Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Load rated tyre for the VF

VESSVBLACK

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SS Series 1
So what happens if your pulled up by the cops and they check the car over, and ask you where the tyre placard is for 20'' wheels and 255/35 20 tyres? or more to the point , how are you covered to show the authorities its legal?

saroadie

Reaction score
Members Ride
2015 VF SV6 Storm
Cars supplied with factory or dealer fitted 20 inch wheels have a tyre placard specifying them affixed to the car.

panhead

Reaction score
Members Ride
Cars
Cars supplied with factory or dealer fitted 20 inch wheels have a tyre placard specifying them affixed to the car.

Correct.

Here's the tyre placard on my VF2 with optioned HF20's.

scooter02

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF S2 SSV Redline ute
So even though the owners manual states that an SS V series redline can have either 19's or 20's, we still can only go by whats on the placard? isn't a vehicle with 20's an "equivalent variant of that model vehicle" to the vehicle with 19's..

gfl

Reaction score
Members Ride
Gen-F Tourer
So even though the owners manual states that an SS V series redline can have either 19's or 20's, we still can only go by whats on the placard? isn't a vehicle with 20's an "equivalent variant of that model vehicle" to the vehicle with 19's..

Yes, even a SS or Calais V8, which I believe have a 98 load rated tyre, if you have a V6 then what ever is on an Evoke is legit. There is no limit on rim diameter only on all up rolling diameter (tyre and rim) being +15mm/-26mm and not fouling the brakes/suspension. No limit on width on standard rims only that they comply with the Tyre and Rim Standards Manual of the Tyre and Rim Association of Australia (and others), and on non standard rims no more than 30% wider and a 70% difference front to rear.

Last edited:

saroadie

Reaction score
Members Ride
2015 VF SV6 Storm
I think the issue really relates to load rating.

As per Panhead's photo, there is an amended 20 inch tyre sticker affixed. Mine has a similar one but for non-staggered and only lists 245/35/20. Also there is another sticker stating max rear axle loading 1300kg and that this may differ from owner manual.

Rules and interpretation of 'legal' wheel and tyre sizes between states may vary slightly.

Fitting 20s to a car originally specified with 18s or 19s will likely affect load carrying capability and all state authorities are well aware as are manufacturers. The details on the amended placards attached by Holden make determination of correct tyre fitment and vehicle use clear. Therefore fitting 20s without having the amended placard(s) may cause some aggro for the owner if facing a roadside police stop or an insurance claim Not to say the owner couldn't prove compliance just that it may be made more difficult.

scooter02

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF S2 SSV Redline ute
Yes load rating the main issue, from what I am reading from VSB 14, 4.2.12 , I would think I would be ok, as I have a redline and redline's were originally specified with 19's or 20's, and it says that the vehicle "may be equipped with tyres other than those listed on the tyre placard" ....I just want to be sure, please tell me if I'm not...

"A light motor vehicle (under 4.5 tonne GVM) which is required to comply with ADR 24/... or ADR 42/04 may be equipped with tyres other than those listed on the tyre placard provided that:
 the load rating of the tyres is not less than the lowest load rating listed on the tyre placard of the vehicle or equivalent variant of that model vehicle;