Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Bawwx

Reaction score
Members Ride
Skidpig
You convert the M80 to fit the tailshaft, you don't change anything on the tailshaft. You undo the big nut in the 4 bolt flange and bolt the 3 bolt one from your old diff in. Others will chime in about if this will effect the backlash or the preload.

Do you know what model this diff came from?

the M80 came from a VY SS, it seems a little bit more complicated than just swapping the bolts out. My old diff is the M78 so don’t exactly have the”old” 3 bolt.

_R_J_K_

Reaction score
Members Ride
Zenki S14
My old diff is the M78 so don’t exactly have the”old” 3 bolt.

You bolt the M78 flange onto the M80. Or get another tailshaft with the flange to match like EYY said.

You got pictures? Maybe it will be easier to explain that way.

_R_J_K_

Reaction score
Members Ride
Zenki S14
the M80 came from a VY SS

Re-reading this thread, you shouldn't have to change anything. All the VXs and VYs used the 3 bolt diff flanges with the rubber donuts, and there is no 4 bolt donut so I'm not sure what you're seeing.

Bawwx

Reaction score
Members Ride
Skidpig
Is the M78 in a VX V6 28 spline or 31 spline? Decided to just get the M78 TruTrac instead of messing around with converting the M80.

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
Factory diffs are 28 spline.

Bawwx

Reaction score
Members Ride
Skidpig
So i just inquired about the Harrop Truetrac M78 28 spline LSD and the bloke said it has to be a live axle, where as the VX is IRS. Do Harrop Truetracs still fit with the IRS?

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
The IRS centre has an extra groove inside the spline to retain the output shaft hub. IF the groove isn't there than it won't work properly as the hub can float in and out.

Bawwx

Reaction score
Members Ride
Skidpig
Thanks for the reply. So what is the best brand option for an M78 LSD centre with IRS?

_R_J_K_

Reaction score
Members Ride
Zenki S14
So i just inquired about the Harrop Truetrac M78 28 spline LSD and the bloke said it has to be a live axle, where as the VX is IRS. Do Harrop Truetracs still fit with the IRS?

Did you ask Harrop?

Seriously though, just get under the car and look at what flange you have, then just look for an M80 with the same flange.