Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Holden Prices, are they too high?

J_D 2.0

Reaction score
Members Ride
2009 VE SSV M6 on LPG and 2022 Kawasaki Z650L
Cheers for the response guys, It seems they aren't going to go down too much i guess, theres a lot of dreamers out there currently though, very rare trying to find one in decent condition with lowish kms for a fair pirce. I think it was wrapped because they've gone with a color combo of grey / yellow and blacked out badges. I dont think theres anything suss about the car personally, It presents nice, am yet to go look at it but ye, its sad i cant find anything decent for a fair pirce :( sucks balls haha

heres the link for the car i was looking at anyway, https://www.carsales.com.au/cars/de...dore-ss-vz-manual-my06/SSE-AD-16031489/?Cr=18

Thing is that finding a low mileage example would be quite difficult now. Most of the VZs are getting on for 20 years old now so average mileage on the last of the VZs would be around 250,000kms.

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
I wouldn't bother looking for a low KM VZ. Just buy one that's in good condition and a reasonable price which will be around $19k-$21k. If they are all $30k plus in your neck of the woods start looking further afield. I've kinda stopped watching car prices over the last 4-5 months, but in saying that I'm doubtful they have jumped $15k in the last six months, especially since over the last 12 months prices have come down, because are people no longer deluded by Covid Tax.

figjam

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
FJ
After today's announcement by Chris Bowen, Fed Minstrel for Moonbeams, that Australia will be adopting low emission vehicle legislation, and by 2028 it will be a saving of $1000 per vehicle for us to spend on other stuff.

I don't want to trade my reliable old Holdens (and Ford) on a planet saving, computerised ADAS controlled nightmare costing in excess 0f $60K to save $1000.
Thoughts of the 1970s fuel crisis crossed my mind, when all the Kingswoods and Falcons were sold to buy Corollas , to save 10MPG .

Aussie built cars will decline in numbers, but the prices will stay high for the foreseeable future, as drivers realise that EVs and ADAS will not save the planet, or them.
The rebellion is coming.

Tugin8tor

Reaction score
Members Ride
2004 CV8-R Series 3
In reality, You have to wonder !
Why would you wrap it if it’s been re-sprayed?
Hiding something under the camouflage wrap ?,
Stolen ?,
Definitely not worth 36k,
Even with all the work done,
At the most, possibly worth $22k > $26k, in good condition
And that is being generous.

You never get your money back on mods,
If you think you do, your dreaming,
it’s usually only 50% of it, and that is someone willing to pay the asking price.
Did ya have a look at the link I put in a comment?

Tugin8tor

Reaction score
Members Ride
2004 CV8-R Series 3
Thing is that finding a low mileage example would be quite difficult now. Most of the VZs are getting on for 20 years old now so average mileage on the last of the VZs would be around 250,000kms.
Ye thats kinda why im not sure what to do haha, might not be worth 36k but everything else on the market is stock and in worse condition and people are asking 25k on avg for anything with around 160-190kms on it. Not really interested in the ls1's either, mainly after a 6l

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
Buy a VE SS, they are leaps ahead of the VZ and there is still plenty of parts available. VZ parts are becoming very hard to find and some parts are made of unobtanium, especially for the 6L.

07GTS

Reaction score
Members Ride
VEGTS BUILT BLOWN E85
weren't there VE HSV's going for the 36k mark a while back

Tugin8tor

Reaction score
Members Ride
2004 CV8-R Series 3
Buy a VE SS, they are leaps ahead of the VZ and there is still plenty of parts available. VZ parts are becoming very hard to find and some parts are made of unobtanium, especially for the 6L.
Not a fan of the VE and VF :( Look alright on the outside but the interior makes me wanna hurl haha but I guess I can change it besides most of it besides the dash without too much of a cost. Hmm decisions decisions, It does seem the VZs are way over priced and have been for about 2-3 years now, its crazy

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
weren't there VE HSV's going for the 36k mark a while back
Yep I saw two, given they were the lower spec Clubbie's but they were still HSV. A decent VE SS can be bought for $22k, so dropping $36k on a VZ 6L that could end up in a world of pain, if the throttle pedal fails, because last I knew there was no option so you're stranded. I know what direction I'd take.

Tugin8tor

Reaction score
Members Ride
2004 CV8-R Series 3
Yep I saw two, given they were the lower spec Clubbie's but they were still HSV. A decent VE SS can be bought for $22k, so dropping $36k on a VZ 6L that could end up in a world of pain, if the throttle pedal fails, because last I knew there was no option so you're stranded. I know what direction I'd take.
Ye thats a good point, ive actually got a spare set of pedals in my garage haha, seen em ebay for 3k recently lol, but ye parts like that are rare as hell for the VZs, very expensive too, facia trims all that **** in good condition very rare to find as well