Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Front Tow strap options

EricSSV

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SSV Sedan Man
Hi
I have been searching for info on any options for tow strap fitting on a VF.

Has anyone attached to the crash bar behind the bumper? Im thinking of a welded similar to C section could wrap around the crash bar with a hole for a tow strap.
The C section would need to be held with a bolt through it.

I started thinking about this due to track days but the stock tow point under the car are really not great for the angle of the bumper even if needing to use a flatbed after a breakdown on the road.

Has anyone come up with a simple option?

Nando.

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF ssv redline.
Hi
I have been searching for info on any options for tow strap fitting on a VF.

Has anyone attached to the crash bar behind the bumper? Im thinking of a welded similar to C section could wrap around the crash bar with a hole for a tow strap.
The C section would need to be held with a bolt through it.

I started thinking about this due to track days but the stock tow point under the car are really not great for the angle of the bumper even if needing to use a flatbed after a breakdown on the road.

Has anyone come up with a simple option?
Hi.
As far as I know you are not ment to tow a VF.as it has electric stearing.
But. I could be wrong.

EricSSV

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SSV Sedan Man
Hi.
As far as I know you are not ment to tow a VF.as it has electric stearing.
But. I could be wrong.
I dont mean tow it home for eg. Tow as in get it onto a flatbed or off the track, out of the kitty litter.
Lets hope none of those things happen ;)

RevNev

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF II SSV Redline Ute
Tow as in get it onto a flatbed or off the track, out of the kitty litter.
It's amazing to see the amount of people at track days despite being 10 secs off the pace, trying to carry too much corner speed and running off the track. At the "slow" lap times they're doing, they shouldn't be anywhere near sticking the car in the sand, but someone does every time!

You're right with tow strap angles, I've seen many damage bumpers but there's not much to attach a strap to the front of a VF with the ideal towing angle without some bracket fabrication. I'd be inclined to have a look behind the rego plate to attach a bracket and cut a hole in the bumper, remove the rego plate and bolt the tow strap on for track days.

Smitty

Reaction score
Members Ride
GenF SV340 R8 Tourer, VK race car, ZX12R
I dont mean tow it home for eg. Tow as in get it onto a flatbed or off the track, out of the kitty litter.
it does though...
what ...? like this?
13433069_966728083444363_914645232558749504_o.jpg

EricSSV

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SSV Sedan Man
Yes that was me at sandown. Well more than 10 sec off the pace. I wasnt braking late, i was chickening out and coming off the gas early off the 2 straights. In Sep I have phillip island and I am having the school option to help me. Then sandown again in Nov. Cant wait! :D

EricSSV

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SSV Sedan Man
It's amazing to see the amount of people at track days despite being 10 secs off the pace, trying to carry too much corner speed and running off the track. At the "slow" lap times they're doing, they shouldn't be anywhere near sticking the car in the sand, but someone does every time!

You're right with tow strap angles, I've seen many damage bumpers but there's not much to attach a strap to the front of a VF with the ideal towing angle without some bracket fabrication. I'd be inclined to have a look behind the rego plate to attach a bracket and cut a hole in the bumper, remove the rego plate and bolt the tow strap on for track days.
Yes there is a nice gap near the number plate to one side. Sits level with the crash bar. It would be nice and have a bracket fab to suit.
I asked Clunie Garage and he said they bolted to the crash bar also.

Attachments

• Tow strap Clunie.jpg
    Tow strap Clunie.jpg
    42.6 KB · Views: 76

EricSSV

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SSV Sedan Man
I put this in today

Attachments

• VCM-Extinguisher.jpg
    VCM-Extinguisher.jpg
    430.5 KB · Views: 70

RevNev

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF II SSV Redline Ute
Yes that was me at sandown. Well more than 10 sec off the pace. I wasnt braking late, i was chickening out and coming off the gas early off the 2 straights. In Sep I have phillip island and I am having the school option to help me. Then sandown again in Nov. Cant wait! :D
Yes, learning how to brake so you go as fast as you can in a straight line and enter the corner slow and then work at corner exists produces the fastest lap times and you're not close to spinning out or running off the track. It's a good idea to get some training for Phillip Island as it's fast and dangerous track if you get it wrong.

Sandown is a great track, I won the HSV Nationals there 1998 in a modified VR GTS and took 3.3 seconds off their lap record with a 1:30.00, probably a slow time today. I found the trophy earlier this year!

20230208_001408.jpg

EricSSV

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SSV Sedan Man
Yes, learning how to brake so you go as fast as you can in a straight line and enter the corner slow and then work at corner exists produces the fastest lap times and you're not close to spinning out or running off the track. It's a good idea to get some training for Phillip Island as it's fast and dangerous track if you get it wrong.

Sandown is a great track, I won the HSV Nationals there 1998 in a modified VR GTS and took 3.3 seconds off their lap record with a 1:30.00, probably a slow time today. I found the trophy earlier this year!

View attachment 255166
Thats awesome. Does you vf ever see a tack day?