Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VS Headlight Problem

Josephine

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Ute
So I tried to get help in here but no one replied so I went ahead and attempted to remove the hid headlight kit that was installed in the car I bought and I put in some halogen bulbs. The reason I did this is everything blew slowly one by one and I found out that the lights didnt come with the car and are illegal. My stepfather bought the bulbs (ACA H4 24V 75/70W which I thought were wrong because I read somewhere they're supposed to be 12V 60/55W) and now installed they look dull and the high beam won't work well on one side, not at all on the other. Now I'm not a car buff but there is a small section in the inner parts of the headlight that says H3 high beam. If this is so, do I not use hi lows? And why aren't they connected to anything except a black box That is tied to the front end? Please help!

Voodoo_SV6

Reaction score
Members Ride
MY12.5 E3 R8 Manual+MY16 VFII SV6+MY11 VE S2 SV6
24v bulbs will not work in a car that is 12 volts. I can't tell you what is the standard bulb for your car as I don't have a VS. Suggest you pop into an auto electrician and get the car tested, if it's blowing bulbs everywhere, it's not likely the HIDs were doing it unless they were causing this unless they were causing voltage spikes

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
VS uses a H4 bulb with both the standard and high beam and also have a seperate high beam only bulb. To remove the HID light you will need to remove the HID bulb as well as the control box for it.

Josephine

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Ute
Hi. This post was a while ago so I will give you all an update. I ripped out the ballasts and took out the kit. There were two prongs from a spot light plugged in to the passenger side headlight inlet plug which was all black so Im guessing the problem came from there. I more than likely have to take it in.

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
No one replied????? I remember having a conversation with you about your lights.....;)

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
I thought vr vs run h4s not h3s. The reason it is not working on high on one side might just be an issued at the plug. If the globes are not brand new high could be blown on the globe.

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
Hi. This post was a while ago so I will give you all an update. I ripped out the ballasts and took out the kit. There were two prongs from a spot light plugged in to the passenger side headlight inlet plug which was all black so Im guessing the problem came from there. I more than likely have to take it in.

Without seeing what you have in behind your headlights in terms of wiring and globes it's really hard to know what is going on. Pics might help us some what.

Josephine

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Ute
Without seeing what you have in behind your headlights in terms of wiring and globes it's really hard to know what is going on. Pics might help us some what.
I'll get on that once I figure it out