Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Fuel for a VF SV6 S1

Pollushon

Boost gives me a bar....
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS
Not really, a lot of people into cars who don't do much more than plonk around to the shops like the idea of using optimum products, fuel oil etc. Given the choice of a range of products, it's surprising how many people choose the fundamentally better and more expensive products even telling them they probably don't need it.

Speaking of fuel, another engine the knock sensors pull ignition timing out on 91 big time, is the BA to FGX 4.0 litre Ford Barra engine, but on 98 there's no knock sensor intervention.
Advertising works well. Fuel companies want you to believe they're doing you a favour with some secret sauce. Like they're not throwing a handful of dirt in the 98. Premium fuels aren't 'better' they're just different. The reality is folk are paying their advertising bills

Forg

Reaction score
Members Ride
Regal Peackock VF SS-V Redline Wagoon
Advertising works well. Fuel companies want you to believe they're doing you a favour with some secret sauce. Like they're not throwing a handful of dirt in the 98. Premium fuels aren't 'better' they're just different. The reality is folk are paying their advertising bills
I don’t trust the fuel companies, but it was definitely the case 15 years ago that they were chucking the same stuff into 95 & 98 which is in those bottles of “injector cleaner”. So then, at least, you were actually keeping your sh1t from being gummed-up by using it.

Setting aside the fact that 98 means the machine that goes “ping” works less.

Pollushon

Boost gives me a bar....
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS
I don’t trust the fuel companies, but it was definitely the case 15 years ago that they were chucking the same stuff into 95 & 98 which is in those bottles of “injector cleaner”. So then, at least, you were actually keeping your sh1t from being gummed-up by using it.

Setting aside the fact that 98 means the machine that goes “ping” works less.
The one thing I've learned over the last decade or so playing with boost is that the bigger brands are pretty solid on their octane ratings. Where they all fall down is additives, consistency and particularly in Australia, sulphur content. It's why I've always gone BP which in my experience is the most consistent. Then there's the whole other matter of trust in the actual servo and location that's selling the fuel. As for the chemical composition, that's only ever a guess as they won't share said data and there comes a point where you can't put more additive in or it's not really fuel anymore

As for all the fuel systems, manifolds, heads and other pieces I've torn apart over the years, I've never really noticed any difference in gum and gunk regardless of the fuel used. It's always come down to maintenance