Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Matt's ZB RS-V wagon long term review

Discussion in 'ZB Holden Commodore (2018)' started by MattSAU2XR8, Apr 26, 2019.

1. tuckerbag

tuckerbag Active Member

Members Ride:
    vy2ss dual cab rodeo fjr1300
    No complaints with the seats in my SL or the ratty ol VP

2. Pablito

Pablito Active Member

Members Ride:
    VF Redline, VE SS
    Like a lounge. So were the VN Calais velour ones.

Fu Manchu likes this.
  3. MattSAU2XR8

MattSAU2XR8 Member

Members Ride:
    VE SS Auto 2007
    Fuel economy around town improving. Down to 14.3 litres per 10 km manually calculated based on short trips under 10 kms, average speed about 29, and air con most days. I think it will get a little better still - hasn't been driven that hard to my knowledge so probably still a bit tight at 12000 kms.

4. benny66

benny66 Benno

Members Ride:
    VF Calais V MY14 May 2014
    In the ZB user guide that comes with the car mention is made of a sunglasses storage spot in the area just above the rear view mirror .I can't seem to get it to open . Does it actually have one or is the user guide wrong?

5. SteveRSV

SteveRSV New Member

Members Ride:
    ZB RSV Sportwagon
    I think you just push it in(up towards the roof) and it unlatches.
    I dont know if it's fitted to all models though.

6. Anthony121

Anthony121 Well-Known Member

Members Ride:
    VF SSV Redline MY17 & VF Director
    It will not open on a car with a sunroof.

7. benny66

benny66 Benno

Members Ride:
    Ok. Good to know.

8. Derekthetree

Derekthetree New Member

Members Ride:
    Gen F R8 MY15
    Really?! that seems a bit poor. You'd think if they can't design a sunglasses holder that works with the sunroof they'd leave it off.

It's like those kitchens where they put handles on the doors that don't open just to fool you

9. Anthony121

Anthony121 Well-Known Member

Members Ride:
    VF SSV Redline MY17 & VF Director
    The motor for the sunroof is behind it. I don't think the opening is even cut out. The same as the VE/VF.

10. benny66

benny66 Benno

Members Ride:
    I am trying to find the recommended pressure to put in my tyres. Normally there is a sticker on the drivers door area. Can’t see one. I have the Calais v tourer. Any suggestions? The manual suggests 41 in front and r6 in back. Sound correct?

11. SteveRSV

SteveRSV New Member

Members Ride:
    ZB RSV Sportwagon
    The manual states a suggested range depending on load. I believe (I dont have access to the manual) that 41psi is the suggested pressure when heavily loaded.
    Everyone has their own view on "correct" pressure, personally I have lowered the RS-V to 36 all round.
    The Calais with its different tyre size may feel correct at a different pressure, depending on your preference for ride quality vs handling. Maybe move the pressures around a bit and see how it feels.

12. Badgerdog

Badgerdog Active Member

Members Ride:
    ZB Calais V
    My manual suggets the comfort setting for V6 with 18 inch tyres, (acknowledge 17's are probably different recommendation) is 39 front and 36 rear.
    I guess the extra difference in the front is to account for the weight of the V6 engine ?
    From memory when I had the LT loan car the tyre pressure recommendations were 3-4 psi south of there.
    That said I have found with other cars that 36 all round gives a good balance between ride comfort and handling so I think you're possibly bang on the money.

13. MattSAU2XR8

MattSAU2XR8 Member

Members Ride:
    VE SS Auto 2007
    Tyre size/pressure sticker is inside passenger door jamb:

- Lightly loaded 38F and 35 R

- Economy 39 F and R

- Heavy load 41 F and 46 R

14. benny66

benny66 Benno

Members Ride:
    Thanks. Yes the previous owner seems to have out the max allowed in the tyres .Makes for harsh ride but amazing pickup. I am sure the comfort will be smoother albeit I can't have an amazing take off .

