Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

1st day owning Ve and towtrucked home

Simso1

Reaction score
Members Ride
Ve omega ute
I soaked and scraped, soaked and scraped over an 8hr period today, managed to get one valve cover fairly clean, just started the other one before i went home

so much dry carbon
IMG_5673.jpeg
IMG_5675.jpeg

Simso1

Reaction score
Members Ride
Ve omega ute
This is the dirty one in the other photo getting first scrape after soaking for an hr in a degreaser bath
IMG_5671.jpeg

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
I have PM'd you. I need an email to send you the V6 engine manual.

Lex

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Executive S1 V6 6 speed Auto Wagon

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore Motorsport Edition
the timing chain tensioners can only have the pin pulled on them once, if you make a mistake you need to replace them again.
I’ve heard they the chain tensioners can be reset so it shouldn’t be a disaster if you prematurely release your load :rolleyes::p

Mind you I haven’t played with chain tensioners so use the below info at your own discretion and at your own risk :p

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
I soaked and scraped, soaked and scraped over an 8hr period today, managed to get one valve cover fairly clean, just started the other one before i went home

so much dry carbon…
IIRC, the pvc system is integrated into one of the the rocker cover and I’ve heard that cleaning it properly can be a real pita.

So just keep in mind that the pvc system needs to be clean or the same gumming up will occur again as the pvc system won’t work unless it’s clean under the plate :rolleyes:

Good luck with it all.

chrisp

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF2 MY16 SS Redline Sportwagon
I’ve heard they the chain tensioners can be reset so it shouldn’t be a disaster if you prematurely release your load :rolleyes::p

Does it involve poking something stiff in to a hole? Just asking for a (old school) friend. :cool:

Last edited:

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
Does it involve poking something stiff in to a hole? Just asking for a (old school) friend. :cool:
haha, the pun was intended :p

Simso1

Reaction score
Members Ride
Ve omega ute
So follow up for anyone that was curious. The chains were ridiculously loose, son (mechanic) recommended not to turn it over in any way in case it jumped a tooth, thats how loose they were.

ordered new chains, waterpump, oil pump, tensioners etc, we fitted them all up, well he did... and she struggles to start and run, did a compression test, so depressing 1 50psi, 2 0 psi, 3 90 psi, 4 0 psi, 5 85 psi, 6 0 psi.. so the whole left bank has clearly skipped a tooth or two on the chain and at a guess smashed the valves, right bank of cylinders was pretty poor to crap anyways as well

replacement motor just arrived from sydney to here in perth as nothing local was available.

OldBomb

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Berlina
part that sucks is you wasted all that time cleaning those rocker covers.