Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Clunk diff

Snowwolf

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF gts
Hi all, is the diff on the VF clunky by nature ?

Mavericks Choice

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF2 SSV M6, VF2 LS3 Calais V, VZ 6L M6 Crewie
Have a reasonably new 1200K SSV M6 ute & the diff is very quiet.

OzTurtle

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF II Redline
20,000k's in on my 320RWKW Redline (auto), all quiet.

Smitty

Reaction score
Members Ride
GenF SV340 R8 Tourer, VK race car, ZX12R
... 30,000 kms on the R8
and all quiet :)

Snowwolf

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF gts
Mine is fine while driving no noise at all, but if your on slightly bumpy road surface and coasting slow or if you was to put it in neutral on a bumpy surface moving slowly it sounds like something is really loose, like a box of nuts and bolts being shaken in a tin, I cant find anything loose under the car, all the time you have Drive there is no noise over bumps

XR_Strider_GuY

Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV GEN F2 SV Black
Mine is fine while driving no noise at all, but if your on slightly bumpy road surface and coasting slow or if you was to put it in neutral on a bumpy surface moving slowly it sounds like something is really loose, like a box of nuts and bolts being shaken in a tin, I cant find anything loose under the car, all the time you have Drive there is no noise over bumps

Keep me posted. I own an SV Black Manual and I thought I heard this exact sound you are talking about. With drive it seems fine, no issues. How many km's on your GTS?

Snowwolf

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF gts
It had the noise at 3000 miles a new diff was fitted about 3000 miles ago and it was quieter but the noise has now come back, drives perfect when even the slightest of load but as soon as you take foot off gas peddle on bumpy ground you get a clanky sound like something is loose on the passenger side rear Drive area,

yz23

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SV6
All holdens no matter what prices clunk and rattle. All of them.

XR_Strider_GuY

Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV GEN F2 SV Black
It had the noise at 3000 miles a new diff was fitted about 3000 miles ago and it was quieter but the noise has now come back, drives perfect when even the slightest of load but as soon as you take foot off gas peddle on bumpy ground you get a clanky sound like something is loose on the passenger side rear Drive area,

Sounds like this is a characteristic of the 3.7 rear end in the manuals especially since you got yours replaced. Going to test this tonight over slow bumpy corners and driving over those ripple pedestrian crossings in neutral.

Snowwolf

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF gts
Yes give it a try XR just in a straight line will do, or when standstill just keep snatching clutch peddle to biting point continually it will make it clunk a lot