Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Cabin Filter VE

kiwitrains

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SV6 Storm Sedan Auto
New to Holden and Commodores I know where the cabin filter goes but was wondering if and how the mesh filter comes out or can you leave it in?

mark7

Reaction score
Members Ride
06 VE V8 Calais V/ 08 VE Omega
I took the mesh out and threw it. No idea if I was meant to keep it or not.

I removed the mesh by pulling one of the corners away (maybe with long nose pliers, can't remember) then dragged it up and out since there was crap sitting on it still.

Dayvo

Because i can
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SV6 Series 2
You need to remove the mesh to fit the filter

Sabbath'

Redblock Jesus
Reaction score
Members Ride
80 Series// VFII Black Edition
Mesh comes out, and can be thrown away.

mantaray56

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE II SV6 Z
It just needs the edges of plastic deburred, much easier on the forearms after that. Could Holden have made it any harder....

aunto

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore SV6 2007
lol Holden made it hard in terms of everything, from cabin filter to thermostat... weird and awkward places to place these things

Muke

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SV6 MY08
lol Holden made it hard in terms of everything, from cabin filter to thermostat... weird and awkward places to place these things

Oath. Designers/engineers should be made to use what they design. A few bloody awful things done on the VE. Properly cleaning all those honeycomb parts (especially on the diffuser) is another pet peeve of mine. A few bits on the engine (LY7 at least) are frustratingly close to being really easy too (valve covers, top radiator hose fitting etc). But thermostat is top of the list.

Joelene

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Commodore
I assume you are talking pollen filter?
Anyway an incredibly overpriced piece of junk in my view. Do they charge something like $45???

I think my SS V came standard with it but it got discarded on a service and I never replaced it. I don't think it is standard on other models. Maybe the Calais.

I have never noticed any issue without it.

As a point it took a while like about 5 years for me to realise that you can turn the pollution control on and off on the SS V.

Hold the recycle button down for more than 5 seconds and this toggles the pollution control mode.

It used to peeve me that each time i got behind a blown engine that I could never fully shut off the fresh air because it was designed to always let a bit of air in on recycle.

But turning pollution mode ON stops fresh air (or rotten smelly air) from entering your car.

It was clearly in the manual but never quite got to reading all of it....

Sabbath'

Redblock Jesus
Reaction score
Members Ride
80 Series// VFII Black Edition

Pollen filter on the VE is one of the easiest on the market to replace. Undo 7 clips and then pull out the mesh and place in the new filter. Pretty simple compared to having to remove under dash bolts and a complete fusebox like on the Mazdas.

As for the thermostat, the motor isnt a Holden design, it's a gm motor. And was used in east/west designations. Moving it North/South makes the t-stat location awkward.