Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

ECOTEC Rebuild. The complete story

P

portercg

Chapter 11
Hmmm what else.
Pic 1 I used this lump of hardwood and G clamps to keep the gearbox steady while doing the job. This let me position the 'box so that when re-installing the engine it all lined up perfectly. From start to finish I had no help, although I wish I did when putting the bonnet back on. I must have looked funny doing it but I worked it out and did it anyway.

Pic 2 Make sure you put all the accessories on the engine while it's on the stand. And don't kill yourself doing this without an engine stand. You only have one back and I bought the stand with 450kg capacity for only $115.00
Looks nice n clean eh?

Attachments

• ECOTEC Rebuild 041.jpg
    ECOTEC Rebuild 041.jpg
    188.6 KB · Views: 884
  • ECOTEC Rebuild 039.jpg
    ECOTEC Rebuild 039.jpg
    203 KB · Views: 1,042
P

portercg

Chapter 12
All done now, it's back in the engine bay, nice n clean (but that cover needs something done) The engine will run a bit rough for a short while because the engine management system is re-learning itself (it will always do this if the battery has been disconnected for a while, GM calls this "block re-learn" and the steps are in the manual) If any hoses, bearings or belts look suspect, this is the time to do it. Oh and my radiator has had a core from a Gen3 V8 installed. this is a 3 row core, standard is 2 rows. Anyone who does a power upgrade to an Ecotec should consider this and it's not that expensive compared to a "special" radiator. A trans cooler is also a must in my opinion.

Attachments

• ECOTEC Rebuild 048.jpg
    ECOTEC Rebuild 048.jpg
    199.7 KB · Views: 812

deserthead

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS III l67 Column Shift Ute
Thats fantastic!!! Well done!!! :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Also how long did it take to do?

sixshooter

Reaction score
Members Ride
2x VS
:( Filing the cylinder head !?

Last edited:
P

portercg

Cost in parts & machining ran to app $4000 retail including oils coolants and sealants, + cleaning materials. I also replaced both engine mounts (a must when the car gets to this age) serviced the transmission and replaced the power steering pump. The new rocker bolts and timing chain set ran the cost up as well. I had some trade assist in a few areas which meant that I saved a few bucks and the labour was my own. car was off the road for a month as I only had a day and a half a week max to work on it. I spose if I worked non-stop 7 hrs a day then 4 1/2 to 5 days at a steady pace. I spent lots of time cleaning by hand, had no pressure blaster to speed that task up etc. Obvioulsly at home some tasks are done the long way and it could be done faster in a proper workshop by someone more familiar with the job.

Which ever way you look at it it's very hard to beat the crate engines but I took my time with this job and fussed over the assembly a lot more than normal. I hope it reflects how long I now expect this engine to last and I really want to see no oil leaks for a very long time.

hinterland

commyvt
Reaction score
Website
www.freewebs.com
Members Ride
vt sed turbo
great thread good to see a helping hand and done so well goodonya

cracker

Reaction score
yea good thread maybe i should do one for the buick v6? iv got tons of photos from when i did mine.

P

portercg

yeah go on, then the boys and girls can see the difference between the two types of engine

na3point8

Reaction score
let us know how it goes mate thanks for putting up the story many useful hints there