Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Holden Prices, are they too high?

Tugin8tor

Reaction score
Members Ride
2004 CV8-R Series 3
Hey everyone, I’m curious as to what people think about the current prices for the VZ range mostly, I’ve been looking to buy a VZ SS MY06 for about 2 years now and they seem a bit high to me, frankly all the Holden prices seem too high but anyway, does anyone think that prices will go down anytime soon or what?

I was looking to buy one with 160xxxk on the clock, converted to manual, aftermarket sunroof, custom interior, 20” wheels, rebuilt L76 done 20,000kms ago with a lumpy cam, 450hp at wheels. Just a standard T56 box unknown kms. Has been wrapped with supposed fresh respray under wrap. They want 36k, does seem like too much and would it be worth it? Given with all that work it’s probably had 20-25k worth done.

Cheers guys

krusing

Well-Known Member, Possibly for the wrong reasons
Reaction score
Members Ride
2002 VY L67 Calais Sedan, 2012 VE L77 Calais Wagon
In reality, You have to wonder !
Why would you wrap it if it’s been re-sprayed?
Hiding something under the camouflage wrap ?,
Stolen ?,
Definitely not worth 36k,
Even with all the work done,
At the most, possibly worth $22k > $26k, in good condition
And that is being generous.

You never get your money back on mods,
If you think you do, your dreaming,
it’s usually only 50% of it, and that is someone willing to pay the asking price.

J_D 2.0

Reaction score
Members Ride
2009 VE SSV M6 on LPG and 2022 Kawasaki Z650L
Hey everyone, I’m curious as to what people think about the current prices for the VZ range mostly, I’ve been looking to buy a VZ SS MY06 for about 2 years now and they seem a bit high to me, frankly all the Holden prices seem too high but anyway, does anyone think that prices will go down anytime soon or what?

I was looking to buy one with 160xxxk on the clock, converted to manual, aftermarket sunroof, custom interior, 20” wheels, rebuilt L76 done 20,000kms ago with a lumpy cam, 450hp at wheels. Just a standard T56 box unknown kms. Has been wrapped with supposed fresh respray under wrap. They want 36k, does seem like too much and would it be worth it? Given with all that work it’s probably had 20-25k worth done.

Cheers guys

Holden prices are probably always going to remain high for the V8 models. I remember before Holden announced its closure you could get SS Commodores or utes for around $5-8k every day of the week. Now you’re looking at around $15k for those vehicles.

If you want a cheap way into a V8 then look at Statesmans and Caprices (if your willing to live with an auto), which can still be had for below $10k. Now that Holden is gone and the amount of V8s on the road is only going down people who want a V8 will be chasing fewer and fewer cars.

Realistically I don’t see the market price for SS Commodores in relatively good shape falling below about $10k and that’s still for high mileage vehicles (200-300 thousand kms). Low mileage vehicles will command more of course.

vc commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC, VH and VY
Like everything...You pay what you're willing to pay for it....Not what the seller is commanding..

The car you're referring to, for me personally raises a big red flag, having an alledged fresh paint job and then a wrap over it....Don't know anyone that'd drop $15K (give or take) on fresh paint, then drop another few K to cover it up...

Another red flag is, a car that has done 160,000, with 20,000 on a new motor..Had the shite flogged out of it...These motors last over 400,000 if they are looked after..

That car to me is a $5K car.....And I know people would say I'm dreaming saying that price, but considering just the 2 points posted up, you have to wonder what other little surprises it has

If you are willing to drive round and not just stick your head on the net, wait patiently the right car for the right price does crop up....

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
Wow $36k, you could a VE Redline for that. Low $20's is probably still too much. Keep looking.

shane_3800

Reaction score
Members Ride
vr commo
I remember like 6 or so years ago, the Supra club colluded and stuck their Supras up for sale at ridiculous prices.
There was a lot of talk about it at the time, then others got that in their head, before long everyone was putting stupid prices on their cars.
Now we have an over inflated market.

hjtrbo

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
FG XR6T / HJ Ute / VF2 R8
She's a good candidate for suspicion that the odo is rolled back.

Tugin8tor

Reaction score
Members Ride
2004 CV8-R Series 3
Cheers for the response guys, It seems they aren't going to go down too much i guess, theres a lot of dreamers out there currently though, very rare trying to find one in decent condition with lowish kms for a fair pirce. I think it was wrapped because they've gone with a color combo of grey / yellow and blacked out badges. I dont think theres anything suss about the car personally, It presents nice, am yet to go look at it but ye, its sad i cant find anything decent for a fair pirce :( sucks balls haha

heres the link for the car i was looking at anyway, https://www.carsales.com.au/cars/de...dore-ss-vz-manual-my06/SSE-AD-16031489/?Cr=18

krusing

Well-Known Member, Possibly for the wrong reasons
Reaction score
Members Ride
2002 VY L67 Calais Sedan, 2012 VE L77 Calais Wagon

keith reed

Reaction score
Members Ride
1983 vh v8 sle 2000 vs v8 ute 2012 ve11 redline
No. no, no. You people have got it all wrong. Holdens are still far to cheap. $80,000 sounds about right for my vh. 26 years of love and attention must be worth a lot.