Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Freaking out!! Oil on top of gearbox?!

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
Could be

Craig Facey

Reaction score
Members Ride
VTII Calais 5.7
Sounds like you've got a vacuum leak.... check youtube on some simple methods to find where it is.... In some of the older cars I've owned its been as simple as spraying some carby cleaner on the vacuum hoses while someone taps the brakes etc with the engine running and usually I've found that one of the vacuum lines is deteriorated around the join... often they are long enough that you can disconnect them then use a sharp knife to trim the damaged/stretched section then reconnect them.. or else replace the whole line... the hoses are usually pretty cheap....

Hot tip = if a line is difficult to remove from its connector then consider using a hot air gun to heat the rubber first... otherwise you could break the connector off inside the old line and some of those parts can be costly and/or a pain to find....

Good luck... let's hope its not your brake booster... that's a bigger job....

Stef-vy

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vx 02' + 97 vt commodore
Could I use this pcv valve? It's out of my vy series 2
And should it have an o ring on it or just like so in photo?

Attachments

• IMG_0816.JPG
    IMG_0816.JPG
    86.8 KB · Views: 113
Last edited:

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
The PCV valve is internal and at idle would be bypassing a fair bit of air but you wouldn't hear it. Most likely you have an external vacuum leak so I'd be looking over all the vacuum lines and fitting first.

Yes, the PCV has an O ring around it, quiet often then stick inside the manifold when removing the valve.

Stef-vy

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vx 02' + 97 vt commodore
Thank you.
I will give it a check over tomorrow, also the o ring definitely did not come out with PCV so I'll check to see if it will come out easy or worth buying a new one if possible.