Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Hearing Whistling sound

SSVREDLINE2014

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SSV Redline
Hi all

Ive noticed the last month or so that while Im driving over 80km Im hearing this annoying whistling sound coming from the passager side. Ive taken it to holden and they did drive it and heard it and they said its normal which I find hard to believe. It sounds like air is getting in around the passager side revision mirror but cant be for certain.

Anyone else heard this in there VF?

panhead

Reaction score
Members Ride
Cars
If you mean you took it to the Holden Dealer and they said it was normal then don’t accept that.

Phone Holden Customer Service and tell them your problem.

If it’s not normal they’ll give you a reference number you can use to recontact them if you are still not happy when you return it to the dealership to be fixed.

One thing they will ask, has it ever had any damage on that side or has it been in an accident that may have change the vehicle alignment.

My VF2 doesn’t make any whistling noise or at least I can’t hear it over the rattles.

SSVREDLINE2014

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SSV Redline
Thanks for the reply. What type of rattle noise are you hearing? I get the clicking noise which sounds like the belt roller!

panhead

Reaction score
Members Ride
Cars
Thanks for the reply. What type of rattle noise are you hearing? I get the clicking noise which sounds like the belt roller!

I have a rattle in the same area but I can't tell if it's the belt roller and I don't think we are the Lone Ranger when it comes to this particular rattle.

The Dealer looked at it and said it was the coming from the belt mechanism and that they had fixed it.

By the time I got it home it had returned.

I range Holden customer service and not because I wasn't happy with the Dealer's service but because I buy a lot of new cars and I've learnt over the years the best ways to get repairs done.

I had my car booked in to be lowered and I wanted to be sure the rattle was recorded with Holden and that I had a reference number to prove it so someone couldn't say later that I had stiffened up the car and the rattle was caused by the fact the car could no longer flex properly.

I'm yet to take it back for a follow up as I'm waiting on a part to arrive to do with another matter and will have it worked on at the same time.

Also it's not your problem, it's theirs so if it's under warranty ask for a free loan car while yours is in the Dealership.

smegl98

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SS
Hi,

I am having the exact problem with my VF2 at the moment, anything over 100kph and a whistle sounds develops, not straight away but maybe 30 or so seconds after I have hit 100. Its really strange as it sounds like its coming from the front of the car, I took it back to the dealer and they found an engineering fix for a "whistle at highway speeds" where the seal under the bonnet (right at the front) wasn't thick enough. So I had the car in for the fix on monday but unfortunatly it hasn't fixed it, however I do now need to be doing over 110.

They also said the dealer principals personal VF2 has the same problem and its worse than mine, hopefully its common enough to get Holdens attention to fix it properly.

I will be taking mine back tomorrow.

David

SSVREDLINE2014

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SSV Redline
Hi,

I am having the exact problem with my VF2 at the moment, anything over 100kph and a whistle sounds develops, not straight away but maybe 30 or so seconds after I have hit 100. Its really strange as it sounds like its coming from the front of the car, I took it back to the dealer and they found an engineering fix for a "whistle at highway speeds" where the seal under the bonnet (right at the front) wasn't thick enough. So I had the car in for the fix on monday but unfortunatly it hasn't fixed it, however I do now need to be doing over 110.

They also said the dealer principals personal VF2 has the same problem and its worse than mine, hopefully its common enough to get Holdens attention to fix it properly.

I will be taking mine back tomorrow.

David

Do you hear it in the car while driving?

smegl98

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SS
Do you hear it in the car while driving?

It doesn't sound like its coming from inside the cabin if thats what you mean, its sounds like is originating from outside of the vehicle (like air rushing over the car) and its loud enough to hear it through the glass.

Immilesaway

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF2 SSVR
Ive got exactly the same sound, always at about 100k's. Ive got a bonnet protector, thought it was that at first, took it off and still makes the whistling noise. I drive on the 110kmh motorway every day and its starting to drive me up the wall.

smegl98

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SS
Ive got exactly the same sound, always at about 100k's. Ive got a bonnet protector, thought it was that at first, took it off and still makes the whistling noise. I drive on the 110kmh motorway every day and its starting to drive me up the wall.

Same, I had the bonnet protector but removed it because I thought it was the source of the sound.....it wasn't.

I spoke to the dealer on friday and they are not sure where to go next, they said they will just add more sealing to the front bonnet. I might just do it myself as its just weather strip material you can buy from any hardware. If I had to say, its slightly better after the first repair from the dealer, so maybe on to something.

The additional seal only runs between the headlamps (under the bonnet obviously). I might run some additional the whole width of the bonnet, I'll update later.

mantaray56

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE II SV6 Z