Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

carburrettored V6

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
some big arguments been make here on the subjust of carby Vs EFI. some valid points also but i thinks there are a few to many assumptions being made. carbies are VERY tunable, especially if you know all the different circuits etc and how they are used CORRECTLY. yes EFI is more tunable for emmisions(but carbies can be too), but unless your as talented as greenfoam with playing with memcals etc most of use home performance enthusiasts would need to go to a well equiped dyno facilty to do any sort of tuning really where as a carby all you really need is a few hand tools and some knowledge. now most probably doen't understand the carbie either, but if you where to read some of the literature written by David Vizard (US engine guru and a university lecturer on the subject) a carbie setup would perform almost as well in all areas and he claims some carbie setups can outperform EFI setups in all out performance applications. now personally i'm an EFI guy but a well tuned carbie in the correct setup would run well, should meet emmisions requirements and would be a lot of fun to play with. i'd suggest surfing some of the US websites, look for the turbo V6 buick forums, the're making well in excess of 1500bhp and i'm pretty sure they are using the carbie and dizzy setup. also note that california, USA has some of most stringent emmisions laws in the world and they still use carbies there don't they?

Don Sutton

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Commodore Acclaim
I think putting a carburettor on an engine which has been modified to run with fuel injection would be a costly excersise. You would need to get a distributor made to handle the spark advance as the computer which controls the injection handles this. The carburettor, unless secondhand would be expensive along with the manifold and at the end of it you would have:-
1] An engine which uses more fuel.
2] An engine which produces less power except perhaps at one rev band where it may be equal to a fuel injected engine.
3] A car that nobody likes to follow because it will probably stink with all the periods where you have the fueling out.
4] A couple of years of f**t ar**ing around to get it to drive right.

But if you are putting the engine in a boat then maybe then the carby may be the only way unless you can adapt or rechip the computer to ignore the vehicle speed sensor.

Immortality

Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
maybe people need to realise that the buick 3.8 engine ORIGINALLY came out with a carburetor and dizzy setup in the US way back before i was even around, so to say that it would be difficult to do is definitly an overstatement. difficult to get running, there should be no reason at all that it should be difficult, there a plentifull parts for this setup in the US, cheap too i bet and there is a very large performance market for the turbo V6 buick motors.

each to there own, but don't shoot this guy for wanting to do something slightly different

Full Spectrum

Bro it's a VW your Audi!
Reaction score
Website
www.news.com.au
Members Ride
Berlina V6
No-one is hooting him down but what everyone is trying too suggest is 3 things.
It wasn't made these engine like this.
It will chug fuel.
And it will go very slow and it's drive might be super ruff. He might even hate it in the end.
Something like a twin throttle body set-up would be unique and another option.

I was just in a VN Calais 5lt and belted the life out of it, You can't compare the 2 5lt's carby and EFI and they are made that way. If made too go backwards:eek:.
The smoothness from fuel injection is nice it's a more efficient running car.

Immortality

Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
unfortunatly the twin throttle body thing been done by plenty by now and definitly not unique. a well tuned carbie shouldn't be rough to drive and yes it will use a little more gas then EFI but not nearly as much as you seem to suggest and there is no reason for it to be slow at all if setup right. bit difficult to compare 2 engines even if they are both 5ltr's unless both run identical cams, exhaust, heads etc,etc, etc like comparing peas and carrots really

hakhawk

smooth moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
BMW E21 320i, E36 "318IS" coupe
ok, the old carbied buicks bits WILL NOT FIT the holden v6's, they changed the motor layout a LOT, if he wants to use carby bits from a us carby buick, buy the whole motor, then go nuts with all the crazy heads, cams, etc that are out there for it.

hes already said hes pretty much gonna hackup a vn manifold and go from there.

Immortality

Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
it would look good with triple 40 webbers, very tunable but need constant adjustment to keep in tune. look good though and it's probably not being done much at all

VNCalais98K

Reaction score
Members Ride
VN Calais no more
I just cant imagine the huge pain in the ass it would be to organise a dizzy setup, plus arrange all the components to run independent of the ECU.
How will the tacho work? and the speedo... all these run on pulses from the ECU am i right?
Good luck is all i can say, i wouldnt want to be attempting it.

Full Spectrum

Bro it's a VW your Audi!
Reaction score
Website
www.news.com.au
Members Ride
Berlina V6
unfortunatly the twin throttle body thing been done by plenty by now and definitly not unique. a well tuned carbie shouldn't be rough to drive and yes it will use a little more gas then EFI but not nearly as much as you seem to suggest and there is no reason for it to be slow at all if setup right. bit difficult to compare 2 engines even if they are both 5ltr's unless both run identical cams, exhaust, heads etc,etc, etc like comparing peas and carrots really
Don;t you remember the VK VL V8's some carby some EFI.
Just imagine the sensors that need to be played with no just the ECU.
Unique single turbo 3.3lt into a VN:).

Immortality

Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
i thought the VK had the last of the 308 V8 ( group 3 specs, and last of the"big bangers" as Brockie:rip: put it) rochester carbie and 304 for the group A specs and the VL had the 304 . i also thought the only EFI VL's were the group A twin TB setup in the Walkinshaw model