Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Need advise ASAP

Mandah

Reaction score
Members Ride
Ve omega
Hi guys hoping I could have some help and advise on possible fixes, I’ve been screwed I brought a car from family that had an engine swap swap was done at home so backyard mechanic styles.
Car is a 2006 Leo v6, Engine is 2008 Leo v6, It was meant to be complete plug and play good to go, Have had issues with the o2 sensors I’ve been to Holden they did diagnostics and came back with this
“Found ecu not reading o2 sensor correctly due to incorrect engine being fitted to vehicle current engine software required 6 o2 sensors, Vehicle only equiped to have 4 sensors due to wiring harness”.
Now I’m no expert but I’m also not dumb, No Holden’s were fitted for 6 sensors, I’ve sworn black and blue at them if there was meant to be 6 where the hell are the other plugs that the two imaginary sensors plugged into.
They kept going on and on about comparing the wiring diagrams and them not matching, They are adamant there is no fix except another engine replacement, No way to modify the software to be correct or anything they are adamant there is meant to be 6 o2 sensors with that engine.
I’m at my wits end with this car Holden won’t help or try to explain how they came to the conclusion about the 6 sensors and can’t show me how there is meant to be 6, They happily took my money and didn’t even have the decency to clear the engine light.
I’m hoping I have some options other then engine swapping, I’m waiting for another Holden dealer to confirm whether the whole software thing is legit or just dribble they came up with to get out of anything as I just wanted the diagnostic.
Any help would be appreciated and apologies if this doesn’t make sense I’m livid atm, afternoon 4 months in and out of mechanics and electricians just to be at square one.

*Edited my grammar was not up to par appologies*

Last edited:

vc commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC, VH and VY
First fix is, break up the posting...ie, Start and finishes to sentences, using capital letters at the start of the sentence and full stops at the end....At the moment it looks like one big bit of gobbley gook, that it extremely difficult to read

VS_Pete

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE II SV6 MY12 SPORTWAGON
^^^^^^as above
I don`t read threads like that anymore.
Good luck with it.

Mandah

Reaction score
Members Ride
Ve omega
First fix is, break up the posting...ie, Start and finishes to sentences, using capital letters at the start of the sentence and full stops at the end....At the moment it looks like one big bit of gobbley gook, that it extremely difficult to read
^^^^^^as above
I don`t read threads like that anymore.
Good luck with it.

Is that more suitable to read or does it need more editing? Punctuation is not my strong suit, I took the lazy approach and figured the commas would be acceptable to show start and finish. I’m positive the edit would still have issues but hopefully that is more acceptable.

Last edited:

VTS5

TechJunkie
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE OMEGA 3.6L Dual Fuel
Car is a 2006 Leo v6, Engine is 2008 Leo v6, It was meant to be complete plug and play good to go..

Did you check'n match the engine codes?

Yes, 4 O2's only.. 2 pre cat, 2 post cat.

Attachments

• Traditional_V6_V8_Drawing_draft2.jpg
    Traditional_V6_V8_Drawing_draft2.jpg
    118.9 KB · Views: 72

Mandah

Reaction score
Members Ride
Ve omega
Car is a 2006 Leo v6, Engine is 2008 Leo v6, It was meant to be complete plug and play good to go..

Did you check'n match the engine codes?

Yes, 4 O2's only.. 2 pre cat, 2 post cat.

Thanks for replying
The vin numbers and engine codes were given to a local Holden and they stated straight swap after checking it was the correct engine to go into the car.
I have called them numerous times (different dealers) over the last few weeks getting part numbers for other bits and pieces and after having the vins and engine codes checked a few times I’ve been told the same thing they are compatible.
This single Holden dealer I took it to for diagnostics is the only one to state the engine is not compatible, I’m begining to think maybe they made a mistake on their report and meant the software requires 6 wire o2 sensors, After doing research and getting more part numbers my original engine required a 5/6wire sensor for the Pre cats, Whereas the current engine was meant to have 4wire sensors.
(The 5/6 is due to conflicting information from Bosch au website proving a 5wire one to match the part number and a local supplier having a 6 wire one that matches the Bosch part number)

*ive learnt my lesson about buying a ve that’s had a backyard engine swap, Even though it was with family still wouldn’t make the same mistake, I’m stuck with a car I can’t seem to fix or onsell without sinking a crap tonne of money into first*

Xplaya

Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV
Had me scratching my head for a second there wondering where the hell they put the extra two sensors .

It does sound like a wire harness swap is needed.

If it drives well, maybe just disable reading 02 sensors. Think a Tech 2 can do this?
Some places do this when aftermarket exhaust systems are installed without the post 02 sensor inputs.
This will only remove the engine light if that is all you are getting.

If it does not drive well, then sounds like you may need to swapout the wire harness to the correct one.

Mandah

Reaction score
Members Ride
Ve omega
Had me scratching my head for a second there wondering where the hell they put the extra two sensors .

It does sound like a wire harness swap is needed.

If it drives well, maybe just disable reading 02 sensors. Think a Tech 2 can do this?
Some places do this when aftermarket exhaust systems are installed without the post 02 sensor inputs.
This will only remove the engine light if that is all you are getting.

If it does not drive well, then sounds like you may need to swapout the wire harness to the correct one.

Hi thanks for replying
I sat at Holden with my mouth open listening to the dribble, they couldn’t even explain where these two imaginary sensors are meant to go or when Holden released a 6 sensor car, I even asked where they would of sat beside the precats with the rears somewhere in the middle, I just don’t understand how a ecu/ecu can require 6 sensors without heavy modifications and surely the tech 2 would of showed reprogramming had occurred.

it’s a 50/50 situation sometimes she drives great other times feels like driving a heavily flogged car.

I’ve been to oztrack the poor blokes couldn’t figure it out they tried to help me and think maybe I’m right with the wrong sensors being used or possibly a wire might be crimped and pinned somewhere behind the engine.

Holden is adamant they can’t turn off or reprogram the computers slightly to work with the sensors, Most places I’ve spoken to said they won’t touch it as no one will modify a sick car which is understandable as at the end of the day they put their business on the line if anything goes wrong.

It’s due to go back into an auto electrician in the morning I’ve got my fingers crossed he finds a pinned wire somewhere just want it fixed so I can sell and get my upgrade.

VS_Pete

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE II SV6 MY12 SPORTWAGON
Yes I hope the auto electrician can help you.
Good luck.
PS. that was easy to read mate thank you.

Mandah

Reaction score
Members Ride
Ve omega
Yes I hope the auto electrician can help you.
Good luck.
PS. that was easy to read mate thank you.

Haha thanks sorry I’m not the greatest with writing and punctuation and I usually don’t write such big items,