Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

My 1967 Chevrolet Impala (Supernatural exact)

amos_executive

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Executive
Yeah I am in Cockburn (excuse the name), it's about 20min down south of river. Was visiting a mate in Yealering, it was fairly far when I saw the Impala. I see what you mean with people making those daddy car comments, oh well you do own her haha
I'll be going on the Peter Brock cruise but not many plans other than that, how'd you lose the license?

haha no way mate, im used to explaining where cockburn is myself as i live there to, in yangebup so just down the road from the train station
nice, thats looking to be a good day, by being an absolute numpty haha, got done pissy and driving disqualified, all in the commodore so the impalas still got a clean name haha

RedhotThunder

Reaction score
Members Ride
Series 2 VE Thunder Sv6
Hey bud, damn nice car. Was looking at doing either an impala or 70 charger myself but have settled on a 69 camaro. Just like the size of the camaro better, smallish muscle car with enough room in the engine bay for a 632 ci bbc haha.

Couple things to pick your brain over if you don't mind. What sorta economy you getting with the 350 and what size fuel tank it have at the moment. Any idea what economy that NRE engine will give yah? I Sussex them out as well and I want to shy away from the turbos purely because it's unnatural to put them in something this old school. But they offer massive power if you want it and still quite street able. Where as the supercharged combos don't pack as much horsepower or torque but the torque curve is off its head haha. I'd love to go blower option as well, just the scoop thing is a bit of a turnoff. With the big blocks not only does the bug catcher stick up but so does the blower so the scoop would have to be pretty big.

Obviously I'm not that fussed about fuel economy being it a muscle car/cruiser. I just don't want to have to stop every 50kms so have to try find a medium of big muscle/decent mileage. Any light you could shed on the topic would be good mate.

Cheers.

amos_executive

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Executive
Hey bud, damn nice car. Was looking at doing either an impala or 70 charger myself but have settled on a 69 camaro. Just like the size of the camaro better, smallish muscle car with enough room in the engine bay for a 632 ci bbc haha.

Couple things to pick your brain over if you don't mind. What sorta economy you getting with the 350 and what size fuel tank it have at the moment. Any idea what economy that NRE engine will give yah? I Sussex them out as well and I want to shy away from the turbos purely because it's unnatural to put them in something this old school. But they offer massive power if you want it and still quite street able. Where as the supercharged combos don't pack as much horsepower or torque but the torque curve is off its head haha. I'd love to go blower option as well, just the scoop thing is a bit of a turnoff. With the big blocks not only does the bug catcher stick up but so does the blower so the scoop would have to be pretty big.

Obviously I'm not that fussed about fuel economy being it a muscle car/cruiser. I just don't want to have to stop every 50kms so have to try find a medium of big muscle/decent mileage. Any light you could shed on the topic would be good mate.

Cheers.

thanks mate, appreciate it, and nice decision, will be good to see the build come along

its stroked out to 383 not that its bugger all difference, but cruising wise i think i calculated it to around 15-18 litre to the 100km with not much traffic stop starting just smooth sailling, although i didnt usually drive like that haha, on a good cruise had it sitting on the 20-30 km to the litre side, its a 100litre tank the impalas got in her, so even pushing the higherside i was still averaging 250-300kms to a tank which is acceptable for me, but obviously when you start playing silly buggers at all the events, you push it through the roof and it becomes phenomenal how short a 100litre tank will last

but that's just going off of memory so i wouldn't hold me to it, but itd be close enough to right

and NRE do a sick engine mate, i just cant go past a nice blower, the sound of it, the torque of it just everything haha, i'll be going the blown 572 down the road

frogsta

Perth WA
Reaction score
Members Ride
Focus ST E30
haha no way mate, im used to explaining where cockburn is myself as i live there to, in yangebup so just down the road from the train station
nice, thats looking to be a good day, by being an absolute numpty haha, got done pissy and driving disqualified, all in the commodore so the impalas still got a clean name haha

Damn wow, I tend to drive through there daily to the Bibra Lake warehouse for work.
Haha unfortunate how long till you get it back?

amos_executive

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Executive
Damn wow, I tend to drive through there daily to the Bibra Lake warehouse for work.
Haha unfortunate how long till you get it back?

haha small world hey, december next year hey, so a lengthy stint, sucks arse already

RedhotThunder

Reaction score
Members Ride
Series 2 VE Thunder Sv6
The blown 572 looks amazing but I doubt you'll be able to keep it a streeter if you get it done. The size of the cowl to keep it covered would be ridiculous, unless you get a procharger or something of the sort, not only that but peak torque at like 2500rpm will see ur tyres lasting all of 5 minutes hahaha! Amazing fun, just depends how practical you want to keep it. YouTube 'notorious nova'. It's a procharged 572 and it's off it's head, 1000hp on pump gas.

