Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Front Tow strap options

EricSSV

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SSV Sedan Man
That's ok with good pads, now you can use 18" wheels and R-spec tyres and will make a dramatic "blow your mind" difference over any road tyres! Run as much negative camber on the front as you can with 2 to 4mm toe out and take the rear sway bar off. With coil overs, raise the rear suspension height to reduce understeer or lower the front. Big sway bars on the track will screw the handling potential up, just use the stock front bar and balance the car with ride height adjustment and watch your lap times and confidence in the car improve!
I have thought about some of these things but wasn't sure about the on road use and tyre wear etc.
Its a weekender and it will be driven to the track.
I do sometimes daydream about and SS just setup for this ;) (i dont see it happening)

vc commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC, VH and VY
The settings @RevNev suggested are good for track work but will cause accelerated inner edge wear if you were to drive on the street continually with it

RevNev

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF II SSV Redline Ute
I have thought about some of these things but wasn't sure about the on road use and tyre wear etc.
Its a weekender and it will be driven to the track.
I do sometimes daydream about and SS just setup for this ;) (i dont see it happening)
A track setup for fast lap times drives bad on the street. Most change their settings, drive to the track and back then change the car to their street setup. How fast you want to be, generally determines how much effort you put into it and how much money you spend.

Smitty

Reaction score
Members Ride
GenF SV340 R8 Tourer, VK race car, ZX12R
................ Big sway bars on the track will screw the handling potential up, just use the stock front bar and balance the car with ride height adjustment and watch your lap times and confidence in the car improve!
a big yes to that!
early days with the Commodore (BEFORE I got the engone made more powerful) I played with brakes and suspension

had guys in the car club offering REALLY helpful stuff... like BIGGER is BETTER , and the suspension HAS to be stiff
you need at least 12° neg camber, 20° castor and -10° toe All of which I found is the wrong way to get a car around a racetrack
.. easily and with less stress on the driver

But I did play... std springs but 36mm front sway bar 24mm rear bar here, entering T4 at Sandown
So out of shape one of the club guys (who was meant to be flagging ) took a pic .....

San1152.jpg

EricSSV

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SSV Sedan Man
a big yes to that!
early days with the Commodore (BEFORE I got the engone made more powerful) I played with brakes and suspension

had guys in the car club offering REALLY helpful stuff... like BIGGER is BETTER , and the suspension HAS to be stiff
you need at least 12° neg camber, 20° castor and -10° toe All of which I found is the wrong way to get a car around a racetrack
.. easily and with less stress on the driver

But I did play... std springs but 36mm front sway bar 24mm rear bar here, entering T4 at Sandown
So out of shape one of the club guys (who was meant to be flagging ) took a pic .....

View attachment 255230
How often are you on the track smitty? Are you in the holden sporting car club?

Smitty

Reaction score
Members Ride

EricSSV

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SSV Sedan Man
I have wondered what that club would be like but thought I prob would not be wanting to compete so to speak. Or is it for people doing entry level track day type events also?

Smitty

Reaction score
Members Ride
............................... is it for people doing entry level track day type events also?
absolutely ! that is how I started.
wanted to know if my VX SS was a weapon (it wasn't) and it only showed me
that if I was serious, then I need to do refreshers of the performance/high speed
driver training I had done at Sandown (if I was to be any good)

EricSSV

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SSV Sedan Man
absolutely ! that is how I started.
wanted to know if my VX SS was a weapon (it wasn't) and it only showed me
that if I was serious, then I need to do refreshers of the performance/high speed
driver training I had done at Sandown (if I was to be any good)
Id be interested if there are any come try days and meet the club.

Fu Manchu

We’ll get together. Have a few laughs.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Crewman, VZ Cross 8, & ya mum.