Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Check engine light right after service

VF300k

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Evoke
Put my 2014 VF in for a service, Holden service centre ( I know this was my first mistake ) had a special “Essential Service” deal.

Comes back all good, brakes and tyres need to be done soon, Nothing else mentioned when picking it up.

Get in the car, Turn it over and a check engine light pops up on the dash, First time since I’ve had it and I’ve been driving ALOT since I got it 2-3 months ago.

Turned it off and walked straight back in, told them it’s got a check engine light on the dash, they umm and ahhh about it and take it back round to the shop.

Comes back 15 minutes later starts explains it’s now showing P0171 and P0174 codes, they’ve cleared them and checked the purge solenoid, run it for a little bit and it’s not come back.

I’ve gone for a decent 45 minute drive tonight and it’s not come back yet.

Any ideas as to why this popped up right after a service and why they didn’t notice it when doing their “30 point inspection”

If anything, won’t be going back to Holden for any work (quoted me $800 for the front brake pads and rotors)

dassaur

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Calais V V8 Wagon
It's not the purge solenoid, it's the fact that both banks are lean.
That kind of CEL would not turn on instantly, it must have been on when they were driving it IMHO.
Probably knocked off a breather hose or something like that

It a strange one cause those codes usually only show up over time.

krusing

Well-Known Member, Possibly for the wrong reasons
Reaction score
Members Ride
2002 VY L67 Calais Sedan, 2012 VE L77 Calais Wagon
Firstly,
As mentioned above, possibly had a Vac/Purge hose not connected,

As for the Brakes, dont bend over to pick up your keys !
Rotors and Pads approx. $200 > $300 to do yourself,
VERY easy job to do yourself, and save ship load of $'s

Last edited:

VF300k

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Evoke
Well it’s back, Went to leave for work today and boom, check engine light is back, exactly 1 week since the service and they cleared it.

Going to drop past a small mechanic this morning and get them to take a look at it, don’t really trust the Holden service centre to do more then just clear it and hope for the best.

Moral of the story, avoid Holden “Certified” Service centres like the plague

Forg

Reaction score
Members Ride
Regal Peackock VF SS-V Redline Wagoon
This probably isn’t going to help, the chance of this being the cause is close to zero (but it’s easy to check) … but the engine oil-filler cap is screwed-down properly isn’t it? They didn’t leave it just sitting there?

VF300k

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Evoke
This probably isn’t going to help, the chance of this being the cause is close to zero (but it’s easy to check) … but the engine oil-filler cap is screwed-down properly isn’t it? They didn’t leave it just sitting there?
Nope she’s on tight, just got back from the little mechanics, he’s cleared the code again and checked over all the pipes, couldn’t spot anything that stood out, no vacuum leak etc got it booked in for later this week to do some proper diagnosis, weird this was it was only the one code this time P0171

VF300k

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Evoke
ITS SOLVED, maybe…

Recently had the light come back on, finally decided screw this I’m taking a look while waiting to get in for a look over.

https://forums.justcommodores.com.au/threads/p0171-and-p0174-lean-codes.270583/page-3

found this one with the same codes, Took off my purge solenoid and blew through it, was like blowing through a straw.

See that heaps of other people with similar codes fixed their issue by replacing the part, given I’ve already taken it off once going to grab a new one and replace it this week!

Thinking of grabbing an OBD reader and checking the fuel trims before and after just to make sure, and to clear out the code, and suggestions on a good sub $150 scan tool for the VF that lets me read trims?

dassaur

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Calais V V8 Wagon
Any elm327 Bluetooth adapter will work even the clones. Best app for Android is torque.

I've never used it but I've heard dash command works well enough for iphone