Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Ceramic Coating Headers

Tonner Matt

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ 1 Tonner LS1 M6
Here we go again..........

426Cuda

SUBLIME!
Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Redline Sedan - A6 Spitfire MSE...
When was the last time any one wore out a set of headers from the inside?
How much does it cost to coat the inside? It would want to be cheap before I'd even consider it. I just really cannot see the point. I'd only even do the outside for the aesthetics. I do like the look of them. The benefits would be pretty marginal in my opinion.

VinnieLS3

Reaction score
Members Ride
VFII Commodore SSV Redline
How much does it cost to coat the inside? It would want to be cheap before I'd even consider it. I just really cannot see the point. I'd only even do the outside for the aesthetics. I do like the look of them. The benefits would be pretty marginal in my opinion.

I was quoted $225 to do just the outside and $450 to both inside and outside.

Deuce

Super Stock
Reaction score
Members Ride
'94 VR SS V8
View attachment 196891
Above is the state of HSV headers inside and out after almost a decade.
Without any coating headers will outlast the model run of your car, do you realise that? By like 20 years or so! False economy thinking coating that is going to save money, car will be worthless by that time. Certainly not going to increase its value because the inside of the pipe is shiny or otherwise.
This picture and comment is the most sensible so far.
With carbon and all the residue from burnt additives coating the inside of your pipes, why pay someone to clean that out and coat something else on it.
Yeah, maybe it reduces heat getting into the pipe, as much as the exterior coating stops heat getting out of the pipe, but. . . . .

panhead

Reaction score
Members Ride
Cars

I've eaten through a dozen or so mild steel sets since the mid 1970's as I hang on to most of my cars and with minimal driving they just don't last.

A few sets were coated on the outside and I ended up with metal filling up the mufflers.

I eat through a set of painted Pacemakers on a HSV in 8 years with less than 20,000 kays.

I'm yet to replace a set that has been internally and externally coated.

The first time I had anything coated inside and out was when I had my VE twin turboed and the installer said the pipes would last much longer than a wrap if I coated the inside as well as the outside and it would be kinder to my engine, they also advised me it's always a good idea to do the same to the headers on my N/A cars as well.

They weren't making any money out of it as I supplied the hardware.

The refurbished set I posted in my earlier post cost the same to coat inside and out as it did for just the outside.

The price for those also includes the cost of the stripping and polishing inside and out which needed to be done regardless of which approach I took to the coating.

I spend my money as I see fit and as an Engineer who can't for the life of me ever do just a half a job it would hurt my head not to go that bit extra.

Each to their own really and if the car is just quickly passing through your life I can understand why you wouldn't worry and would prefer doing every mod on the cheap and let it become the next's owner's problem but for a keeper I'd take a very different approach.

Last edited:

panhead

Reaction score
Members Ride
Cars
I was quoted $225 to do just the outside and $450 to both inside and outside.

Vinnie that's a good price for external only, which coating shop is offering that deal?

VinnieLS3

Reaction score
Members Ride
VFII Commodore SSV Redline
Vinnie that's a good price for external only, which coating shop is offering that deal?

Ceramic Coat Australia here in Adelaide..
Yeah I though it was pretty good seeing as Di Filippo charge $330 for external coating.

blackve76

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SS ute 360rwkw N/A, 2016 VF2 SS M6
Don't they dip the header in a acid bath to clean and then dip header for the coating?? or is it painted??

Ive had some done by Ceramic coat in Adelaide(pacemaker) and never asked about internal it was just done

monstar

Naturally as-pirated
Reaction score
Website
facebook.com
Members Ride
Peugeot 207 GTi
Don't they dip the header in a acid bath to clean and then dip header for the coating?? or is it painted??

Ive had some done by Ceramic coat in Adelaide(pacemaker) and never asked about internal it was just done
Yeah I think PaceMaker dip the lot (inside and out) in requested coating unless you specify.
51FF74A9-BF9E-408C-9F67-4719AE6C2945.jpeg

monty_vfssv

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SSV S2 Redline
My difilippo headers have just turned up, they are ceramic coated inside and out.. now off to fit it all up.