Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

[General] HOW TO: Wire up spot lights (VX, VY, VZ and possibly other models)

sixes

UTEPILOT
Reaction score
Website
www.utepilot.com
Members Ride
VY SS II M6 Ute
Check the pinouts on your relay (packet should have come with at least a description) as your setup has wires around the wrong allowing constant power to the bar

ETALONMAX

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ commodore
I ordered mine from eBay for cheap and there is no instructions, asked on eBay for instructions but no response

I tried to use your diagram but apparently I have more cables: totally I have 2 positive and 2 negative cables

I don’t think there is any power when car is off, because I can hear relay is working when I click on button to turn it on

ETALONMAX

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ commodore
D898CEC9-BA61-4936-B4C4-E1A2B1FFFA4A.jpeg So this is my wiring I’ve got from eBay but I have only one positive and one negative for my light bar

sixes

UTEPILOT
Reaction score
Website
www.utepilot.com
Members Ride
VY SS II M6 Ute
Failing that, buy a relay from your local auto parts supplier and go from there. The negatives are not used as an earth as such and is why the light is triggered the way it is for you at the moment.

If you have a little bit of an idea on electronics, you can pop the cover of the relay off see inside. Can check where the relay coil is triggered from and where power outputs are going

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
If you haven't figured it out by tomorrow eve I will have a look at mine when I get home and see if I can point you in the right direction. It's pretty simple once you work it out. If you have constant power I think you have the positive going to the light bar on the wrong post. It sounds to me like you have a relay with two positives, one is constant power the other is switched by the trigger. You need to remove the constant power one. If you have two positives on the light bar join them and use the positive that is on the trigger. Completely forget the constant power on the relay. I know this because my relay has two positives.

ETALONMAX

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ commodore
If you haven't figured it out by tomorrow eve I will have a look at mine when I get home and see if I can point you in the right direction. It's pretty simple once you work it out. If you have constant power I think you have the positive going to the light bar on the wrong post. It sounds to me like you have a relay with two positives, one is constant power the other is switched by the trigger. You need to remove the constant power one. If you have two positives on the light bar join them and use the positive that is on the trigger. Completely forget the constant power on the relay. I know this because my relay has two positives.

Oh well, I’ll photo my relay tomorrow to show you

Light bar has red and black wire that go to relay

Last edited:

ETALONMAX

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ commodore
08E69156-FC09-4C1D-B3B6-DA55373AEAB9.jpeg Here is my harness set
Red and black cables from white adapter are currently connected to black n white and to green cable of headlight plug

ETALONMAX

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ commodore
DFC2712B-934D-4A43-9893-EC1F0802984B.png
This is what I received from eBay seller.

Does it mean I have to connect black earth from relay and black earth from switch adaptor to headlight leads? And red positive ones just to positive on battery so the circuit can get closed, or I’m wrong )

Last edited:

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
Take a photo of your relay with the cables attached. It will be easier to see where you have gone wrong then. Put the screw tab/bracket at the bottom, with the posts clearly in the photo so we know we have the configuration the right way.

axemurderer101

Reaction score
Website
forums.justcommodores.com.au
Members Ride
VY SS
Ok i will try to explain, your harness will only work with a positive switched headlight and the commodore is negative switched. To make it easy you will have to buy an extra standard relay. Now chop the red and black wires from the adaptor, with some crimp terminals the black wire on the headlight side will run to pin 85 and the red wire will run to pin 86 you will also need to link pin 86 to pin 30 with a short bit of wire. Next the red wire from the switch side will need to run to pin 87 of the relay and the black wire will need to be earthed to the car body. As long as you have joined into the correct wires at the headlight this should work.