Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

14 month old Redline or SV6 thats been sitting around

tml678

Reaction score
Members Ride
2017 HSV30 Senator, 2002 Corolla..
Getting a V8 shoe-horned sideways into it would’ve been ... problematic. :)

But a hoot to drive no doubt...

Banjo79

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SS Sportwagon
The vehicle in question is listed as dealer used, with 20kms on it. So who would expect the 9 month oil change would be done 5 months ago? If the fuel is 14 months old, obviously I want it out or diluted with plenty of fresh, but is taking it for a thorough test drive with stale fuel of any concern?
Finally, is a dry start first in say 5 months any worse than first in 5 days in the grand scheme of the life of the car?
Wish I had the cash this time last year and bought straight off the line. Didn't, now I do, but dont want a car that has suffered from sitting.
I have to travel to see this car and briefly spoke to a salesman to confirm its still there. It will be a surprise visit so I can bury my head in the engine bay for its first fire up.

tml678

Reaction score
Members Ride
2017 HSV30 Senator, 2002 Corolla..
Agreed, cornering is another issue all together..could you imagine the understeer...

In saying that, Cadillac in particular have done a few full-size FWD V8 behemoths over the years..I just don't need to be piloting something like that...

3rspecB

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF2 SSv Redline, White Manual Sedan
great front brakes (supposedly it was these brembos that were ported to MSE

Not the entire brake package, only the cross drilled front rotors.
The LE Calipers and pads are same spec as Redline, just a different colour.

VS 5.0

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV Z Series M6
Agreed, cornering is another issue all together..could you imagine the understeer...

In saying that, Cadillac in particular have done a few full-size FWD V8 behemoths over the years..I just don't need to be piloting something like that...

I don't reckon there would be too much piloting at any decent speed going around corners....more like passengering.

TTubrag

Reaction score
Members Ride
2016 VFII SSV Redline
The vehicle in question is listed as dealer used, with 20kms on it. So who would expect the 9 month oil change would be done 5 months ago? If the fuel is 14 months old, obviously I want it out or diluted with plenty of fresh, but is taking it for a thorough test drive with stale fuel of any concern?
Finally, is a dry start first in say 5 months any worse than first in 5 days in the grand scheme of the life of the car?
Wish I had the cash this time last year and bought straight off the line. Didn't, now I do, but dont want a car that has suffered from sitting.
I have to travel to see this car and briefly spoke to a salesman to confirm its still there. It will be a surprise visit so I can bury my head in the engine bay for its first fire up.

No, no and no. Someone's going to do it. May as well be you. :)

blackve76

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SS ute 360rwkw N/A, 2016 VF2 SS M6
Most dealers move cars around and a 18 yr old with a old dirt ridden Spong washed it while he depleted the battery listening to some crap music.

Re fuel they have bigger all from factory so a full fresh tank asap will be fine

Anthony121

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SSV Redline MY17 & VF Director
Yep, as much as it grates a bit, I took the Senator in for its 9mth/15000km service today.....with 5100 on the clock...:confused:

I just keep telling myself that the oil was probably getting old after that time frame....maybe I might sound convincing eventually lol...

I took my Director with 1,000 km on the clock for the 9 month service at nearly 12 months old. I would of thought the oil was still clear coming out the sump.

chrisp

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF2 MY16 SS Redline Sportwagon
I just cant shake the compulsion to snap up a Redline or an SV6 wagon before they're gone. They both have next to no km's on them. Worst case scenario though is they'd have the same 14 month old fuel and have not been started in that time. Whats the risks? If I did the deal or even before the test drive, would it be asking too much to drain the fuel and replace it? I guess the handbook service oil change would have been done already. How bad really is one really dry start once in its life? Thoughts appreciated.

All dealer stock on VFs are going to be old. If you particularly want one, you have little choice over the age of the car.

I’d suggest that you negotiate a deal that includes an extended warranty to cover your concerns about the age of the car/s. You could also ask the dealer to explicitly cover any premature ‘service item’ failures that happen in a set period of time. For example, ask them to explicitly state in the contract that they’ll replace the battery if it should fail within 3 years.