Food for thought, it's good that someone else on here has a project from the same era lol. Can pick yah brain over a few things, feel free to do the same though.

frogsta

Perth WA
Reaction score
Members Ride
Focus ST E30
Faaaaaaaaaark
Yeah, that sucks

amos_executive

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Executive
The blown 572 looks amazing but I doubt you'll be able to keep it a streeter if you get it done. The size of the cowl to keep it covered would be ridiculous, unless you get a procharger or something of the sort, not only that but peak torque at like 2500rpm will see ur tyres lasting all of 5 minutes hahaha! Amazing fun, just depends how practical you want to keep it. YouTube 'notorious nova'. It's a procharged 572 and it's off it's head, 1000hp on pump gas.

Food for thought, it's good that someone else on here has a project from the same era lol. Can pick yah brain over a few things, feel free to do the same though.

haha yeah i have thought pro charger, but i just can't steer away from a classic charger for a classic car, have had a look into a low profile option they offer which is what i'd probably go for, streetable wise they do make all of their engines really streetable for what the are, duno if you've ever watched any NRE clips but even there 1500+ bbc TT engines when installed are extremely well mannered until they stick the boot into it

i'm only looking to have it for a weekend cruiser, so i'll see what i end up goin with, more focused on the house being my money pit for the moment

yeah it is hey mate, what project you got running? and trust me i'm sure i will pick your brains as much as i can

Faaaaaaaaaark
Yeah, that sucks

haha yeah it is sh!t house

RedhotThunder

Reaction score
Members Ride
Series 2 VE Thunder Sv6
haha yeah i have thought pro charger, but i just can't steer away from a classic charger for a classic car, have had a look into a low profile option they offer which is what i'd probably go for, streetable wise they do make all of their engines really streetable for what the are, duno if you've ever watched any NRE clips but even there 1500+ bbc TT engines when installed are extremely well mannered until they stick the boot into it

i'm only looking to have it for a weekend cruiser, so i'll see what i end up goin with, more focused on the house being my money pit for the moment

yeah it is hey mate, what project you got running? and trust me i'm sure i will pick your brains as much as I can

Yeah fair points. A massive contributing factor to those twin turbo engines being street able though is given their massive size they don't kick in till 3000 or so rpm, below that it's just the same as the standard block whatever it may be... You don't get that with a supercharger. Also, I'll just use NRE's F-Bomb car as an example (fast and furious feature), the engine in it put out 1500 or so horsepower on the Dyno, in the car they wound it down to 800 odd horsepower to ensure it didn't obliterate the diff n gearbox etc. they have a video where they tested it out at the drags and even when they ran race gas they still only did a conservative tune to ensure reliability. More ridiculous is that 2000hp camaro they have, same thing, the engine rated 2000hp on the Dyno, but only runs 1000 on the street. The torque generated from a twin turbo big block like that when it's fed by mirror image 84mm turbos is ridiculous. Spiking from 600 to 1600ft pounds of torque so suddenly is a massive burden, he made a 632 cu twin turbo that broke his Dyno, so imagine that load going through a gearbox haha.

Anyways, like i said earlier... Cause the turbos he uses are on the large side, they don't spool till high rpm... This gives it that street ability. Where as with a blower, cause it effectively starts spooling as soon as you touch the pedal, peak torque comes on extremely early in the rev range and it holds torque for like forever (really good torque curve). Id assume that's why dragsters won't go near turbos purely because of the spool time. The blown combo might lack a little in the top end compare to the twin turbo combo, but it reaches it's peak much faster and a lot smoother, rather than going from relatively normal to ridiculous in a split second.

Lastly, the 572ci supercharged engine is a brutal engine, but to put it into perspective... A stock ve ss makes 550nm of torque at 6300rpm or close to that, you drop the clutch in 1st at 3000rpm even (so no where near peak torque) and the tyres light up. The blown 572ci makes. 900nm or so torque at 3000rpm, so unless your running drag slicks, you'll have to drive pretty damn careful to keep it under wraps haha.

I'm not intending to shatter your dreams or anything like that haha, just sharing what I've looked into more in the effort of helping where I can. I personally sussed out the 632ci engine NRE offers and after chatting to Tom a bit I decided that a built up 427 would probly suit me better. As the 632ci engine will struggle to get more than 10mpg (roughly 37litres per 100km) on a good day and the 427's sound ridiculously good.

My project at the moment by the way is a 69 camaro 396 SS. It's still in the states at the moment getting some custom bodywork done, flaring the guards a tiny bit much like josh kalis's custom camaro (google image it, it's insane). Getting as much done over there as I can before I ship it over, works out a lot cheaper believe it or not.

Wall of text for yah haha, hope it helps.

amos_executive

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Executive
yeah that's all very good points, im still very much in the air, as my heart's sending me to the supercharged beast, but then i'd end up just turning it into a comp car that rarely hits the streets, and thats steering away from what i've wanted to do with it

still very much in the air in regards to what i'll end up slamming in her

haha yeah the big cube big blocks definitely aren't easy on the petrol, what state are you in mate?

and that sounds the goods buddy, in ways i wish i'd got an import from the states so i could get all the work done over there, cause like you said the prices there compared to here are rediculously cheaper
that custom camaro is absolutely mental

haha it has mate, thanks for all the input and thoughts, always good to hear opinions on the engines im lookin at