Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Matt's ZB RS-V wagon long term review

MattSAU2XR8

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SS Auto 2007
Does feel sort of pre-emptive, or at least keeping up in real time - eg. accelerating through a corner at say 80 km/h with the 'sport' mode selected I can feel a tiny bit of yaw as mentioned above, and its not like it has a second or so of understeer before this happens. Probably not that hard to build it this way since body computer would just have to look for clues such as throttle opening, steering angle, how low a gear, and so on. And likely probably only spends 5 minutes per day sending significant power rearwards so clutch packs should last OK. Agree about the GM pox in general, although to avoid it one would need to find something else as new and quick for the same price :-( I'm figuring to enjoy it while it's under warranty and watch how other people who do higher mileages go before deciding whether to keep it after that. That said I'm pretty sure I read somewhere that the entire twinster drive system including it's own computer is supplied by GKN - same as an Aisan auto trans having its own computer. GKN seem to be based in the UK for better or worse. But have been using this sytem in the Range Rover Evoke since 2014. Here's a nice and not to boasty article about how it works, which notes the 'sport' setting actually changing how much drive goes to outside rear wheel...

https://practicalmotoring.com.au/car-advice/2018-holden-commodore-vxr-technical-details-explained/

And customer feedback on Range Rover Evokes which have the GKN system. One customer DID have a diff problem, not explained in detail, but it seems a Range Rover is not a very reliable car...

https://www.productreview.com.au/listings/2011-2012-range-rover-evoque

MattSAU2XR8

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SS Auto 2007
On a different note, have been figuring on a headlight upgrade. Headlights are OK, but halogen and more or less adequate rather than impressive. Have been reading about globe upgrades and the two options without resorting to auxilliary lights seem to be high performance halogen globes, and LED conversion globes.

As far as high output halogen globes go Osram Night Breaker Ultimates seem to be the best at 29 % more light, and a little whiter also. Interestingly most companies seem to claim that these globes are from 100 to 150 % more powerful, but if I am to believe the Bulbfacts website this might be a bit of an exaggeration... Also globe life may be an issue as compared to the standard ones that run cooler. But fairly cheap now at under $30 per set if bought from Amazon Australia, as long as I buy more than $49 worth at once for free delivery. I've ordered some of these and will not the mileage I get from the low and high beams. Here's a good bulb review:

https://bulbfacts.com/halogen-bulbs/reviews/osram-night-breaker-unlimited-vs-oem.html

The other option I'm considering for just the high beams in future is an LED insert. Possibly from STEDI who seem to offer a plug and play solution for about $130 AUD. Not legal unfortunately. But if put in the high beams then in principle no different to wiring up an LED light bar to come on when high beams are on. And hard to detect as should not be switched on when anyone can see it... Bit hard to mount a light bar on a plastic bumper. People seem pretty happy with these:

https://www.stedi.com.au/copper-head-h7-led-head-light-conversion-kit.html

StrayKiwi

Reaction score
Members Ride
MY18 ZB VXR
That said I'm pretty sure I read somewhere that the entire twinster drive system including it's own computer is supplied by GKN - same as an Aisan auto trans having its own computer. GKN seem to be based in the UK for better or worse.

If it is a "black box" system as you suggest, then knowing that the exact same system is in the Ford Focus RS with it's 257kw and 440nm engine and manual transmission bodes well for Holden reliability since it'll be getting a pretty serious workout in that application.

EDIT: I must admit it's not 100% the same, as the Ford application has different software programming to allow for drift mode etc...

Last edited:

wetwork65

A wet business
Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SSV Wagon & VF SV6 Wagon
Does feel sort of pre-emptive, or at least keeping up in real time - eg. accelerating through a corner at say 80 km/h with the 'sport' mode selected I can feel a tiny bit of yaw as mentioned above, and its not like it has a second or so of understeer before this happens. Probably not that hard to build it this way since body computer would just have to look for clues such as throttle opening, steering angle, how low a gear, and so on. And likely probably only spends 5 minutes per day sending significant power rearwards so clutch packs should last OK. Agree about the GM pox in general, although to avoid it one would need to find something else as new and quick for the same price :-( I'm figuring to enjoy it while it's under warranty and watch how other people who do higher mileages go before deciding whether to keep it after that. That said I'm pretty sure I read somewhere that the entire twinster drive system including it's own computer is supplied by GKN - same as an Aisan auto trans having its own computer. GKN seem to be based in the UK for better or worse. But have been using this sytem in the Range Rover Evoke since 2014. Here's a nice and not to boasty article about how it works, which notes the 'sport' setting actually changing how much drive goes to outside rear wheel...

https://practicalmotoring.com.au/car-advice/2018-holden-commodore-vxr-technical-details-explained/
Thanks for the link - I can't help thinking that if all this technology and ability was used in advertising or marketing to buyers they might see the ZB more favourably and therefore sell more. I am trying to recall any ZB advertising that I have seen.
Suspect targeted Holden buyers are more interested in colours, textures and connectivity.
Reading through the link you provided impressed me and made an increase in my inclination to buy one. But then I am not the target market.

dgp

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF II SSV Redline

And customer feedback on Range Rover Evokes which have the GKN system. One customer DID have a diff problem, not explained in detail, but it seems a Range Rover is not a very reliable car...

That was a good read.
So is the VXR the only commodore with all this trickery, or does the CalaisV get it too?
Do any of the 4T cars get it?
Stupid Holden, this is the sort of thing they should be advertising, their sales might not be as poor.

MattSAU2XR8

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SS Auto 2007
In terms of suspension trickery it goes like this:
- LT and RS have normal McPherson struts and are FWD only
- All V6 models (RS, RSV, Calais, VXR) have HiPerStruts at the front, which I understand is just a McPherson strut with an extra link to reduce torque steer, might not have hurt to spend the extra $100 and include it on the 4T models which aren't exactly short of torque...
- All V6 models also have AWD on demand, and presumably some tuning of rear drive bias by the 'sport' setting
- VXR also gets electronic shock absorbers with different settings, eg. comfort, sport, ?VXR mode

MattSAU2XR8

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SS Auto 2007
Got my Osram Nightbreakers today ('Unlimited' variety). Installed just the left hand side and took some pics with just the left side changed out initially, see link below...

https://imgur.com/gallery/fKuG5JW

I think these will make a useful difference - I'd now call the lights 'good' rather than 'adequate'. Still thinking about a light bar or some driving lights for country travel though...

Will keep a note of how long they last - for reference these were installed at 8810 kms and the majority of my driving is daytime at present.

Badgerdog

Reaction score
Members Ride
ZB Calais V

Thanks for the links. Some nice technology in the driveline and it really works well. Hitting the sport button in the twisties really makes a noticeable difference with the torque vectoring compared to the regular drive mode.

StrayKiwi

Reaction score
Members Ride
MY18 ZB VXR
- VXR also gets electronic shock absorbers with different settings, eg. comfort, sport, ?VXR mode

The VXRs active dampers are electrically controlled and offer 3 settings, Normal/Touring (it has no label - it's just what you get when the other two are not enabled), Sport and VXR, each progressively more aggressive. But I will say, the car does not feel like it's riding on 35 series tyres on 20" rims. And that's a good thing.

ham1748

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT executive
hi MattSAU2XR8,
my dad is thinking buy a latest model of commoodore ZB RS-V, had read lots discussion about the car, bad and good, tbh is the car worth to buy? as in long term, not going think about resell vaule etc, i understand that the car is no longer made by aussie , and is that mean in future its hard to get parts? incase need repair etc
thanks