Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Front Tow strap options

EricSSV

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SSV Sedan Man
Yes, learning how to brake so you go as fast as you can in a straight line and enter the corner slow and then work at corner exists produces the fastest lap times and you're not close to spinning out or running off the track. It's a good idea to get some training for Phillip Island as it's fast and dangerous track if you get it wrong.

Sandown is a great track, I won the HSV Nationals there 1998 in a modified VR GTS and took 3.3 seconds off their lap record with a 1:30.00, probably a slow time today. I found the trophy earlier this year!

View attachment 255166
I wish i was closer to The Bend in SA

RevNev

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF II SSV Redline Ute
Thats awesome. Does you vf ever see a tack day?
No, I retired the VR GTS in 1999 when too many 4 wheel drive turbo's came on stream, Evo Lancer's and WRX's and couldn't beat them on R Spec tyres. Rear wheel drive cars needed to be on slicks to match the 4WD corner exit speeds, but we couldn't get a rule change to run slicks at CAMS sanctioned speed events. We concentrated on race cars then and I never tracked another road car of mine, but I've driven a few Commodores, from VT to VF testing set ups etc for those who do. VE/VF were the best track cars stock, much better and faster than the earlier models!

Smitty

Reaction score
Members Ride
GenF SV340 R8 Tourer, VK race car, ZX12R
Yes that was me at sandown. Well more than 10 sec off the pace. I wasnt braking late, i was chickening out and coming off the gas early off the 2 straights. In Sep I have phillip island and I am having the school option to help me. Then sandown again in Nov. Cant wait! :D

watch PI.. it bites

20160320_111500.jpg

Attachments

• 20160320_111500.jpg
    20160320_111500.jpg
    385.9 KB · Views: 57

EricSSV

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SSV Sedan Man
No, I retired the VR GTS in 1999 when too many 4 wheel drive turbo's came on stream, Evo Lancer's and WRX's and couldn't beat them on R Spec tyres. Rear wheel drive cars needed to be on slicks to match the 4WD corner exit speeds, but we couldn't get a rule change to run slicks at CAMS sanctioned speed events. We concentrated on race cars then and I never tracked another road car of mine, but I've driven a few Commodores, from VT to VF testing set ups etc for those who do. VE/VF were the best track cars stock, much better and faster than the earlier models!
Sounds like you should have a car in the V8 Utes ;)

Smitty

Reaction score
Members Ride
it bit.. again
20160320_121458.jpg

Smitty

Reaction score
Members Ride
and ...
DSC01111.jpg

EricSSV

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SSV Sedan Man
I aim to be careful at the track days. Improve my driving and enjoy my car in a controlled environment.

I remember at the last HSV sandown track day, on one of my last runs I was following a Senator and keeping up. I said to myself "dont get too cocky and F*** up on the last run.

I felt like my car and tyres etc were very comfortable and my ability was miles behind the car. I never had the car even thinking about getting out of shape.

Handling Mods
coilovers
Pilot Sport 4S
New brke lines and castrol SRF
DBA XP pads
Soon to arrive I have some DBA T3 4000 front rotors.
I just have standard SSV calipers.

Last edited:

RevNev

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF II SSV Redline Ute
Sounds like you should have a car in the V8 Utes ;)
We had a look at that once with the Holden and Ford Utes, but there were too many controlled components and could only assemble them ourselves. They had a controlled body shell, engine, gearbox etc you had to buy from other suppliers and didn't suit what we do. We had HQ Holden's racing, Saloon Cars, Improved production and we ran the early Kumho Series with a VZ V8 Supercar. We've still got the VZ Supercar and a VZ Improved Production car that last ran in 2015. We've spoken recently about running the Supercar in Sports Sedans at The Bend although there's bit of work involved as it's sat around for last 8 years.

RevNev

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF II SSV Redline Ute
I just have standard SSV calipers.
That's ok with good pads, now you can use 18" wheels and R-spec tyres and will make a dramatic "blow your mind" difference over any road tyres! Run as much negative camber on the front as you can with 2 to 4mm toe out and take the rear sway bar off. With coil overs, raise the rear suspension height to reduce understeer or lower the front. Big sway bars on the track will screw the handling potential up, just use the stock front bar and balance the car with ride height adjustment and watch your lap times and confidence in the car improve!