Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

help on replacing valve springs

Reaction score
Members Ride
VN SS 5.0
iv looked at some guides on the net but i cant seem to find much.
i was wondering if anyone knew how to replace valve springs without removing the heads.
iv read somewhere that you need an air compressor and put pressure in to the spark plug hole and so on. im just finding it a bit difficult.
any help would be appreciated.

Not_An_Abba_Fan

Exhaust Guru
Reaction score
Members Ride
Strange Rover
You can get a plug adapter with a valve on it. You screw it into the spark plug hole and pump air into the cylinder, this keeps the valve seated and stops it from dropping down when you remove the spring. A spring compressing tool that bolts to the rocker post is also needed. I have seen it done with a screw driver and ring spanner but if it slips you are in for some pain.

VN_Luke

ƃuoɹʍ ʇsnɾ sı sıɥʇ
Reaction score
Members Ride
Get in the ute
this works on the v6 - not sure if it would work on the v8 as well (but I dont' see why not) i.e. the valves shouldn't be able to drop in if the cylinder is at TDC (ignore this post if they can)

- remove rocker covers and spark plugs
- pick a piston (work on one piston at a time)
- put a straw or something else nice and soft down the spark plug hole
- turn the engine by hand until the piston reaches the TDC (i.e the highest point it can, before it starts coming down again)
- compress spring, remove "valve retainery thinggies" with a magnet, try holding the valve up with your fingers so it doesn't drop, just in case (you can check by hand to see if it will drop in or not).. if it' doesn't well then you're laughing and just repeat procedure for the rest of em :)

stocky

Reaction score
Members Ride
1995 HSV Clubsport T5, 1991 VN Berlina
does the v8 sit further back than a v6? when changing the springs on mine, the rear cylinders sucked trying to fit a compressor in there

stocky

Reaction score
Members Ride
yeah i had the same problem with the v6. barely managed to fit the compressor in between the brake booster, and when i did, it wasnt very steady. could only imagine it being a lot harder on a v8

Reaction score
Members Ride
VN SS 5.0
well iv got a compressor and a over head valve spring compressor so do you think using a magnet would be the best and easiest way to remove those little retainer lock thingies you where talking about? you are talking about the little half circle things on it right? lol.
would there be any other way of taking them out?

stocky

Reaction score
Members Ride
i didnt use a magnet. as the spring compressed, i just got them out with a small flat head screwdriver