Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

304 Cam installation

Pub247

Reaction score
Members Ride
Ford Fairmont
all dailing in does is move the powerband up and down the rev range so to speak if you were using it for a track car drag car is where it would benefit you the most .

A cam card will tell you what the lift should be at TDC it doesnt mean that is what its going to be. Doigs8 is right you set it to that lift @ TDC then you use the 50" duration to check that it is right.
If I was building a engine i'd dail it in if i was just doing a cam swap i'd set it dot to dot so to speak. You'll never never find true TDC without taking the heads off

VrWagz1

The Wagon on Wheels..
Reaction score
Website
www.wagzhome.justcommodores.com.au
Members Ride
VE SSV MY09 Auto Wagon
stocky, you wanna write up an awesome howto on installing and dialing in a cam.

stocky

Reaction score
Members Ride
1995 HSV Clubsport T5, 1991 VN Berlina
stocky, you wanna write up an awesome howto on installing and dialing in a cam.

haha i could later on, but i didnt dial mine in. this thread has given me a lot of useful information. my car should be running tomorrow, so i will see how it all goes then. one thing worrying me though, the rockers. ive torqued them up properly, but i can still move the rocker itself a bit. the part with th bolt through it holding the rocker on doesnt move, but the rocker itself has a little sideways action. is this normal? im thinking i may need to remove one of the shims underneath the bolt.

stocky

Reaction score
Members Ride
well i can push down on the pushrod a bit, and it moves that way, but i think some of them can swivel a bit from side to side

383 hatch

Reaction score
Members Ride
VG Ute 5.0,Torana hatch 383,WB Ute 5.0,VR stato5.0
I wouldn't get too concerned about it at this stage, all the slack should go away once the lifters bleed up. Once you have got the engine running and all sorted, it wouldn't hurt to pop the rocker covers back off and have a look see in there and make sure all is good. If the lifters go quiet fairly quickly thats a pretty good indication that all is well....

ari666

250,000 hits
Reaction score
Members Ride
1966 impala, R32 GTR
I wouldn't get too concerned about it at this stage, all the slack should go away once the lifters bleed up. Once you have got the engine running and all sorted, it wouldn't hurt to pop the rocker covers back off and have a look see in there and make sure all is good. If the lifters go quiet fairly quickly thats a pretty good indication that all is well....

worded perfectly.

didnt you get some material taken off your heads? if anything they should be tighter than they were before. but yeah, once the lifters fill with oil you should be sweet.

on the crane cams installation guide it says that its better to break in the cam with your rockers a little on the loose side cos less chance of holding a valve open.

stocky

Reaction score
Members Ride
ah ok. well i ran the cam and everything in today. it all seemed to be fine. took the covers off and they seem a bit harder, and all are still torqued up at the right setting.

its nice and loud though. i will give more word on the performance once the clutch has worn in properly, and i have a good tune in it. the ECu didnt like my cam tune eprom, so i have been running it on a normal 304 tune. only notice a slight misfire from that around 2500rpm or so, so i will be driving it softly until i get the chip fixed

greenfoam

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Executive R-spec
Sounds like a drive to the farm is in order. I'm still swapping valve springs in mine before it goes into the shed. I'm cleaning all the carbon/sludge off the rockers and such as I go, so it's slow going. I was going to leave the bucket off the springs so I have more lift clearence untill I decided they help stop the spring wobbling around alot so I left them on