Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Fu Manchu

We’ll get together. Have a few laughs.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Crewman, VZ Cross 8, & ya mum.
Fu Manchu, Quick update, I have finished the required 6L80 to STD transfer case adapter and hope to get the new transfer case input shafts next week, close now.
There’s two adaptors there. They look slightly different. Is that just the camera angle?

CWG

Reaction score
Members Ride
2017 GTSR
Must be just the camera angle, they are both identical. Trial fitted both this afternoon.

CWG

Reaction score
Members Ride
2017 GTSR
This is the required transfer case adapter shaft, it will simply replace the current input shaft. It gets rid off the need for an intermediate shaft between the 6L80 and the transfer case. It still needs some machining and case hardening but is close now.
Trasnscase Adapter Shaft-001.jpg

Fu Manchu

We’ll get together. Have a few laughs.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Crewman, VZ Cross 8, & ya mum.
Was just thinking of this yesterday. I’m glad it’s still coming along.

CWG

Reaction score
Members Ride
2017 GTSR
Yes still coming along, Christmas got in the road and it takes awhile to wind back up. Once I get this shaft back, hopefully next week although it is a short week as well, I will have everything I need to mechanically install the 6L80 into the test Adventra. Then it will be just the electronics and Dylan is well advanced on that front, although I have been having thoughts that I might just drop an LS3 motor in at the same time. ;)

Reactions: Lex

CWG

Reaction score
Members Ride
2017 GTSR
Its been awhile but, I now have pricing on the 6L80E/6L50E retrofit kits, as those that have seen my post will know, I started this project with a very specific goal, to put a 6L80 into my rally crewman, the idea off a low first and a couple off highway gears was very appealing. The project has taken on quite a life off its own with a few twists and turns, not uncommon with R&D projects. With quite a few people showing interest, I have made the decision to commercialize a kit through my company.

The mechanical part off the 6L80E kit, for fitment into Cross 8 Crewman and V8 Adventra will consist of three parts, the aluminum adapter housing, with provision to install the existing speed pick up, an input shaft for the transfer case, this will replace the existing shaft, and finally I will supply a reluctor wheel off the same size as the std one. This reluctor wheel simply slides onto the transfer case input shaft and is locked into place with grub screws. Note it is not my intention to supply any bearings, seals or gaskets or an instillation service.

My plan is to have the V8 kit fitted to an Adventra, by the end of March, if all goes well and my shaft comes back from heat treating. I would expect to be in a position to take orders by the middle to end of June, this is the soonest the first production run off components will be available, once testing has been completed.

The kit to fit a 6L50E behind a V6 is just an idea at this point in time, I have purchased a complete, secondhand drive train, engine to transfer case and will eventually buy a 6L50, this will allow me to design up the required extension housing and shaft adapter between the 6L50 and the transfer case. I expect, as the components to be similar in size and complexity, the budget kit price will be the same. As this is now a commercial decision, I will not proceed with this kit until I get a feel for what size the market would be.

As for the electrical control, you will all be aware that I have been working with a young guy in Melbourne, there are plenty of post about what he is trying to achieve. When I started this journey, I quickly realized that the control of the 6L transmission was going to be a challenge, when I came across this young guy who was working on his own R&D project. He had vision, drive, and is prepared to give it a go, which as the owner off a manufacturing business in Australia appealed to me, we need more young Australians like this. So, I reached out and started working with him and will still assist him with the mechanical parts he requires. However as already stated, R&D, projects rarely go to plan, I believe that he will crack his controller, given time, but I have a deadline, a 10-day midyear rally, for which I would like to have the transmission fitted and tested, so the clock is ticking. Thanks to Fu Manchu I managed to find a solution to the control group, it is not sold in Australia, but I will bring them in as required. As a side note, you would not need an additional controller if you purchased an engine came fitted with a 6L transmission.

Finally, if you would like pricing or more information on the control, or would just like further information on the kit, please PM me with your email address and I will respond. My intention is to keep a list off interested parties and get in touch once I have the kit ready for sale, which as stated should be around mid to end of June. Once I have the kits selling I and have stock off them I will list up on the relevant buy/swap and sell pages.

Regards Clive Gray.

CWG

Reaction score
Members Ride
2017 GTSR
So after a few months, finally got around to actually fitting the 6L80E into the Adventra. I am still waiting on the input shaft for the transfer case, but the transmission physically fits without any modifications required to the vehicle, pretty happy about that.

Attachments

• 4ce8fe9f-ee7a-4274-9e62-e232e3c44bd6.jpg
    4ce8fe9f-ee7a-4274-9e62-e232e3c44bd6.jpg
    231.4 KB · Views: 160
  • bcf1d664-7a8d-461e-8e7b-714386ce96db.jpg
    bcf1d664-7a8d-461e-8e7b-714386ce96db.jpg
    250.1 KB · Views: 147
  • ebd4ff96-8ec4-4b77-8b9b-56fbb1b230a6.jpg
    ebd4ff96-8ec4-4b77-8b9b-56fbb1b230a6.jpg
    184.7 KB · Views: 140
  • f4e1da2e-6e88-4270-a164-514bce753403.jpg
    f4e1da2e-6e88-4270-a164-514bce753403.jpg
    229.7 KB · Views: 150

Lex

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Executive S1 V6 6 speed Auto Wagon
So after a few months, finally got around to actually fitting the 6L80E into the Adventra. I am still waiting on the input shaft for the transfer case, but the transmission physically fits without any modifications required to the vehicle, pretty happy about that.
When you get it all together, is it permanent 4 wheel drive, or can you have either. 2 wheel or 4 wheel drive?
I'm been thinking of doing this mod (making a 4 wheel drive out of my old girl) for a few years. Maybe?
I have a 6l50 behind a ecotec.