Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Making my Walkinshaw exhaust a bit louder

daves8

Reaction score
Members Ride
2015 VF Calais V 6.0 | 2013 VF Calais V V6 Wagon
Hi guys, I have a Walkinshaw catback with REX 4-1 headers and 100 CPI cats.

my Calais is now a Sunday car, and I would like it a little louder and meaner.

have considered the following

- add exhaust cutouts before rear mufflers controller electronically. Although concerned this might be too loud

- adding a small cam. Although concerned this might create more drone, and make car unpleasant to drive (got burnt last time with a 224/228 on 110 LSA with 640 lift. Became a bit of a pig)

- replacing the rear Walkinshaw mufflers with X force varex. Not sure how these would sound.

thoughts?

dimetime

Reaction score
Members Ride
ve calais 6lt
Hi guys, I have a Walkinshaw catback with REX 4-1 headers and 100 CPI cats.

my Calais is now a Sunday car, and I would like it a little louder and meaner.

have considered the following

- add exhaust cutouts before rear mufflers controller electronically. Although concerned this might be too loud

- adding a small cam. Although concerned this might create more drone, and make car unpleasant to drive (got burnt last time with a 224/228 on 110 LSA with 640 lift. Became a bit of a pig)

- replacing the rear Walkinshaw mufflers with X force varex. Not sure how these would sound.

thoughts?
I would advise against the xforce option, I'd say you'd want some dpe (Walkinshaw/manta) 1 7/8 headers with no cats or a camshaft would do it, cam on a series 1 l77 is Gunna be 5k by the time you delete the dod/AFM system thou!

daves8

Reaction score
Members Ride
I would advise against the xforce option, I'd say you'd want some dpe (Walkinshaw/manta) 1 7/8 headers with no cats or a camshaft would do it, cam on a series 1 l77 is Gunna be 5k by the time you delete the dod/AFM system thou!
You think bigger dimension headers will make it sound louder? I understand the REX have the longest length primaries in the market. I understand I would get more throb from genuine long 4-1 headers.

thinking cam might be the go. Yes, I reckon $4.5k with DOD delete

kleanphil

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SS-V SII Sportwagon
OIP[1].jpg
start with one hole then progress to desired loudnessness :D
NOTE: Alcohol induced reply

vr304

Reaction score
Members Ride
2007 ssv manual
I remember seeing an add for a dpe system here in nz they cut open the rear mufflers and did something inside them to open them up a bit more, forget what it was now

[paradox]

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF2 SSV-R
i think exhaust wise you would be pretty set, headers, high flow cats, dpe cat back

i would have thought the dpe mufflers were pretty straight through?
easy way to test would be to pull of the muffler and see how it sounds, give you and idea if cutouts would work also.
i dont think there would be any benefit going dpe muffler > xforce muffler

as for cam, but maybe go for a wider LSA next time if you found 110 not friendly to drive

daves8

Reaction score
Members Ride
i think exhaust wise you would be pretty set, headers, high flow cats, dpe cat back

i would have thought the dpe mufflers were pretty straight through?
easy way to test would be to pull of the muffler and see how it sounds, give you and idea if cutouts would work also.
i dont think there would be any benefit going dpe muffler > xforce muffler

as for cam, but maybe go for a wider LSA next time if you found 110 not friendly to drive
Agreed. Was looking at 223/228 on 114 LSA, but only 580 lift. I had 645 in my last one.

Clay1391

Reaction score
Members Ride
Ssv redline
Cutouts are on my list, AES mufflers make the best ones apparently because when they are shut they don't leak sound and seal tightly unlike xforce or other known brands. Highly recommended by all the people that have them. They aren't cheap, from memory it was 500$ for one! So for 2 it was 1k and you also needed a y pipe to weld on. Anyway so all up it would be roughly 1500$ to pay someone to fit it.