Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Holden Oil Viscosity Recommendation W407

greenacc

Searching for the billion
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Berlina
Holden have to warranty whatever oil they put in it. They chose the oil not you.
I'd love to hear them say oh your engine has failed due to us putting the wrong oil in it so there's no warranty on that LOL!
Do you drive it hard enough to need the thick oil?

SuckSqueezeBangBlow

Reaction score
Members Ride
Heroin White VF2 SS Wagon
Lots of zinc in Mobil 1 0w40

426Cuda

SUBLIME!
Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Redline Sedan - A6 Spitfire MSE...
Thanks for the replies guys....

Must admit i was a bit worried too, spent most of last night and today reading as much info as possible on oil viscosity for our LS3 engines.
The Walky dealer and the Holden service department both agree on using this Oil with Perth temps, and the fact my engine is no longer stock.

I suppose my insurance is that Holden recommend it, plus the guys at Formula tech build and race LS engines..
Sounds a bit sus to me man. Are they masking some potential issue with the cam or lifters used in the W407. But, at the risk of your engine?
I'd fit, or get a mechanic to fit an oil pressure gauge and test how long it takes to reach good pressure. Maybe OBD can give you this data?
Engines are most at risk of wear when cold. Thick oil doesn't help...
Remember too, those race LS's will be built for that application, which doesn't include doing 500,000k's between builds.
As others have said mate, I'd get that honey thick stuff out and go back to a GM approved oil like Penrite 5w40.

Mavericks Choice

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF2 SSV M6, VF2 LS3 Calais V, VZ 6L M6 Crewie
To the Op, don't sound right to me!

revster

Reaction score
Members Ride
30th Anniversary HSV Senator (Gone) MY19 Golf R
I always used Penrite ten tenths 5W-50 (lots of zinc) with no drama after fitting the blower. Isn't the 5W meant to allow the oil to flow better when cold and the 50 to help when hot? I thought that was the point.

greenacc

Searching for the billion
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Berlina
5W flows better for sure but has lower film strength than a 10W or 20W so in a highly stressed engine the 5W will not protect as well as a 10 or 20 so it all depends how much load there really is on the engine.
If you drive the 407 like grandma you won't need a 20w60 oil but if your constantly burning rubber thats diffferent.