Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Matt's ZB RS-V wagon long term review

MattSAU2XR8

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SS Auto 2007
My bad...

Should actually have a tiny bit more than pre-AFM stock levels too since has a big CAI properly boxed in and a stainless midsection in the exhaust with an x-pipe. At any rate it would smoke the RSV :-( On the other hand knowing that I can just get the RSV serviced every 12 kkms, probably buy a set of tyres and brake pads somewhere along the way, and then sell it under warranty in 4 years is a big plus :)

MattSAU2XR8

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SS Auto 2007
Just picked the car up today and very pleased! So much car for a reasonable price.

Much quieter and smoother and easier to drive then the SS - think Mazda 3 with a bigger engine. Engine stop (eg. at lights) seems silly but very easy to turn off with button next to shifter. No poking around in menus on the screen for example. Speaking of engine stop, I can also start it remotely, eg. to cool it down on a hot day.

Driving home had the opportunity to accelerate properly around a corner and felt the AWD kicking in - obviously produces some yaw as felt like the car was stepping out in a controlled manner. Hard to resist the urge to countersteer. Gear changes all but imperceptible most of the time.

Brakes obviously not as good as the VE (Brembos with Bendix Ultimtes) but still as good as an SV6. I suspect a set of Bendix Ultimate would help here - although I might just wait and see for a bit, am enjoying the wheels being silver for now. Good to know if anyone can recommend pads that are noticeably grippier than stock but don't make a carp load of dust....

Seats and driving position very good. HUD is great - can have it sitting just below horizon and check speed without taking eyes off the road, and its very large and clear. Climate control is something I've been missing - just set it once on day of purchase and forget about it :) Bluetooth and sat nav also very good.

Accessories wise all I've added so far is a set of deep dish rubber floor mats for $30 (front and rear) from Supercheap. These trimmed up easily to fit almost as well as tailored carpet mats and have the advantages of actually containing dirt rather than having it migrate under the mat, and being grippy both sides so they are unlikely to migrate even without clipping onto factory lugs, and also making it easier to keep one's foot in position.

Presently on the lookout for a cover for just the driver's seat, since this is the only one likely to wear during my ownership.

MattSAU2XR8

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SS Auto 2007
Oh, and as regards the V6 vs 4T for driveability. I tend to agree that the 4T felt snappier, probably because the turbo starts boosting at low revs and really does seem to go nuts and want to chew up the front tyres - quite amusing. If they made a 4T AWD wagon I'd be tempted, and if they made for example a 4T 2.3 litre version with 235 KW and same spread of torgue as the 2 litre version this would clearly be a fantastic engine - but then we're talking about a Focus RS type powertrain so it should be. As it stands I think the V6 does accelerate just as hard down low, but makes SLIGHTLY more nose and vibration as it does so, which makes one less likely to boot it without noticing what's happening. Given in my case I enjoy driving, for me at least V6 and AWD is at least as good as 4T and FWD, mostly due to the benefit of AWD outweighing the silent and effortless grunt of the 4T.

Badgerdog

Reaction score
Members Ride
ZB Calais V
Congrats Matt,
Yeah that little 2.0 is a belter and super smooth.
V6 goes well too.

StrayKiwi

Reaction score
Members Ride
MY18 ZB VXR
Oh, and as regards the V6 vs 4T for driveability. I tend to agree that the 4T felt snappier, probably because the turbo starts boosting at low revs and really does seem to go nuts and want to chew up the front tyres - quite amusing. If they made a 4T AWD wagon I'd be tempted...

I think ultimately the V6 will be quietly binned and Holden will only offer 4Ts. Had they offered the 4T engine with AWD I doubt many people would have gone for the V6 at all, myself included.

MattSAU2XR8

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SS Auto 2007
Probably not I agree. Although I still think the V6 isn't a bad engine. The Yanks seem to be giving it good reviews in Camaro's recently, although admittedly they are lighter cars. Car and Driver seemed to prefer the V6 inteh Camaro to the 2.3 Ecoboost the Mustang...

https://www.caranddriver.com/review...s-2016-ford-mustang-ecoboost-comparison-test/

And some good reviews for the Buick Regal GS, which is like yours but with (possibly) softer suspension...

https://www.cnbc.com/2019/02/03/bui...llar-value-but-dont-expect-the-best-ride.html

Smashfist

Reaction score
Members Ride
440rwhp Cammed VF Ute
In my experience there is zero torque steer in the 4 cyl ZB Commodores

My experience showed otherwise. I drove a 2L ZB for a couple of months when I was back in dealer land. Geez those things get up and go in the mid-range for a little 4-pot but torque steer was very noticeable.

figjam

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
FJ
I like your write-up, not one mention of cup holders and stupid electronic driver aids.
I have had one (1) look at a V6 tourer. The sales people would/could not tell me much about the AWD.
It is FWD basically and then on-demand-AWD ? Not constant AWD like Adventra and early Territorys ?

StrayKiwi

Reaction score
Members Ride
MY18 ZB VXR
I have had one (1) look at a V6 tourer. The sales people would/could not tell me much about the AWD.
It is FWD basically and then on-demand-AWD ? Not constant AWD like Adventra and early Territorys ?

Definitely on demand, but if you believe the spin, it's supposed to be pre-emptive rather than reactive as it reads a ton of different sensors as well as just wheel slip to determine when to activate the rear drive unit.
https://www.autoevolution.com/news/...nster-torque-vectoring-awd-system-114532.html

Last edited:

tuckerbag

Reaction score
Members Ride
vy2ss dual cab rodeo fjr1300