that you're able to get. They answer the phone quickly these days but getting a helpful answer to your question is difficult. A few weeks ago I had difficulty getting them to even talk to their Roadside Assist team because they're separate and have nothing to do with HCC... got passed back and forth and on hold between the two just to check a job they did for me last year. That's not really good customer service is it?

On the subject of maps, we could even argue that the grand scheme of the VF Commodore back in 2013 being designed using 'GM Global A Architecture' was meant to make things such as map updates a breeze. Someone sitting on a computer at GM Holden can easily get maps or even Apple Carplay done up if there was the will to, but their current attitude combined with them leaving leaves no will to do anything further.
The least that could have been done was to give us owners the option to sort map updates out ourselves like Chevy SS owners can in the US. Funnily that would actually absolve Holden of responsibility they needed to bear regarding map updates because right now the only option us owners have is to bag Holden to get one.

The other thing is that we now believe 84160883 is the latest (so I must have an earlier version) except how old are these maps - there's no point in updating if we get data from 2017. If it was free, there'd be less excuse to complain but when you're actually asking people to pay for map updates, then do the right thing...

Anyway I'll see what NSW Fair Trading comes back with next week. Thanks @Skylarking for all your rant work when it came to ACL hence I feel there should be some merit to our vents on map upgrades especially with the way Holden worded it in the owner's manual. :p

Forg

Reaction score
Members Ride
Regal Peackock VF SS-V Redline Wagoon
There's a huge inconsistency with us here trying to get responses from HCC, eg. how many of a variant were produced in 2017
Surely you realise that's a dumb question? The answer in no way affects the product or your use/enjoyment of it, a question like that wastes time on frivolities.

Someone sitting on a computer at GM Holden can easily get maps or even Apple Carplay done up
Woah - what now?
CarPlay requires hardware not in the version of MyLink that VF's have ...

kleanphil

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SS-V SII Sportwagon
I wonder if you got a SS Chev mylink then flashed your vin to it then got one of our US friends to share there vin then use a vpn (US server) to go to a GM map update site that you might be able to put your own map updated like SS Chev guys can ?
EDIT: Not sure what extra hardware or info you might need to do this

tommy_z

Reaction score
Members Ride
VFII Director
Surely you realise that's a dumb question? The answer in no way affects the product or your use/enjoyment of it, a question like that wastes time on frivolities.

Uhh.. that was just an example to show they have no idea...Skylarking provided plenty of examples and I can dig through my Facebook conversation to show no idea responses for genuine questions as well (ie. Maps). Then again, customer service. :p

And as a group of enthusiasts, I don't think it's dumb. Like many of those who worked for Holden in years gone by, the passion and the enthusiasm helped drive the company.

Woah - what now?
CarPlay requires hardware not in the version of MyLink that VF's have ...

No but in this day and age, technology should allow you to do something with Global A (just a quick Google shows that it was used up to last year for many GM vehicles). But anyway, just a whinge as we won't get Carplay ever. :p

lmoengnr

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
MY12.5 Maloo R8, MY12 Redline ute, Magnum 224
I wonder if you got a SS Chev mylink then flashed your vin to it then got one of our US friends to share there vin then use a vpn (US server) to go to a GM map update site that you might be able to put your own map updated like SS Chev guys can ?
EDIT: Not sure what extra hardware or info you might need to do this

You'll probably end up with a USA map package, it's probably geo locked...

Poor old Dad

Reaction score
Members Ride
VFII Calais V
But speed limits shown are incorrect for where I am. North of Alice Springs, the speed limit is not Open/Delimited, but 130km/h.

Are you talking anywhere north of AS?

My maps aren't the latest (I think my map is 2017 - I'm pretty sure there's just one update left to do) but from at least Tennant Creek north my maps showed the 130 limit (Darwin trip last year).

edit: thought I posted a pic on forum https://forums.justcommodores.com.au/threads/flashing-gps-icon.277250/

Last edited:

kleanphil

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SS-V SII Sportwagon
You'll probably end up with a USA map package, it's probably geo locked...

Well compared to the out of date Aus maps that would be just as useful to me and probly more up to date :rolleyes:
I dont have mylink installed so i cant punch in an OS location to see . I wonder if NZ'ers can punch in a Aus location and vise versa

EDIT: With the ability to update it your self you may be able to go to the map provider

Last edited:
Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Calais V
I have been asking for a map update for the last 3 services and told nothing available Holden promised us they would support for 10 years after discontinuing the brand what are our options? complaint to fair trading? class action?