Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

How to change the battery in the key remote?

Kaitlin

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Calais L67
Holden get their local lock smiths to do the keys, that's why they jack the price up... The locksmiths do it for around $80-$100 and then Holden up the price... My mums a locksmith and this is what happens at her work. Cut Holden out and go straight to a locksmith. It's exactly the same product :):):)

RiCeY

F O R U M W A R R I O R
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SV8 6spd 6.0 430rwhp
Holden get their local lock smiths to do the keys, that's why they jack the price up... The locksmiths do it for around $80-$100 and then Holden up the price... My mums a locksmith and this is what happens at her work. Cut Holden out and go straight to a locksmith. It's exactly the same product :):):)

Uhh no they dont. The key blade is removeable so no cutting is required and the keys are easily programmed with Tech2.

Why would they pay a locksmith for something they can do themselves for free?

Super_Low 91

┌∩┐(◕_◕)┌∩┐
Reaction score
Members Ride
1993 VR
If they wanted a whole new key then yes they do go to a locksmith to get the new blade cut, then Holden program it with Tech2

gunsmoke

Gunsmoke
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SS & VZ Exec
Does all this info apply also to 2004 VZ exec please. The key head has 2 screws that seem to be able to come undone.
Unfortunately I have let the battery go dead flat for 2 months now too.

gunsmoke

Gunsmoke
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SS & VZ Exec
Anyone got any idea please.

uniacidz

Harden the Frak Up
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Berlina
Easy to do

Check my build thread in signature.

Prob have to replace the keyshell. All up should cost under 15 bucks

Sent from my HTC Liberty

Glenn1972

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY one tonner/ wagon
Change them yourself !!! Very easy and cheap, under $4.00 infact !

1. Order battery CR2032FH2 (Has solder tabs already installed) from batteriesdirect.com.au
2. carefully pry open case along seam, i use a razor blade or similar fine edge tool.
3. have camera ready and take notes and pics of placement of seal, contact probe, battery polarity exactly how it comes apart (there is a up side to the seal also!)
4. note where solder tabs protude through circuit board, De-solder those tabs only and remove battery.
5. fit new battery (remember polarity + -)... solder in place and re-assemble in reverse order ! Way toooooooo easy hey :)
6. Carefully glue case together (Dont use superglue !!! PVA wood glue works best "Exterior") clamp case and leave overnight And yes... i said PVA wood glue !

You do require a fine tip soldering iron, vacume desolder or solder braid... JayCar, Tandy etc have these and will give you basic tips on there use

Good for 10-15 years again :)

Greasy Hands

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Members Ride
YV II Acclaim, non daily.
I've rebuilt both my keys for the hell of it.

New batteries, i spot welded the tags on my self as i have the tool and soldered in all new tact switches and finished off with the replacement housings with included buttons.

Both look and work as new and the range is epic.

reffie

Reaction score
Members Ride
'98 VT Commodore - Stock no Mods
Change them yourself !!! Very easy and cheap, under $4.00 infact !

1. Order battery CR2032FH2 (Has solder tabs already installed) from batteriesdirect.com.au
2. carefully pry open case along seam, i use a razor blade or similar fine edge tool.
3. have camera ready and take notes and pics of placement of seal, contact probe, battery polarity exactly how it comes apart (there is a up side to the seal also!)
4. note where solder tabs protude through circuit board, De-solder those tabs only and remove battery.
5. fit new battery (remember polarity + -)... solder in place and re-assemble in reverse order ! Way toooooooo easy hey :)
6. Carefully glue case together (Dont use superglue !!! PVA wood glue works best "Exterior") clamp case and leave overnight And yes... i said PVA wood glue !

You do require a fine tip soldering iron, vacume desolder or solder braid... JayCar, Tandy etc have these and will give you basic tips on there use

Good for 10-15 years again :)

Hey Cheers for the link to BATTERIES DIRECT, Glenn! $2 each (so I got 10)....they only other ones I could find in Australia were $7.99! Hard little suckers to find.
$5 for VT key head...little switch-a-roo with old key, new battery & PCB...I'd only charge $20 to do that! :OP
HAVE A GO....SAVE SOME DOUGH!!
Thanks Glenn