Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

How to change the battery in the key remote?

GenReaper

Donating Member
Reaction score
Website
www.AusHeli.com
Members Ride
VY SS Series II Wagon
Well to rephrase what i said it will still work with a flat battery but if you take it out thats another story.

tyrone

Reaction score
Members Ride
WH caprice , 2010 Holden CDX Cruze
in my opinion get a new key coded then go for it pull it apart if you can change the battery and it does in fact work you will have yourself a spare key if not well then your no worse off than you were

vy_storm

just another moderator...
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.users.on.net
Members Ride
VE Calais V 6L
the batterys are spot welded in for a reason . do not disconect them !!! this will drops the program out of the key . then you are up for alot more to make a new one . when the buttons go on the key get a new one . dont wait as when the battery goes flat it wont start your car and if you dont have a spare then you need a mobile locksmith and a whole lota cash to get your car started !!! get a spare key !!!

The reason batteries are spot welded is because soldering tends to make them overheat and explode! Very hard to solder tabs or wires to a large heatsinking surface.

Super_Low 91

┌∩┐(◕_◕)┌∩┐
Reaction score
Members Ride
1993 VR
The battery is not just for the remote it powers the circuit bored that contains the code needed to start the car, if they battery is flat to the point were the buttons no longer work but it still starts the car that just means there is a lil bit of charge left in the battery but eventually when the battery complety goes flat then that's it car wont start at all (unless you have a spare 45ish minutes).

As i said in another thread, i deal with customers every day complaining that they now have to go to Holden an get all there codes an such info because they decided to pull the key apart an have a go at fitting a new battery. Its just not worth doing it, save yourself from going through all the hassle an just do it properly the first time an get a new remote.

Mister Minit has some fairly competitive deals when it come to Holden remotes just ask em.

VY04Calais

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY s2 Supercharged Calais
just unscrew the key crack it open. change the battery. use some good quick dry glue. screw it back together and your in business. done this twice.

AlienSexGod

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX series II SS wagon
Man these Key cutter guys are scammers ... the concept of internet forums is to learn how to DiY

Go to Jaycar you can buy the correct battery with the spot welds on it, sold it in bingo good for another 5-7 years. Dropping it's memory would only happen if you left it with no power for many hours. Desolder old battery(has some current left) resolder new... easy ... $60-100 a pop fluck me the batter is $2.30 @ Jaycar.com.au

yeeros

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Executive 3.8
i noticed a few times that when the battery went flat, i had to manually unlock the car (alarm goes off unfortunately) start it up, then drive around for a while and the key would be back to normal.....

TMM

OEM+
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Berlina S2
Even if you are successful in replacing the battery, the case is glued/moulded together so you will damage it (rough edges, tool marks) by opening it. If you are anal like me, just get a whole new key head. The rubber buttons tend to fail (split/crack) around the same time as the battery too, and although you can get silicon replacement buttons, it just isn't the same.

Cost me less then $100 to get a new head and key cut (only 1 key came with my car) by a mobile locksmith.

I was told the car would still start with a flat key battery as the battery is only there for the remote. The battery is available with the welded on tabs from Jay Car I think and you can resolder one on and give it a go, there only a few dollars.
I think if it is truely flat then it stops working altogether. My mate had a key for his VT that died and couldn't disarm the immobilizer.

wortus

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Series 2 25th Anniversary in Phantom Mica
Even if you are successful in replacing the battery, the case is glued/moulded together so you will damage it (rough edges, tool marks) by opening it. If you are anal like me, just get a whole new key head. The rubber buttons tend to fail (split/crack) around the same time as the battery too, and although you can get silicon replacement buttons, it just isn't the same.

There are replacement after markt shells on ebay now days for about $10.00

Richard Moss

Reaction score
Members Ride
Chevrolet Lumina Coupe S (Monaro CV6)
There are replacement after markt shells on ebay now days for about $10.00
I bought a pair and they seem to be OK. It was just to replace lost buttons, not flat batteries, though.