Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Installing HUD into non HUD vehicle.

Mavericks Choice

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF2 SSV M6, VF2 LS3 Calais V, VZ 6L M6 Crewie

chrisp

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF2 MY16 SS Redline Sportwagon

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore Motorsport Edition
Ah Skylarking I see you go along with the majority that believe that North is "up".
Some conventions must exist in a civilised world ;) otherwise communication would be more complex than need be and we’d be getting lost all the time o_O

vywgn

Reaction score
Members Ride
1967 Holden HR Premier Wagon / 2015 VFII SV6 Sedan
So decided to do this with my VF2, followed Cam-ralph's guide and is working like factory. I was fortunate enough to get my hands on another crash pad so I didn't have to cut up the original unit in the car so made the swap a little easier. I also managed to get a couple of terminals from another fuse box to make up the loom for the HUD so I didn't need to cut any wiring up, so was able to re-pin the fuse box in the dash for power and illumination of the switch

Big Red VF-SII Go-kart

I love puddles.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VFII MY17 SV6 (LFX) Sportwagon (SOLD)
The windscreen has a very thin interlaminated transparent foil on which the HUD is displayed, which is why it is visible in all lighting, including extremely bright outback light. The HUD is on all the time in my VF, while the main display on the instruments is set to economy scale.

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore Motorsport Edition
^ During a pleasant country drive, few unfortunate owners will have their windscreens damaged by a passing truck throwing a rock :oops:
Luckily the owners will have a no excess windscreen claim available to call upon ;)

Obviously they'd use a HUD windscreen making their HUD modification complete :p

PS: above is just a little sarcasm as i'm not advocating fraud. Likley it's something the insurance company would noticed when a HUD screen in used in a non HUD vehicle. Probably a mod the owners should notify their insurance company about.

Oh, the interlaminated layer is tapered around the hud area as i understand it as it supposedly helps to reduce double image in some way..

Last edited:

Sir Les

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Calais V V6 MY14
After looking at @Cam-ralph 's excellent step-by-step guide I'm so glad my Calais V came with HUD as standard... :D

panhead

Reaction score
Members Ride
Cars
For anyone interested I got the HUD installed today and all works and looks mint, took me probably about 6 hours over 2 days, mostly because I was doing it while trying to keep an eye on 3 young children. It was pretty straight forward and only ending up splicing into 2 of the wires in the dash loom. Unfortunately I didn’t take many photos of the progress, once I got to reassembling everything I completely forgot to. As for it working on the windscreen it works fine, has a little bit of double vision but nothing major.
I could do a step by step if anyone is interested or feel free to ask any questions if you need some guidance/advice on doing it yourself.

View attachment 207110 View attachment 207111 View attachment 207112 View attachment 207113 View attachment 207114 View attachment 207115 View attachment 207116 View attachment 207117

Mmmmm, looks simple enough

7abf8093-0837-44ad-b7c9-1fb9286068f7-jpeg.207113

kleanphil

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SS-V SII Sportwagon
^ During a pleasant country drive, few unfortunate owners will have their windscreens damaged by a passing truck throwing a rock :oops:
Luckily the owners will have a no excess windscreen claim available to call upon ;)

Obviously they'd use a HUD windscreen making their HUD modification complete :p

PS: just a little sarcasm as i'm not advocating fraud. Likley it's something the insurance company would noticed when a HUD screen in used in a non HUD vehicle. Probably a mod the owners should notify their insurance company about.

Oh, the interlaminated layer is tapered around the hud area as i understand it..

Last edited:

Big Red VF-SII Go-kart

I love puddles.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VFII MY17 SV6 (LFX) Sportwagon (SOLD)

The HUD requires a lot of support and feed through instruments e.g. switching (HUD UP/DOWN (position), Paging, Brightness etc.). I imagine the cost and intensive work, together with the attendant risk of something not going quite right to plan, would be prohibitive against simply going out and buying a car with HUD as a standard feature! It is also self-defeating if you do not have the requisite windscreen to properly support the HUD -- it will likely be indistinct/fuzzed in its display.

Windscreens are no drama. Your insurer will know about the windscreen specifics, and the HUD's part in the bigger picture -- believe me, they know the models inside and out. I would not bother with the cost and effort of putting in a HUD in a vehicle that does not have the infrastructure in place; I reckon the insurer would most likely take a dim view of the idea too.

Windscreens are replaced same-for-same, not substituted. If the car has a HUD then the windscreen must be of the type that supports that. I certainly have full windscreen cover on my policy and have had that for years and years; without it, a replacement windscreen, for any car, can be a bugger-all unwanted expense when travelling (my last break was in November 2005; since then I've been around Australia 3 times (in my previous VZ) without mishap, save for the usual stone chips.

Last edited: