Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

8 days without any postings....and weeks without seeing a ZB on the road

Badgerdog

Reaction score
Members Ride
ZB Calais V
I think tuckerbag finds it impossible to say anything positive about post VF Holden.
Yes it appears there is quite some residual disappointment, frustration and anger from a number of forum members still upset about stopping Australian manufacturing. I understand this and was quite bitter about FPV and later Ford stopping operations in Australia but the reality is they're in a commercial business and people en-masse have shifted towards buying SUV's.
Companies are perfectly entitled to modify parts of their business plan that aren't working anymore and people will either stay bitter or get better and build a bridge and get over it. Those who can open their minds will find a very good car at a very competitive price.
I am not a former Holden employee.

kos

Reaction score
Members Ride
ZB Lt
On another issue.
ZB 4 cyl uses 95 or 98?
ZB 6 cyl uses 91.

As there is a 8-12 cent gap (in Qld)between 91 and 95 which motor is cheaper on fuel.
Results indicate the 4 is only a little more economical than the 6.
Anyone done the maths?

Fu Manchu

We’ll get together. Have a few laughs.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Crewman, VZ Cross 8, & ya mum.
Hello fellow car lovers. What a lovely day it is. Say, that Barra engine sure is a beauty. Also how about that ZB? * Slaps roof * You can fit so many happy consumers... I mean automotive enthusiasts in this.

Have you seen the great deals available on these? That free service sure is an enticing offer and that is why I bought one of these popular cars.

I’ll see myself out.

Attachments

• F4D241CA-C039-4CE4-9010-1F735A46EC42.jpeg
    F4D241CA-C039-4CE4-9010-1F735A46EC42.jpeg
    42.2 KB · Views: 143

Badgerdog

Reaction score
Members Ride
ZB Calais V
On another issue.
ZB 4 cyl uses 95 or 98?
ZB 6 cyl uses 91.

As there is a 8-12 cent gap (in Qld)between 91 and 95 which motor is cheaper on fuel.
Results indicate the 4 is only a little more economical than the 6.
Anyone done the maths?

95 Octane.
I had a loan LT for 6 weeks. It averaged 9.0L / 100 km's 85 % city running with heaps of short trips.
My current ride uses 11.0 L/100 km's burning 91 Octane doing the same sort of running.
Weirdly, my fill to fill tests on the LT showed the car's fuel computer was overstating actual fuel used by a margin of about 10%.
Haven't tried out whether my current ride's fuel use computer is inaccurate to the same extent yet.
95 Octane is about 13 cents per liter more around where I live so the circa 20% cheaper fuel use is about 14% cheaper after accounting for the different price of fuel. This will vary for people depending upon the fuel price premium around where they live.

StrayKiwi

Reaction score
Members Ride
MY18 ZB VXR
See this from Overview in that link
Enlarged bore centers of 103 mm (compared to 106 mm on the LFX-

How is 103mm a larger bore centre than 106mm? I assume they got the measurements reversed?

I'm not sure where those measurements come from or more importantly, precisely what they are measuring. The same site claims that the displacements of the LFX and LGX are the same yet although they share the same stroke they have different bore sizes, which would make having the same displacement impossible. I think there are a lot of inconsistent information being presented on that site.

I did the standard engine displacement calculation based on their figures and although I could calculate the displacement of the LFX to approximately the figure they quoted, 3546cc, the same math says that the LGX displacement is 3641cc. Holden's brochure quotes the ZB's LGX V6 as having a 3649cc displacement.

My math for the LGX displacement calculation

pi/4 x bore (95mm) squared x stroke (85.6mm) x cylinders (6) =
0.7854 x 0.9025 x 0.856 x 6 = 3.6405L

My math could be wrong or Holden could be sneaking in an extra 8cc from somewhere. :D

Calaber

Nil Bastardo Carborundum
Reaction score
Members Ride
CG Captiva 5 Series 2
Recently I've started receiving online updates from a GM related site giving the developments planned for the company and the most profitable lines. No surprise, they are turning their fortunes around by cutting costs (closing plants), cutting models, particularly sedans and marketing more expensive trucks. Cadillac looks to be the only brand that will continue building sedans, but the emphasise will be on electric powered models under development now.
When you read their production plans, there is a massive emphasis on Chinese manufacture of GM models and GM selling Chinese vehicles in some markets as GM cars (sound familiar?) The one thing that's obvious to me is that RHD markets are of little interest to GM, as there are very few open RHD markets these days world wide. The largest, Britain, was abandoned with the sale of Vauxhall/Opel and the other large RHD country, Japan, is virtually closed to large scale imports. So how would you honestly expect, or believe, that GM really has any long range intention of selling cars here?
The doomsday merchants who claim Holden could have remained viable as a local builder disregard a few important facts. 1. Large sedans are unwanted worldwide. 2. GM's obvious determination to take advantage of much lower wages and production costs, and larger market share offered by China. 3. The comparative lack of success of the VF2 as a Chev simply reinforces the increasing demand for trucks in the States and the declining demand for cars like the VF in that market. 4. The fact that the last VF left the production line over 13 years after the first VE. The model had reached the end of its marketable life. This is borne out by the existence of unsold VF2's 18 months after production ceased.

VS 5.0

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV Z Series M6
3. The comparative lack of success of the VF2 as a Chev simply reinforces the increasing demand for trucks in the States and the declining demand for cars like the VF in that market.

Contributed to by GM providing little to no marketing support. (Sound familiar ?)

This is borne out by the existence of unsold VF2's 18 months after production ceased.

Coz dealers put their greedy capitalist pig hats on and are now paying the price.

Calaber

Nil Bastardo Carborundum
Reaction score
Members Ride
CG Captiva 5 Series 2
Contributed to by GM providing little to no marketing support. (Sound familiar?)

Coz dealers put their greedy capitalist pig hats on and are now paying the price.

I know the marketing in the US was poor, who knows why? So far as the unsold cars here, I don't think it's just the dealers. Is there really ANY interest in an obsolete model anymore?

VS 5.0

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV Z Series M6
Is there really ANY interest in an obsolete model anymore?

Probably not by now although if they were more realistically priced there may well be.

lmoengnr

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
MY12.5 Maloo R8, MY12 Redline ute, Magnum 224
I know the marketing in the US was poor, who knows why?

UAW probably had something to do with that, like no wagons, no utes...