Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Losh's New Ride

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
All the wet rubbing is done. Started on the polisher but while it has some shine it's not a deep shine like I'm chasing. Spend probably 30 mins on half of the bow deck and side and I'm not happy with the depth. I feel like I now need a more aggressive compound and then finish with the Bowdens or Precision Platelets. I'm having trouble keeping it nice and wet so that's probably not helping.

Fu Manchu

We’ll get together. Have a few laughs.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Crewman, VZ Cross 8, & ya mum.
Use the Bowdens as burley. All it’s good for.

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
I'm getting some medium polish tomorrow. I'm hoping that will get quicker and better results than Precision Platelets or Bowdens.

I just had another look and it's not bad, just not as good as I'd like and maybe that's as good as it gets. It does look heaps better than it did two weeks ago.

Don't know, maybe I'm expecting too much? I look at BT and when washed that thing glisteneds in the right light. Being white and being a boat without clear maybe what I want and what's achievable is too far apart?

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
Use the Bowdens as burley. All it’s good for.
Buffing compound, no good? I've had it for years. Can't remember who recommended it. It's definitely a fine and not a medium cut.

Lex

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Executive S1 V6 6 speed Auto Wagon
All the wet rubbing is done. Started on the polisher but while it has some shine it's not a deep shine like I'm chasing. Spend probably 30 mins on half of the bow deck and side and I'm not happy with the depth. I feel like I now need a more aggressive compound and then finish with the Bowdens or Precision Platelets. I'm having trouble keeping it nice and wet so that's probably not helping.
Are all the 400 sandpaper lines out? If not, it won't get the shine you are after.

This applies too in metal polishing. It'll shine, but not the deep lustre you're after.

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
Are all the 400 sandpaper lines out? If not, it won't get the shine you are after.

This applies too in metal polishing. It'll shine, but not the deep lustre you're after.
Using the finishing sander it didn't really leave lines like a block does. I went to 1500 and 2000 after that. It's coming up quite good, just not that $100k boat look I was hoping for. It's 100x better than it was. Maybe it needed more wet rubbing, I can't tell.

I've been using the medium compound and it's doing its job. I really don't know if I should be able to reach the level I'm after?

According to the boat wax description, which I'm yet to buy that is supposed to bring out a deep shine, but I'm sceptical.

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
I've managed to damage my orange pad now to. It was getting pretty chopped up but now the outer ring has come away. I'm going to try and contact glue it back on and see how it goes. Too far to drive to buy another. If it looks like it might scratch then that will mean waiting until I'm in Town next and can buy another.

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
Quick snap. This is after a few hours of buffing. Not sure whether to now go to Precision Platelets with a grey pad in the hope for more deeper shine, or whether to call it now and buy some marine wax and see what that does. Hoping the Fil Will come around give me his opinion. I'm happy to keep going but another three - four hours on the polisher for little gain, I'm not keen on.

20240203_143007.jpg

chrisp

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF2 MY16 SS Redline Sportwagon
It’s looking very good. I reckon getting the black strip blacker will make the white really pop. I find that strong and clean contasts are what gives the wow.

Reactions: Lex

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
Yeah, looking at the bump strip, it definitely needs some work. Someone has painted it, and it wasn't done well. I'm not yet decided on what to do with it. It will need the old paint removed firstly. Then either a matt paint finish or see what I can do with it, without it being painted.