Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

My VS series 2 5.0 manual Ute

Deuce

Super Stock
Reaction score
Members Ride
'94 VR SS V8
As long as your new exhaust doesn't have a horrible y-pipe with tight bends and a massive disproportionate length left to right, then I am happy.

Twin 2.5 to single muffler (and not a shite muffler please) then 3 out the back (maybe another muffler in there)
And extractors of course.
Then Bob's your uncle.

After that, calculate remaining budget and if possible go for:
- airbox (mace)
- tune
- diff gears

VS 5.0

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV Z Series M6
My old VS with 2.5 catback and mace air box.

Best with headphones.

Jecs

PAVTEK Race Engines
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
'97 Caprice 355ci & VZ SS Ute
Always had a big soft spot for VR/VS utes and if I had the room, id buy one in a heart beat. Mik you already know I love this thing. Great example of one and an awesome buy.

Last time was 2016 when I’d just bought a VS Caprice. Was a nice example of one, but had some gremlins, and I had to sell it as it wasn’t reliable enough to get me to work and back everyday.

not to hijack Miks thread but im the lucky bloke that was able to purchase the Caprice. Definitely had a few gremlins that left the car stalling and me stranded not being able to start the car, the hardest being replacing the dizzy - but one night me and the boys tackled it and got it done. Now it sits under 2 car covers in the shed haha.

IMG_15451.jpg

IMG_1605.JPG

IMG_13081.jpg

MIK85

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS S2 Caprice 5.0
Been slowly moving house the last few weeks, Ute has come in very handy, as I knew it would. Got it booked in for some pacemakers in a few weeks time, with a hi flow cat. It’s already got a Cat back 2.5 exhaust on it, so for now, I’ll leave that as it is. I’ve accepted it for what it is. It’s never going to be that quick, but I knew that, and that’s not really what I bought it for, it’s fun to drive, so that’ll do me.
One thing I’d like to change though, is the steering wheel. It’s massive, and I feel like I’m sitting pretty pretty close to get the heavy clutch all the way to the floor (not the tallest guy going around, haha) I had a look at a few different styles, but a lot of them say the boss kit will fit a sedan, but not the Ute? So my question is, are the Utes and sedans different, as far as the steering wheel goes?? Surely not?

someguy360

Reaction score
Members Ride
Various
Always had a big soft spot for VR/VS utes and if I had the room, id buy one in a heart beat. Mik you already know I love this thing. Great example of one and an awesome buy.

Me too, in fact I've been half tempted lately to sell the Navara and buy a VG/VR/VS/VU V8 ute as a daily.

Unfortunately I think they are starting to get a bit unobtainum in terms of daily run about pricing though, and if their values keep climbing the way they have been I'd be too scared to throw **** in the back and do all the normal ute things with it.

MIK85

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS S2 Caprice 5.0
Me too, in fact I've been half tempted lately to sell the Navara and buy a VG/VR/VS/VU V8 ute as a daily.

Unfortunately I think they are starting to get a bit unobtainum in terms of daily run about pricing though, and if their values keep climbing the way they have been I'd be too scared to throw **** in the back and do all the normal ute things with it.
Yeah that’s my worry at the moment. For now I’ve been using it for Ute things, but once I eventually get it painted and fixed up, it won’t be hauling anything I don’t think

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
I painted my tub in Raptor coating and then put a piece of marine carpet from Bunnings on the floor. Both kept the tub mint until the day I sold it. I was also careful to wrap up things, or secure them well in the tub, so as to prevent potential scratches. It's still a ute and I figured no use having a three seater if I can't haul gear as well. I used to bring loads across from SA to Tasmania a few times and never scratched the tub.

afstruct

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Maloo , 2002 Monaro

Just do it!!!!!!!!!
V8 bagger for a daily ( or a V6 and eventually convert) and in a few years time turn it into something special!!!! =- I wish I'd bought a couple more a few years ago.

Yeah that’s my worry at the moment. For now I’ve been using it for Ute things, but once I eventually get it painted and fixed up, it won’t be hauling anything I don’t think

Looking at hopefully repainting and more early next year and then = why are you using a trailer behind a perfectly good modern classic ute = because I can!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Well hopefully that's the plan.

Drawnnite

Obviously Unsensible
Reaction score
Members Ride
2000 Vs Ute
Its the one thing making me not want to part with my one (was the daily with alot of history) as trying to find one is becoming harder and costlier.
Always had grand plans for mine, and since now having a VZ v8 ute they might be able to come to fruition, although probably more likely to "daily" the VS as it always felt like the everyday vehicle.

I guess it all comes down to how you see it. For me it was always the practical daily, where as if you buy one now its probably more a mindfulness thing that its a classic. Where as I see my Thunder as the one i am cautious of because it was always the "one day i'll own what i wanted when i was younger" so it becomes a hassle of looking after it, while the VS would still be getting barrelled down those country roads :p

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
I wish I never pranged mine. It was a project ute that never quite got finished. Still I likely won't buy another as they are getting too hard to buy quality parts for. Genuine bar covers are the hardest part to get unless you find a good one, but then nearly all will still need stripping before painting, which is a very arduous task.