Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Legality of Lowering Car (and Camber) on Red Ps in NSW?

Involcano

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Calais V (V6)
Hi everyone, I want to lower my car around 25 - 30mm+ (or as low as legally possible) on coilovers, but I'm on my red Ps and I don't know if this is going to get me booked purely because I'm a P plater. I've read that no modifications to suspension are allowed whatsoever, but I see so many red P platers driving lowered Commodores anyway that I'm not sure if I'm reading outdated legislation or people just get away with it. Assuming I stay within the legal ride height, is it ok to do it on red Ps?

Another question, how legal is extreme camber? I haven't fully decided on it yet, but I might put around -7ish degrees of camber on my front wheels to achieve a drift stance look. Obviously this isn't great for traction and tire wear so I'm assuming it's pretty illegal. (Plus the majority of people think it looks stupid, but that's a whole other can of worms.)

Thanks for any help :)

Last edited:

Ginger Beer

Reaction score
Members Ride
Dunnydoore
I hope this is a troll

If not, then just lower it to legal specs, then, you will need to get a sensible wheel alignment

You do realise that your front tyres contact patch is what stops your car during braking

Running 7° camber would be like running space saver rims and tyres = massively reduced traction during braking, just like cars with big camber on the rear gives no traction when accelerating

It just looks like some poor person who doesn't know whst they are doing has cut their springs, or put in SSSSSL spring for the invisible caravan look

Nope, no good will come of it, people will laugh, I know it would give me a good laugh

7° camber, hell, I'm laughing now

Next people will want to run 7° positive camber, to look like a lifted 4x4 Baja racer

someguy360

Reaction score
Members Ride
Various
I really hope this is a joke post.

Putting wanker camber on your car is an easy way to get pulled over and defected.

Even if the suspension is legal which it probably isn't as the police would probably define that as a performance modification which P platers aren't allowed. Purposely making your car unsafe by removing half the tyres tread from the road with pointless camber is going to get their attention mighty quick.

It would also invalidate your insurance if you got caught as you have severely impacted the cars ability to pull up/handle in an emergency.

Last edited:

figjam

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
FJ
Red P plate, lowered Commodore, mad negative camber + blast pipes out the back.
Just ad a sign on the back window "All Highway Patrol coppers are idiots" to get their attention better.

Take some advice from old farts who have been there, done that, back when rules were not so stringent. Just add wasted $$$, long hair, tight shirts and flared jeans to complete the picture.
Wait until you are on a full license before doing mad mods. By then you may have have changed your mind about what you think is so cool now.
( Or is 'cool' an old farts expression )

Involcano

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Calais V (V6)
I hope this is a troll

If not, then just lower it to legal specs, then, you will need to get a sensible wheel alignment

You do realise that your front tyres contact patch is what stops your car during braking

Running 7° camber would be like running space saver rims and tyres = massively reduced traction during braking, just like cars with big camber on the rear gives no traction when accelerating

It just looks like some poor person who doesn't know whst they are doing has cut their springs, or put in SSSSSL spring for the invisible caravan look

Nope, no good will come of it, people will laugh, I know it would give me a good laugh

7° camber, hell, I'm laughing now

Next people will want to run 7° positive camber, to look like a lifted 4x4 Baja racer
I'm being genuine. I don't mind if people laugh at it cause I think it looks cool, but I'm not going to do it if it's illegal. Probably should've worded the question a bit better because the camber thing was just a random mod I thought of doing on top of lowering the car - lowering takes priority here.

Anyways, if I run stock camber and lower within the legal height, will I get booked for having a lowered car because I'm on my red Ps?

someguy360

Reaction score
Members Ride
Various
Most likely yes, if you are wearing a P plate on your car you are basically a red shirt to a bull when it comes to the cops.

A cop can see a P plate coming from 500m away, they can almost smell it.

Don't give them a reason to pick on you. P platers aren't allowed to have performance modifications, and at an officers discretion he could say that lowered suspension impacts overall vehicle performance.

Performance parts aren't just engine bits.

Involcano

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Calais V (V6)
Most likely yes, if you are wearing a P plate on your car you are basically a red shirt to a bull when it comes to the cops.

A cop can see a P plate coming from 500m away, they can almost smell it.

Don't give them a reason to pick on you. P platers aren't allowed to have performance modifications, and in an officers discretion he could say that lowered suspension impacts performance.
Thanks for the info :)

someguy360

Reaction score
Members Ride
Various
No worries, we've all been through it.

Even though a lot of us didn't have as harsh ruling as today (for example I had V8's etc on my P's as there was no laws against it back then) but if you are a P plater you are guilty until proven innocent in the eyes of the law, don't give them a reason to pull you over.

They'll try and find something to get you on with a completely stock vehicle if you give them a reason.

lmoengnr

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
MY12.5 Maloo R8, MY12 Redline ute, Magnum 224
If you want to do things that really stand out, wait until you're off your 'P'sss...