Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Buying used sv6

connor93

Reaction score
Members Ride
2016 VF SV6
If it has a full service history, runs and drives smoothly, has no codes and doesn't have any dodgy repairs, good paintwork etc... Then it's probably a good buy... After you check these things and if you're still interested, get a third party pre purchase inspection and make sure no finance is owing, it isn't a repairable write-off, kilometres are genuine, etc by doing a $2 PPSR check, especially if you're buying privately...

If the seller doesn't let you take it for a test drive and/or pre purchase inspection, WALK AWAY as these are red flags... Do you have any pictures of the car or the advertisement?
It drives fine, hasn't had any codes up or anything and I've done a PPSR check already and it came back fine.
Here's a screenshot of the ad

Attachments

• Screenshot_2023-01-11-13-15-54-66_40deb401b9ffe8e1df2f1cc5ba480b12.jpg
    Screenshot_2023-01-11-13-15-54-66_40deb401b9ffe8e1df2f1cc5ba480b12.jpg
    91 KB · Views: 97

Commo64

Reaction score
Members Ride
2010 VE Omega
Varies, I should have taken a photo but I think it's like 10k, 29k, 45k 68k and 80k
Roughly around that anyway
I'd walk away if I were you as there's pretty big gaps between some of those intervals which could cause problems in the future...

Also, I noticed in one of the photos, the SV6 badge was in the wrong spot and their was no "Series 2" badge, which could mean that this was previously repaired poorly...

Link:
https://automundo.com.au/vehicles/holden-commodore-vf-ii-my16-sv6-black/

Don't be like that other guy who recently bought a VF which was poorly maintained and had dodgy repairs despite us telling them not to lol

connor93

Reaction score
Members Ride
2016 VF SV6
I'd walk away if I were you as there's pretty big gaps between some of those intervals which could cause problems in the future...

Also, I noticed in one of the photos, the SV6 badge was in the wrong spot and their was no "Series 2" badge, which could mean that this was previously repaired poorly...

Link:
https://automundo.com.au/vehicles/holden-commodore-vf-ii-my16-sv6-black/

Don't be like that other guy who recently bought a VF which was poorly maintained and had dodgy repairs despite us telling them not to lol
I wouldn't have even picked up on the badges. The service intervals were a bit of a concern but also the other 3 commodore's I've looked at so far have had similar service intervals. I'm not super familiar with the car though which is why I came here for advice it's also the first time I'm upgrading to a good quality car and I don't want to risk wasting my money on something

stooge

Reaction score
Members Ride
Turbo Alpaca
Varies, I should have taken a photo but I think it's like 10k, 29k, 45k 68k and 80k
Roughly around that anyway

the reason the service history is important is because the engine in it is prone to "sludging" if the oil is not changed properly.
you can google what it means but the basics are that it is not good for the engine.

there is no real "exact time" it would start like you cant just say oh at 15,000 instead of 10,000 and your engine is a mud brick, it depends on the contamination level and various other factors but one way to prevent it is to make sure the oil is changed before or on the specified intervals.

the vehicle you are looking at could be perfectly fine but just keep in mind that service history is important in these vehicles when shopping for them.

Commo64

Reaction score
Members Ride
2010 VE Omega
I wouldn't have even picked up on the badges. The service intervals were a bit of a concern but also the other 3 commodore's I've looked at so far have had similar service intervals.
Always make sure you're looking at the little details, as you could pick up little things that just don't seem right... Don't be afraid to look at many different examples, because you'll eventually find a great car...

Another thing to add, these VF's still suffer from the same timing chain issues as all Alloytecs do, though they don't fail as often but still be a little bit wary, especially poorly maintained examples...

This one that you're looking at is a little worn out and I think there's better VF's out there for a similar amount...

wetwork65

A wet business
Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SSV Wagon & VF SV6 Wagon
Ex-rental?
Avis finally moved their examples on around my way.

Commo64

Reaction score
Members Ride
2010 VE Omega
Ex-rental?
Avis finally moved their examples on around my way.
There's probably still a few that are rentals... I still see VF cop cars every now and then, though they're very rare now days...