15. Redlinejimmy

Redlinejimmy New Member

Members Ride:
    ZB RS-V Sportswagon
    I have just purchased a RS-V wagon like Matt's. Ex GMH exec driven with 8,000 k's and balance of 5 years warranty. Seems to be a great car EXCEPT a few issues I'm not impressed about:
    • Front control arm bushes need replacing - creaking groaning like a 70's land cruiser under brakes and on uneven ground. Still waiting for parts 4 weeks on.
    • Sub woofer on the spare tyre is not a sub woofer. Apparently, it is to do with some sort of noise cancellation?? Expensive frisbee... ? Anyway, Holden advertise all RS V6 and upwards models as having 8 speaker premium sound. Mine only has 7 speakers - unless anyone can tell me where the 8th is hiding? Plus my LH rear door speaker doesn't work so I actually only have 6 speakers...
    • Wireless phone charger does not work on iPhone 10...? Maybe an Apple thing but still! WTF.
    • Auto stop has never cut in. Car idles permanently at lights or when stopped. Some people may prefer this but if its a feature it should work.
    • Terrible vibration rattle in rear left luggage compartment above battery compartment. Jammed 2 business cards against the window to stop me going insane.
    • Intermittent dashboard rattles from the middle near center speaker. Only on really rough roads.
    I am keen to hear if Matt or anyone else has experienced these issues? I genuinely think they are a good car.... however, I am pretty darn happy I have 50 months warranty left because I reckon my dealer is going to get sick of me..

16. SteveRSV

SteveRSV New Member

Members Ride:
    ZB RSV Sportwagon
    Gday Jimmy.
    We bought ours about 8 weeks ago with 14000 km.
    First up, the parts required to fix the control arm issue on ours took nearly 6 weeks to arrive, the work was completed neary two weeks ago and have had no more issues.
    Regarding the Iphone charging, from browsing the Buick Regal forum https://buickforums.com/forums/forums/2018-buick-regal-sportback-and-tourx-forum.135/ it seems there is an updated unit available, but at a cost. I have neither an Iphone nor any phone capable of wireless charging so I haven't paid too much attention.
    The Stop/Start on ours works almost too well. The engine stops the instant the car stops, every time. More often than not I flip the shifter to the manual side to stop it from operating.
    We haven't suffered any rattles yet, very happy in that regard, but I have certainly read of issues with dashboard rattles, once again from the Buick forum.
    Agree with you completely regarding the subwoofer. The car is certainly advertised as having one, and if you search the part number on google, the only info relates to subwoofers. Like yours though, ours also doesn't make a peep. Our LH rear speaker works fine though.
    Guess I'll be having a chat to the dealer soon. Thanks for the heads up.
    Faults are always annoying, but there is no car available today that comes even remotely close to the spec, performance and warranty of the RS-V wagon for around $30000.

17. Redlinejimmy

Redlinejimmy New Member

Members Ride:
    ZB RS-V Sportswagon

18. Redlinejimmy

Redlinejimmy New Member

Members Ride:
    ZB RS-V Sportswagon
    Hi Steve,
    Thanks for the feedback!
    Ill just sit tight on the control arms then.
    It seems my auto stop is faulty then work. Took it to dealer and they said it only works on the V6 every now and then depending on alternator load, engine temp, etc. But mine has never worked.
    As for the rear door speaker they will have to pull the door trim off = broken clips, more rattles, torn dust covers, etc!
    Don't want them to pull apart the dash to fix rattles either as will probably create more damage doing it. Apparently there is a fix for noisy dashes https://www.motoring.com.au/creaky-commodore-quietened-112764/
    We will see how we go but I don't like having a new cars trim torn apart = broken clips/dents/scratches/new rattles that weren't there before.
    Its annoying as like you said its well optioned and drives well..
    Cheers

19. benny66

benny66 Benno

Members Ride:
    According to the Commodore brochure available on the Holden web site . The rs-v has 8 speaker stereo but no subwoofer. You have to opt for the Calais to get the subwoofer in the tourer and of course the Calais V and vxr in the sedan.

20. Redlinejimmy

Redlinejimmy New Member

Members Ride:
    ZB RS-V Sportswagon
    Yes true. I wonder where the 8th speaker is hiding? 1 in dash, 2 in each front door and 1 in each rear door = 7.