Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

balance shaft bearing

Torniquet

Reaction score
Hey dudes..just wondering how many of u have replace a balance shaft bearing on a VN S1 V6?..are they common?..is there alot involved..

the bearing in mine has always been noisey...its getting worse tho..just wondering if anyone else has done one before and whats involved

jas98

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs commodore V6 S2 and a BA XR6T
i was told that u can replace the front bearing while the engin is still in the car as im thinking of doing the front one when i change me timeing chain...but the rear one is a roller bearing and the engin needs to come out

jamie6666699

Reaction score
you can change the rear bearing with the engine in the car. u have to pull the transmission out to do it

PREDATR

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS 355 Turbo, VN Calais 5L, VE SII SV6 Wag, Mirage
Just rip the balance shaft out. its not needed. just adds weight (3ish Kgs) and pull on the engine

jas98

Reaction score
Members Ride
yes u could pull the balance shaft out BUT given that most vn/vp's are near the 300 000 mark and more id say it would be a bad move unless everything is balance right...not saying its going to blow up just saying that i wouldnt do it...mine makes a hell of a lot of noise (337 000k's) but yeh it still drives like new ;) its still got 170 psi in each cyinlender and it uses bugger all fuel for a vn (150 k's out of 15/16 L's around town....lead foot aswell lol) BUT i am changeing timing chain as i think thats most of the noise its got..

lilredwagon

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR Berlina wagon
timing chain noise

In my limited experience, most of the noise has been from worn out timing chain tensioners (three S1 motors with well over 250 thousand Km each).
All of the timing chains were well within wear limits (barely half of the allowable slack evident in all cases).
Just fitted a complete series two tensioner (much better design) and almost as quiet as new...
It seems that you get a lot of balance shaft noise when its not driven smoothly by a poorly tensioned timing chain.

jas98

Reaction score
Members Ride
In my limited experience, most of the noise has been from worn out timing chain tensioners (three S1 motors with well over 250 thousand Km each).
All of the timing chains were well within wear limits (barely half of the allowable slack evident in all cases).
Just fitted a complete series two tensioner (much better design) and almost as quiet as new...
It seems that you get a lot of balance shaft noise when its not driven smoothly by a poorly tensioned timing chain.

yeh id say its just me tensioner (series one) .....the replacement one is series two ...much better desighn (as u mentioned) but seeing i have the timeing cover off im also changeing the chain and sprockets just to be certain.....(only cost $125 for all parts.....tensioner, chain ,gasket and sprockets) so i cant complain about that i guess.....car has travelled its k's and still going stong (except the massive oil leak from sump )

they reken the originall (genuine) chain wears but the sprockts last for ever

Bz Kn33z

Reaction score
Members Ride
Black VN V6 Turbo
My Tensioner fell into the sump lolput a new 1 on and rollmaster timing chain, it said that it gives more rpm and power or sumfin couldnt tell the difference but even if the chain isnt worn or anything is it still a good idea to change it anyway? any performance what so ever?