Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Boot release wont work on ve ss-v sportwagon

slo89

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Omega wagon
Found this thread and fixed mine tnite too '08 wagon, same part used $4.95 from Jaycar. Was working on and off for a long time and left me stuck not able to open it a few times so looking forward to it just working now, what a luxury! Thanks for posting!

Steff1967

Reaction score
Members Ride
Ve calais redline wagon
There is an issue with the early Sportswagons prior to about mid 2010 (i think) and water gets into the switch. Over time it will corrode and fail. Later models were upraded, but I'm not sure if Holden will still honour it on a 2009. Worth a try or bite the bullet and put the updated seal in.
Mate the
View attachment 194444 View attachment 194451 View attachment 194452 View attachment 194453 View attachment 194454 Have had the same problem with my 2010 VE Sports wagon. After a waterblasting to clean it the boot wouldn't open. I ended up pulling apart the boot and removing the chrome strip that houses the number plate lights and the touch pad. Called some wreckers and they wanted $200 for a second hand part or holden wanted $599. I though I will dry the moisture out and see how that works. Managed to dry it out and put it all back together and it worked till it rained and moisture got back inside the pad. Me being me didn't want to pay the silly prices they were asking for a second hand part so read these forums and took a trip to JayCar told the guy what I was looking for and he gave me the correct part . I pulled the boot apart again being careful as the chrome trim that houses the threads can break real easy. Once apart i removed the old touch pad completely from it's housing removed the rubber boot removed all the workings of the old touch pad and drilled a hole in the middle to suit the new switch button I had purchased. Cut a hold in the rubber touch pad and mounted the new switch button. Soldered the 2 wires from either side of the touch pad onto either side of the switch button and problem solved. Reassembled the whole lot and have a perfectly working boot again for the price of $5.90 and about 45mins work, compared to the $200 for a second hand part or $599 for a new part and there is no risk of it ever happening again as the switch button is IP67 Rated so waterproof..

The switch button I brought from Jay Car is as follows if anyone else wants to do this cheap and easy mod.

Code:SP0656
Switch Push Mom IP67 Blk SPST

Sorry about the photos but it gives you some idea. It's discrete,does not show when fitted and functions as the touch pad would unlocks when car is unlocked and locked when the car is locked.

Hope this helps someone that's having the same problem.
Thanks for this post did this today and works fine doesnt affect any function ie rear cam or anything five dollars is better than 600

Calaiswag

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE calais
Anyone in Melbourne that are willing to fix this for me with the Jaycar method?
I'm willing to pay $150. Would rather give it to someone on here than get ripped by three dealers. Let me know.

Last edited by a moderator:

krusing

Well-Known Member, Possibly for the wrong reasons
Reaction score
Members Ride
2002 VY L67 Calais Sedan, 2012 VE L77 Calais Wagon

Calaiswag

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE calais
For the interest of the JC Members that are in Melbourne, or surrounding area's,
I did the the Modification of the -

https://www.jaycar.com.au/ip67-rate...ec03ad5ad0c2a013c2a6468791c685&sort=relevance

button today for @Calaiswag today and worked perfectly.
So if you have the same fault/issue and not willing to attempt it yourself, as it is a bit fiddly,
PM me and I will gladly do it for you.

Thanks so much for the awesome job mate!! Even glued broken clip.
Thorough and professional all the while being an awesome top bloke!
Thanks again mate.

krusing

Reaction score
Members Ride
Thanks so much for the awesome job mate!! Even glued broken clip.
Thorough and professional all the while being an awesome top bloke!
Thanks again mate.

Thank you,
Your Most Welcome,
cheers.

Evil Mad Dog

Reaction score
Members Ride
2015 VF2 SSV Ute
PLZ NOTE - YOU CAN DO ALL OF THE FOLLOWING WITHOUT REMOVING THE T/GATE TRIM OR THE CHROME STRIP
LIFT THE TAILGATE, GENTLY PRY OFF THE RUBBER COVER THEN AGAIN GENTLY PRY OUT THE TOUCH / SWITCH...
IT JUST CLIPS OUT.. IT WILL NOW HANG BY TWO THIN WIRES.. i WANTED TO ASCERTAIN IF IT WAS THE TOUCHPAD
OR THE `ACTUATOR` LOCKING MECHANISM DOWN ON THE FLOOR AT FAULT BEFORE I BOUGHT ANY PARTS SO I STARTED
TO STRIP AWAY THE WIRE INSULATION WITH THE INTENTION OF BRIDGING THE TWO WIRES MOMENTARILY TO SEE IF THE
LOCK ACTIVATED.

Thankyou. Made the whole thing very easy.

I removed the rubber cover. Ended up splitting it, not sure if that was me but it was so fragile.

Pressed gently on the clips that hold the switch in and left it hanging.

Clipped the wires as long as possible.

I then touched them together and managed to open the tailgate. Hoorah.

Removed all metal strips from switch.

Drilled a hole in the plastic.

Installed jaycar switch.

Stripped a very small part of wire insulation off and tinned the wires.

Soldered to switch. Just enough length.

Done and works a treat.

krusing

Reaction score
Members Ride
I thought the touch switch body was held in with 2 x 10mm nuts,
In saying that, if the chrome trim is not removed, it may damage the chrome trim body.

But my opinion is to remove the chrome trim completely, and install the replacement button, that’s what I have done in the past for to one’s I have done.

Evil Mad Dog

Reaction score
Members Ride
2015 VF2 SSV Ute
I thought the touch switch body was held in with 2 x 10mm nuts,

Yes the whole replacement is likely bolted in. I can't confirm as I didn't remove it completely.

If your not replacing it with another, you can do as above. The switch parts can be separated fairly easily so nothing unnecessarily needs to be removed, ie the actual pressure switch and not the switch housing/body.