Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Johnno2

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SV6 S1
Hi all, I have a quick question about my 2013 VF (SV6 Commodore, Automatic) I brought it about a year ago and it came with an aftermarket key that didn't have the remote start function on it my question Is Should it? I've done a little bit of research according to one google article all Automatic Vf's came with Remote start and in my radio settings it is listed as a menu item but when you enter the menu it's not listed. Is there any chance that whoever Recoded the new Key to the car they Disabled Remote start either because they didn't have the right remote or did it just not come with it? I've rung a few different service centers but all have given me different answers.

Many thanks if you can answer this

stooge

Reaction score
Members Ride
Turbo Alpaca
Yes the autos all have it.
You press the lock button then press and hold the circle button until it starts.

The aftermarket key might not have the functionality so you might need a genuine key or an aftermarket one with the functionality.

stooge

Reaction score
Members Ride
Turbo Alpaca
This is they type of key that has remote start, its that circle button on the bottom right that you are looking for

Johnno2

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SV6 S1
Yes the autos all have it.
You press the lock button then press and hold the circle button until it starts.

The aftermarket key might not have the functionality so you might need a genuine key or an aftermarket one with the functionality.
Ahh thank you for confirming that for me, I just wanted to know before I went out and brought the correct key

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore Motorsport Edition
in my radio settings it is listed as a menu item but when you enter the menu it's not listed. Is there any chance that whoever Recoded the new Key to the car they Disabled Remote start either because they didn't have the right remote or did it just not come with it?
I doubt any after market key provider would require reprogram the VF MyLink system to remove any MyLink setup menu associated with a missing button feature but you never know…

Just a guess, but it may be that the GM put enough smarts into the vehicle key system that when a key is programmed to the car, the car determines the key’s capabilities automagically during the programming process. So if some feature isn’t available because the button isn’t included on that fob, the key system passivities any Mylink menu settings item associated with that missing feature., maybe…

But aftermarket keys often have their identity cloned from the old key and not programmed into the vehicle as such...

Who knows whether you key was cloned or programmed, can it even be determined?

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
No mention of a MyLing setting item for remote start in the video below (and I can’t remember if I’ve ever seen one in my VF)..

Last edited:

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
Not meaning to hijack your thread but I want the below MyLink in my VF as Id find it much. Ore useful than remote start… but sadly such upgrades seem to be a no go…

It‘s not even clear which car the video below is shot in, ZB maybe?

Wonder whether @TazzI at Envyous Customs has revisited such upgrades for our VF’s.

stooge

Reaction score
Members Ride
Turbo Alpaca
Not meaning to hijack your thread but I want the below MyLink in my VF as Id find it much. Ore useful than remote start… but sadly such upgrades seem to be a no go…

It‘s not even clear which car the video below is shot in, ZB maybe?

Wonder whether @TazzI at Envyous Customs has revisited such upgrades for our VF’s.
thats the hmi found in the last line of holdens like the zb, colorado, acadia etc.

it has different dash styling in each vehicle but the actual hmi box is pretty much the same and tazzl was working on retrofitting it from the colorado but there were some issues with button communication if i remember right.
best thing about that hmi is it has AA and CP and with AAWireless added it makes it a perfect solution(for me anyway lol)

i think she is sitting in the acadia.

Last edited:

Forg

Reaction score
Members Ride
Regal Peackock VF SS-V Redline Wagoon
^ I hope she was paid a lot then poor thing!

• Haha
Reactions: Lex

mpower

Reaction score
Members Ride
V2 CV8 Monaro and VF SSV Redline
Hi all, I have a quick question about my 2013 VF (SV6 Commodore, Automatic) I brought it about a year ago and it came with an aftermarket key that didn't have the remote start function on it my question Is Should it? I've done a little bit of research according to one google article all Automatic Vf's came with Remote start and in my radio settings it is listed as a menu item but when you enter the menu it's not listed. Is there any chance that whoever Recoded the new Key to the car they Disabled Remote start either because they didn't have the right remote or did it just not come with it? I've rung a few different service centers but all have given me different answers.

Many thanks if you can answer this

while you are shopping i'd also recommend the auto window dongle you can get from ebay. It fits to your ODB port and unlocks auto windows.

the windows will automatically close after the car locks and can be opened and closed from the remote. pretty cool for a few bucks.

this looks like it - but I can't be sure I don't have it in my ebay history anymore (says Cruze but it's the same thing). Someone on the forums linked to it a few years back and yeah bloody handy little thing.

Remote start is definitely good on the hot days, press lock, hold circly button and off it goes. Have you played with the self parking? That's a nice party trick :)

Last edited: