Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Head Gasket leak, how long before the wreck

Djayz

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX EXECUTIVE V6
Hey Guys,

As I often use this forum to get answers about my commodore, I registered today to ask you a few questions about my personal case, as it's very specific and tricky,

I have a holden commodore V6 VX Executive, 2001, that I bought a few months ago around 200 000kms.

I drove more than 20,000 with it, but troubles started about 5,000 kms ago.

Temperature needle rocketed for no reason in the middle of nowhere, and then all normal, from time to time temperature was rocketing. Went to a mechanical, told me everything was fine, that i had to go to an electrical mechanical.

He changed my relays, that were full of aunts, blocking the fans to work properly. Meaning, I drove like 2,000kms with fans not working properly, that's why sometimes temperature was rocketing, fans didn't do their job.

Then, I drove 2,000kms without problems, but I drove up a hill, needle rocketed again, went to a mechanical, compression issue with the head gasket, there is a leak somewhere, it would cost me from 1,5 to 2ks.

I bought the car for this price or so, and I will drop it to a wreck when I leave Australia, as I don't want to sell it if it's not working properly, not my type.

I chose not to go for the head gasket changing, and went to another mechanical who changed my thermostat.

Since then, no problem, temperature very good and car going ok, no white smoke, no bubbles, no milky oil.

Drove maybe 1000kms, but now my coolant is getting quickly low, moreover coolant from overflow doesn't go in my radiator anymore, I have to fill in directly the radiator by opening the radiator cap.

More important, a significant amount of coolant is visible on my oil cap, meaning that the leak is now bigger than before.

My question is, as I still have 20 days of travel to go, and about 1100 kms, do you think the car will be able to make it or do you it will die before that ? Visible milky oil started 100kms ago.

Do you think i should use Aluma-seal, or is that worse than good ? Considering that the car is going to wreck anyway...

Cheers!

Jason

graham7773

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Acclaim Wagon
Put your sealant in and see how it goes. If I lived in Brisbane, I would offer you $200 for it when you finish with it. Re $1500 to $2000 to repair, you could buy a cheapy VX for that sort of money. Where and when does your tour finish? :)

billythakid

Reaction score
Members Ride
vx II Executive
Change the radiator cap and see if it still happens
The oil getting in to the coolant will stuff the rubber o-ring under the cap and it won't draw coolant back in
New cap vs old you'll see the difference
Intake gaskets are the usual cause of coolant /oil leaks in the v6

VTS5

TechJunkie
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE OMEGA 3.6L Dual Fuel
Dump bottle of this into your radiator then go for a drive for few klms.

Attachments

• images.jpg
    images.jpg
    6.6 KB · Views: 397

Turtl3

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Calais V8 International
If your planning to wreck the vehicle just use chemiweld. It will work as a quick fix for the distance you are planning on travelling.

Drewie

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX SS (Original owner).
If your planning to wreck the vehicle just use chemiweld. It will work as a quick fix for the distance you are planning on travelling.

+1 for the chemiweld, I had a company VL Berlina many years ago, it lost all its water and either had a cracked head or headgasket had gone and was overheating, my new company car had been ordered but it took like 3 months before it arrived, my mechanic popped chemiweld in it and changed the oil and coolant and it ran perfectly for the 3 months whilst I waited for my then new VR.

gossie

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE International 3.6L
Chemiweld for sure.

10 years ago my Daughter had an old Toyota that she had had a lot of use out of with high kms. It showed milky in coolant, then in the oil. It used no oil or coolant.
I could see no point in her spending who knows what to take a look at it, or me pulling it apart, so in with the Chemiweld and it was all fixed for the next couple of years until I found her the VT she still has.

Toyota was sold to a guy with full history of it's regular services in the original books as well as explaining Chemiweld. He was perfectly happy to buy it without RWC or plates for $500.00.

WHCapriceHBD

Reaction score
Members Ride
01 VX
Chemiweld is your best friend in this case. Dump it in, and you will probably be fine until you leave. I have seen that stuff do amazing things before.

He changed my relays, that were full of aunts

I never really liked some of my aunts either. But you can't pick & choose your family..

lout

Reaction score
Members Ride
VXii Executive V6 , VYii Adventra LS1
just change your oil and radiator cap
and hope for the best