Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Getting rid of my craptastic automatic transmission

blackve76

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SS ute 360rwkw N/A, 2016 VF2 SS M6
It was subcontracted out to another shop, and it has a 2 year warranty...but there's no way I would ever go back to them for anything. If I don't go the conversion route, I might try tearing into it to see the issue if servicing it doesn't fix the issue. Wouldn't be surprised if they recycled the fluid or used old fluid in it.

Now, for those that have serviced their transmissions, will the 4L60E drain the torque converter if idled in park, or will it only circulate it when engaged in gear? If I'm going to spend the money to replace the fluid, I'm going to flush the entire system and get it right.

Edit: The Nulon everyone mentions is this one, yes? https://www.sparesbox.com.au/automa...H1OajrVscAvSM-2cJkESUaAuHH8P8HAQ&gclsrc=aw.ds

Has anyone tried Castrol? I've always had great results from them in my cars back in the States.

yep that's the stuff,

greenacc

Searching for the billion
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Berlina
Yep same stuff. Super cheap used to sell it until they did a deal with penrite.
Part of the mystery around the 4L60E or 65 whatever they call it now is the fluid spec. Holden specify dexron 6 for this box since they released that fluid and had a patent on it ie most people think they did this just to sell more fluid!
On newer boxes designed for very thin fluid I'd use it but the 4L60E is about 30 years old and developed to run on old fluids. I spent ages in auto stores deciding which one to use in my car and sent an email to Nulon. They replied that this full syn multi vehicle will work well in my car so I tried it and was very impressed. I used it for a few services over about 4 years and never had an issue. It doesn't strictly meet the Dex 6 spec though ( if u read the fine print it almost meets it) so it's unlikely Holden used anything like this.
Last service I did I used Penrite LV as I couldn't find the Nulon. Straight away it started slipping between 1st and 2nd. Long story but I sucked out about a litre of the LV and put it penrite FS which is very similar to the Nulon stuff and it's good as gold again.
Just what I've noticed

Anhevius

Reaction score
Members Ride
2010 Commodore Series II Omega Dual Fuel
I was thinking that Dex 6 would be a little thin, the 4L60 would need something with a higher density and sheer point, at least all the ones I'm familiar with. They were the most common in the older Silverados, and seemed to absolutely love a nice heavy fluid. I just figured they had done something different with the valve bodies here in Aus to allow it to work with the newer stuff....but I've seen where that leads. Failed transmissions and bad shifting.

greenacc

Searching for the billion
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Berlina
I have no idea what Holden did to the box but apparently Holden now specify Dex 6 retrospectively in all the old boxes as well so they seem to think it's the best but my car tells me different.
If you are concerned about the warranty on your new box then you could discuss it with Holden. Otherwise just drain the 4 litres out of the pan and put In some good fluid and see what happens.
Holden will no doubt void your warranty though just to get themselves off the hook so think about it first.

Anhevius

Reaction score
Members Ride
2010 Commodore Series II Omega Dual Fuel
Well, considering I already told the dealership to stuff the warranty and never to contact me again as I can't trust them to do right by my car...I'm obviously not concerned about the warranty any more. I'm going to scrounge up enough cash to flush the entire transmission, get the torque converter and everything.

Nfsve

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SV6
You need the Aisin box. The T56 and TR6060 are V8. You will need lots of re-flashing done at a dealer that has done this kind of thing before. Look in the VZ section for manual conversion to see what is required. From memory it was a full reflash to the VIN on a manual version of your car.