Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

I don't know?.

Pollushon

Boost gives me a bar....
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS
You can load test it yourself to an extent. Multimeter while you crank. If it drops below 10v you have a problem. Just had this on the ex wife's Mazda. Battery seemed fine static at 12.8, led me up the garden path but then we noticed on crank it dropped to 4v. Cactus....

Last edited:

VS 5.0

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV Z Series M6
Kind of like that lazy person at work that looks like they do something but it’s all a bit hard if it comes to actually doing some work.

No need to bring Scomo into this.

AL73NT

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Omega S1
Skylarking thank you.

Most of that went over my head but gonna learn, the original spark plugs that were in the car one had cracked ceramic and the other 5 were very bad looking. The ones I put in were wrong but same length now the correct ones are fitted...will check spark.

The original battery was 850CCA and the one my friend gave me is 650 and both I put on charge but I take it from what you and others are saying is they can read 12 odd volts but still be no good?, time to buy brand new.

It is low on fuel but hard to carry petrol can on my ZX10R... :), workshop manual is on its way. Mum says sell it and that I'm spending to much time and money on it with no results but I'm not gonna give up yet.

AL73NT.

Last edited by a moderator:

AL73NT

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Omega S1
You can load test it yourself to an extent. Multimeter while you crank. If it drops below 10v you have a problem. Just had this on the ex wife's Mazda. Battery seemed fine static at 12.8, led me up the garden path but then we noticed on crank it dropped to 4v. Cactus....
Yes I read that yesterday on an post thank you for reminding me.

AL73NT

Last edited by a moderator:

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore Motorsport Edition
It is low on fuel but hard to carry petrol can on my ZX10R... :)
1638226562762.jpeg

”hard to” is just a lack of imagination :p:p:p Heck the guy in the pic can even send sms while carrying lots of stuff :oops::oops:

the original spark plugs that were in the car one had cracked ceramic and the other 5 were very bad looking. The ones I put in were wrong but same length now the correct ones are fitted...will check spark.
OK, when you mentioned broken, i assumed broken off and missing… hense a need to look inside the cylinder…

Still, inspecting the condition of the cylinder may be a good idea but much less of an critical issue if nothing fell off the spark plug itself. Just do a compression test as that gives you an idea of engine condition…

As to batteries, they can be a real pain and have you thinking all is ok when that’s not the case, so best to just get them load tested as open circuit voltage can be very misleading of battery condition as already mentioned by others.

Me, I‘ve always been of the view that the biggest CCA and Ah battery one could fit in their car was better than a small anaemic and cheap battery the manufacturer installed. And that view was from way back when old cars had little to no electronics or smarts… With today’s high electrical load vehicles, higher capacity batteries are even more important…

Just remember that the car had problems the previous owner couldn’t fix or couldn’t afford to fix, which is probably why it was sold… So don’t spend more than the car is worth as you’ll overcapitalise.

If it’s just a thing that you want to learn on, keep a budget in mind. Unfortunately learning about cars can be difficult to do unless you have someone knowledgeable to guide you. It can also be a very expensive excessive. And friends who love spending your money may not be the knowledgeable guidance you need, so keep reality and the vehicles commercial value in perspective…

Last edited:

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore Motorsport Edition
Just tell your mum that its better then spending ... time with the wrong type of people.
Too late... have you read some of the thread on this site :eek::p:p:p

AL73NT

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Omega S1
View attachment 230125

”hard to” is just a lack of imagination :p:p:p Heck the guy in the pic can even send sms while carrying lots of stuff :oops::oops:

OK, when you mentioned broken, i assumed broken off and missing… hense a need to look inside the cylinder…

Still, inspecting the condition of the cylinder may be a good idea but much less of an critical issue if nothing fell off the spark plug itself. Just do a compression test as that gives you an idea of engine condition…

As to batteries, they can be a real pain and have you thinking all is ok when that’s not the case, so best to just get them load tested as open circuit voltage can be very misleading of battery condition as already mentioned by others.

Me, I‘ve always been of the view that the biggest CCA and Ah battery one could fit in their car was better than a small anaemic and cheap battery the manufacturer installed. And that view was from way back when old cars had little to no electronics or smarts… With today’s high electrical load vehicles, higher capacity batteries are even more important…

Just remember that the car had problems the previous owner couldn’t fix or couldn’t afford to fix, which is probably why it was sold… So don’t spend more than the car is worth as you’ll overcapitalise.

If it’s just a thing that you want to learn on, keep a budget in mind. Unfortunately learning about cars can be difficult to do unless you have someone knowledgeable to guide you. It can also be a very expensive excessive. And friends who love spending your money may not be the knowledgeable guidance you need, so keep reality and the vehicles commercial value in perspective…
Thank you for the advise, I must admit that most of the items I buy for the car can also useful with my bike. This Friday I will buy a new battery and code reader but, will only spend what I can.

Yesterday afternoon while I was checking the battery I noticed a noise from the engine...high pitch whistle and something opening or closing after I took the key out, what ever it is shuts or opens with a judder ?? best way I can describe it.

When I put the key in my bike I hear the fuel pump could this be the same thing??, If you don't know the best way to learn is to ask people who know you guys can tell me a lot more that a book and for that I thank you guys, well my dad used to say that.

AL73NT.

Fu Manchu

We’ll get together. Have a few laughs.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Crewman, VZ Cross 8, & ya mum.
That noise is normal. When the ECM shuts the system down, it will recalibrate the throttle as part of the process.