Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VF Wagon Revival

VECalaisV8Wagon

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE CalaisV Wagon
If new ones can be had for $169, there may not be a lot of value in that ... does a plasti-dip last longer than unprotected (and can it be revived too?).
I did mine around 18 months ago & still looks new, I guess it depends on how much time you have, really need to be prepped properly with plasti-dip to get adhesion & a nice flat finish.
Can be easily peeled off to be reapplied if necessary.
IMG_20210105_170218.jpg

Magnum61

Reaction score
Members Ride
2017 Magnum
That looks great, nice work!
The original coating on those particular parts on mine have well n truly cracked & peeled. Plasti-dip there will be the go.

VECalaisV8Wagon

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE CalaisV Wagon
That looks great, nice work!
The original coating on those particular parts on mine have well n truly cracked & peeled. Plasti-dip there will be the go.
What I did with the the smaller pieces & because they were so bad was scrape the rubber off with a stanley knife down to the metal underneath, lightly sand with 2000 grit & 3-4 coats of plastic dip.
You can take the plastic end caps off it makes it easier to clean & paint.

Becky93

Reaction score
Members Ride
2003 Hsv GTO coupe
I have a 2015 HSV Clubsport wagon that has spent its whole life out doors, sadly enough. We will be moving to a new house with proper car accommodation soon. So its time to revive her a little (the car, not the wife). I've managed to maintain the paint fairly well over the years with endless amounts of polish & waxing but the plastics have faded.

Where is the best place to (1) get a parts list, & (2) source the parts, Holden maybe?

Alternatively is there a way to fully revive the faded plastic?
View attachment 217820
Holden only. They generally are not that expensive. Other option is wreckers for a set in good condition...
If it was me I would just go through Holden

Atleast you don't require a respray mate. I've got a 2003 HSV GTO COUPE that I'd love to give a freshen up (I've had it five years now and it's been mostly undriven and stored but it's faded a touch cause I've just got the bumper fixed and respected after ceva delightlysmashed and cracked the bumper. (No it wasn't on their damage sheet-yes I tried to claim but they stated (Oh but we have a photo with the broken bumper ) I tried to go through fair trade ext but they said I'd have to go to court with it. I requested the cctv of the car arriving ect but they refused. I had a mates tow truck drop it off an I'm still not sure what happen or what but it's fixed now an darker than the rest of the car. I asked for a quote for a closed door respray an was quoted 20k?. Surely that's not the going price of a closed door respray?

Forg

Reaction score
Members Ride
Regal Peackock VF SS-V Redline Wagoon
I asked for a quote for a closed door respray an was quoted 20k?. Surely that's not the going price of a closed door respray?
Yeah that sounds a bit suss, but given how busy everything to do with restoration & mods & project-cars currently is, they might be setting their prices high at the moment.
I paid $8500 nearly 15 years ago for one on a car that probably needs ~$500 less paint than a VT-shape car. That's around the ~$12500 mark in today's money.

dassaur

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Calais V V8 Wagon
I can also vouch for meguiar's trim detailer. Restored my strips on wagon beautifully.

Becky93

Reaction score
Members Ride
2003 Hsv GTO coupe
Yeah that sounds a bit suss, but given how busy everything to do with restoration & mods & project-cars currently is, they might be setting their prices high at the moment.
I paid $8500 nearly 15 years ago for one on a car that probably needs ~$500 less paint than a VT-shape car. That's around the ~$12500 mark in today's money.
This was before covid kicked in. Other places I've called quoted 9k. Seems a bit of a cash grab.. Might as well by a new car at that cost.

lmoengnr

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
MY12.5 Maloo R8, MY12 Redline ute, Magnum 224
This was before covid kicked in. Other places I've called quoted 9k. Seems a bit of a cash grab.. Might as well by a new car at that cost.

They probably didn't want the job, but for 20k they would fit you in straight away!