Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Cylinder head bolt removal.

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SV6
has anyone on here ever had much luck with removing the cylinder heads from an alloytec? got the rocker covers off and cams out, but unless i’m looking at the wrong bolts, the 8 bolts in each cylinder head aren’t budging, not even with a torque wrench.

_R_J_K_

Reaction score
Members Ride
Zenki S14
not even with a torque wrench.

I can't help you, but you don't undo things with a torque wrench. It's supposed to be a precision kind of deal that does things up to specified measurement. You're not even really meant to undo torqued stuff with a ratchet.

Use a bigger breaker bar, or put a pole over the one you have.

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SV6
I can't help you, but you don't undo things with a torque wrench. It's supposed to be a precision kind of deal that does things up to specified measurement. You're not even really meant to undo torqued stuff with a ratchet.

Use a bigger breaker bar, or put a pole over the one you have.

the way i’ve always worked on engines and my experience using the torque wrench has never made a difference to what you just said whatsoever, but thanks for your insight lmao

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
Saying to a long-term member LMAO when he was giving sound advice won't help your cause in figuring out how to get the head bolts off. I hear SCA sell VE Haynes manuals might be time to buy one. ;);) ROFLMAO

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SV6
Saying to a long-term member LMAO when he was giving sound advice won't help your cause in figuring out how to get the head bolts off. I hear SCA sell VE Haynes manuals might be time to buy one. ;);) ROFLMAO

sorry, “long term member” lol

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
Yeah I agree $200 torque wrench or $60 breaker bar that has way more leverage and strength. I would never use mine for anything but torquing. But I'm anal with most of my tools.

lmoengnr

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
MY12.5 Maloo R8, MY12 Redline ute, Magnum 224
I always was of the understanding that using a torque wrench for other than torquing
can render them pretty much useless as they get thrown out of whack
I personally wouldn't risk it but
I could be wrong though.

Depends on the torque wrench.
If its a reversible, ratcheting torque wrench, it'll be fine.
A deflecting beam torque wrench(Warren & Brown) shouldn't be used in reverse, unless the square drive goes all the way through the head. Then you can flip it over and use it upside down.

wetwork65

A wet business
Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SSV Wagon & VF SV6 Wagon
I always was of the understanding that using a torque wrench for other than torquing
can render them pretty much useless as they get thrown out of whack
I personally wouldn't risk it but
I could be wrong though.
Yep - using them "backwards", forcing the ball against the other side of the detent is just backwards thinking. Assuming a common click type is being used. Otherwise there are other types.
They are meant to torque up, not down.