Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Looking for new car... VF Sv6 .. Reliablity?

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore Motorsport Edition
I think that's a big "it depends", i
In the context of Terry's comment and your replay, I meant the bulk of ex-lease cars first go through these closed shop dealer only auctions. The majority of ex-lease cars seemed to be picked up by dealers via such methods. And what's left over, the dregs the dealers didn't want, go on to the public auction for consumption. The cars may be good, they may have some issues, but in my admittedly old experiance their price was always higher at public auction as compares to similar at those dealer only auctions.

And as always there will always be edge cases but for the most, cars sold at public auction get a higher price than similar cars sold at dealer only auction (which is also a closed shop public auction).

Well, private sales... why would an owner want their car going through a dealer only auction where it may sell for a lower price... I'd assume they can choose and it'd be better to get it through the pleb's public auction where there should be lots of interest if it's somethig desirable... and which is why you also see dealer reps at these pleb's public auction :p Whether large fleet owners are pushing their cars through these pleb public auctions these days, I don't know as I haven't gone to car auctions for quite some years... :rolleyes:

Terry57

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Evoke Wagon
Interesting comment regards pleb auctions. I go to these auctions regular and now just to keep a handle on whats goin on.

Regards the fleet and Gov cars. Many of these cars are unmarked in top condition with full logs.

I wonder how these cars reach pleb auctions and have not been sold at dealer auction ?

Fooked if i know ?

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
also in many cases you get no warranty/acl protections if it is sold by auction.
In law, a seller doesn't need to provide a sellers warranty when an item is sold at public auction. Such must be clearly explained prior to auction. But the law doesn't stop someone choosing to provide a sellers warranty in the hope of getting a better price. Again, this is clearly explained. In such cases where a sellers warranty is provided at public auction, i'd expect it also drags in ACL statutory warranty protections w.r.t. quality, durability and such issues, not just clear title :p

If a vehicle still has a manufacturer's warranty, unless the manufacture is selling it, then you don't loose any factory warranty that is left on the vehicle sold through an auction. Otherwise all ex-lease cars passing through public auctions wouldn't have any manufacturers warranty on them (and many do) :rolleyes:

As always, people wanting top buy at auction need to ask questions and clearly understand any risk they take in buying at auction.

PS: quite some years back i was watching people spend big on buying up hail damaged (and repairable water damaged) cars but very few seemed to realise they would not be able to get comp insurance until all damages were (professionally) repaired :rolleyes: Warranty aint the only concern, ability to registrater and insure also need to be confirmed..

panhead

Reaction score
Members Ride
Cars
There are a lot of knowledgeable people here.

So how much would this 2017 VF2 SS with minor damage be worth?

Auto with low 40ks if you're interested.

I'm guessing there'd be no warranty.

1632371659806.png

stooge

Reaction score
Members Ride
Turbo Alpaca
In law, a seller doesn't need to provide a sellers warranty when an item is sold at public auction. Such must be clearly explained prior to auction. But the law doesn't stop someone choosing to provide a sellers warranty in the hope of getting a better price. Again, this is clearly explained. In such cases where a sellers warranty is provided at public auction, i'd expect it also drags in ACL statutory warranty protections w.r.t. quality, durability and such issues, not just clear title :p

yeah someone could offer warranty but you will find in most cases they wont.
pretty much every auction will be on the "as is" basis unless stated otherwise.

the acl statutory warranty does not apply to vehicles sold at auction nor does the consumer guarantee, a seller can offer a warranty but that does not enable acl because products purchased via "auction" are exempt.

the factory warranty is on the "product" and it does not matter how it is sold but once that is up there is no acl obligation to repair it if it was purchased via auction.

buying from an auction has a greater risk than buying from a dealer so the price you pay would want to reflect that added risk.

you might be able to purchase one of those 3rd party warranties(mechanical insurance) like AWN but those also can come with their own issues but it "could" be better than nothing.

Last edited:

Forg

Reaction score
Members Ride
Regal Peackock VF SS-V Redline Wagoon

View attachment 227174
My Subaruba looked not entirely unlike that, when the cops found it after it'd been stolen, used as a getaway car, dumped, then joy-ridden for another couple of days before it hit what looked like more than one immovable objects.

Which is why the 'phone-call was a bit strange, which I got 3 months after settlement from the kid who'd bought it at auction, asking how reliable it had been ...

stooge

Reaction score
Members Ride
Turbo Alpaca

View attachment 227174

nothing a bit of duct tape couldnt fix, $49,990 at your local dealer soon lol

stick3

Reaction score
Members Ride
vz sedan vs ute gsx1400

View attachment 227174

buy it and stick it in storage could use that in a future mad max movie last of the v8s

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride

View attachment 227174
That looks like a (fatal) impact with a pedestrian or animal judging by head strike on windscreen and subsequent rolling off the left side of the vehicle damaging other bits in the process o_O Oddly doesn’t look like airbags deployed :rolleyes: Bonnet must have been too mangled and/or must have been ripped off as blood soaked stuff is just pressure washed :oops:

Could be a great parts car but I’d think it would be repaired … after a cut and polish she'd look new… :p

How much will it sell for? No idea but if it’s being auctioned off, the insurance company thinks it’s either uneconomical to repair or some structural parts is bent so a writeoff in either cases. If the later, it means it’s a parts car.

bb_zetec

Reaction score
Members Ride
2016 VFII SV6 Sportwagon Slipstream Blue Black Ed.
I've seen people have bad experiences with auctions...i suppose they havent done their due dilligence.

If you are mechanically minded and prepared to fix anything that comes to light then yes they are a good way to save a bit.

Not every car WILL be bad from an auction, but i guess sometimes for the extra spent at the dealership you get a bit of piece of mind, and a face you can go back to should something go wrong (talking about the 3 month stat warranty here).

every car 2nd hand is a gamble of some sort really.....sometimes you get weary when you see a car traded in not long after its been sold recently. Some reasons are legit but sometimes its passing the buck onto someone else....

some cars are lemons and always will be....ive had a few myself!

You can only do your homework and go in with the best of intentions and a bit of luck thrown in too for good measure.